Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiburon 2.0 2003 vs Jetta 2.0 2001: Tips and advice?

Tiburon 2.0 2003 vs Jetta 2.0 2001: Tips and advice?

Hey guys. As some of you know, I'm the owner of a 2001 Jetta 2.0.
    I've been working at Hyundai now for my third week, and I'm able to get extremely hot deals on cars there. So I've told them to locate a 2003 Tiburon of the same value so that I can trade the Jetta for it without losing any money. A Tiburon of the same value as my Jetta has roughly the same amount of clicks and on the upside its 2003 and not '01. I can get discounts on service and parts or whatever I need from Hyundai, so I've been thinking that this might be a wise decision. I've looked on the internet to find ratings of the Jetta vs. the Tiburon, and I'm surprised to see that the Tib actually has better value, and less things are known to go wrong with it compared to the Jetta. The only thing that I'm skeptical about is the insurance cost of the Tiburon. I have to pay around $2000 per year for the Jetta, but its VW. Tiburon is Hyundai, but its a 2door, which costs more to insure here to keep the number of teenagers in sports cars down. I'm going to get a quote tomorrow with my fingers crossed. My question to you is simply, should I consider this trade or am I making a terrible mistake.

Reason for trade: I want a sports car. I want a car with cheaper service/parts

Thank you!

I drove the Tiburon GT V6 when it was introduced and really liked it. If you can swing a GTV6 that'd actually make it a true trade up.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

It wouldn't be smart for me to buy a V6. Its expensive to maintain and worse on fuel. I couldn't afford it.

Unless your Jetta is in need of immediate repairs, it best to hold off. You've just started working for Hyundai and it's tempting to grab a new ride, but waiting a couple of months will give you a chance to make a more informed choice. imo.

Its sooooo hard to resist. What I've noticed with Hyundai is that their really low end cars look like something put together by fisher price and feel like paper at above 70km/h, but their more expensive cars (Sonata, Tiburon, Santa Fe, Azera) look quite stunning and feel very solid. The Tiburon is among the latter of course, and its a spirited drive compared with the Jetta which takes its sweet old time getting up to speed. I really would love something with a bit more zip.

The Jetta is in great shape and works perfectly, but its already lost over half of its value. In that sense I wouldn't really be losing....or would I?

Well I'm going to let this thread simmer for tonight and test drive the Tiburon GT on Forza motorsport. Goodnight or good day depending on where you are.
    Last edited by DesmoRob; 01-22-2007 at 10:19 PM.

If you've had the Jetta for some time you know it's quirks and perks. The Tiburon is used and you don't really know it was traded because someone just wanted something else or the car had some issue. If you are going to do it, make sure the warranty coverage is transferrable. Also, see if they'll let you take the car and drive it for a couple of days before you make a final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche
    Hey guys. As some of you know, I'm the owner of a 2001 Jetta 2.0.
    I've been working at Hyundai now for my third week, and I'm able to get extremely hot deals on cars there. So I've told them to locate a 2003 Tiburon of the same value so that I can trade the Jetta for it without losing any money. A Tiburon of the same value as my Jetta has roughly the same amount of clicks and on the upside its 2003 and not '01. I can get discounts on service and parts or whatever I need from Hyundai, so I've been thinking that this might be a wise decision. I've looked on the internet to find ratings of the Jetta vs. the Tiburon, and I'm surprised to see that the Tib actually has better value, and less things are known to go wrong with it compared to the Jetta. The only thing that I'm skeptical about is the insurance cost of the Tiburon. I have to pay around $2000 per year for the Jetta, but its VW. Tiburon is Hyundai, but its a 2door, which costs more to insure here to keep the number of teenagers in sports cars down. I'm going to get a quote tomorrow with my fingers crossed. My question to you is simply, should I consider this trade or am I making a terrible mistake.

Reason for trade: I want a sports car. I want a car with cheaper service/parts

Thank you!
    If you want a sports car look else where. If you want a sporty economy car, then take it out for a test drive and make sure you like it.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    They are surprisingly reliable for a Hyundai. I think the company has been working quite hard to turn that around. Will take a while before lots of people realize it though.

However, you were talking about it not taking a while to get up to speed and.. well.. the car is surprisingly underpowered -.- The GT is about what the low-end coupe should be, considering this is the Hyundai sports car.

They're very nice looking though, I think Hyundai largely copied the design from the Supra.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

The Tib can't be that much faster than what you've got, it is lighter but the engines are really underpowered (especially the V6). Maybe the lower seating position of the car is making it feel faster?

They are supposed to handle quite well though.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

The Tiburon is a great looking car with credible performance, which puts all us car snobs in an akward position. If it wore a Honda or Mitsubishi badge, it'd probably be a legend by now.

In short, I Love the car — but Hate the badge.

I reckon those turn-of-the millennium Jettas were hit-or-miss — either they'd run forever or everything on the ****ers would break within five or six years. If you think you've picked a winner, I'd stick with it and see what Hyundai comes up with next. They're threatening to build a proper sports car, and if they do it, it could be great, despite the badge.
    Cheers.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Thanks guys. I got my insurance quote today, and I also found out that yes my insurance is transferable. By getting coverage for 1million rather than 2, and taking off vandalism and fire coverage, I get to roughly the same price per year as I do with the Jetta. Its a battle, and I don't think its smart. I want the car though! The bare bones Tiburon does pull significantly more than the Jetta btw. It's got 23 more horses, and although that doesn't seem like much, it makes quite a difference.

RobPorsche, good luck and I hope you will be happy with your final decision. I agree with LandQuail comments - The Tiburon is a great looking car with credible performance. I think the Tiburon is easily the most beautiful Hyundai ever made.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Rob, the 2.0 is preferable to the 2.7 because it's most of the performance for a fraction of the economy. I'd go for it. See if you can get the twin exhaust from the 2.7 fitted

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Rob, the 2.0 is preferable to the 2.7 because it's most of the performance for a fraction of the economy. I'd go for it. See if you can get the twin exhaust from the 2.7 fitted
    The 2-litre cars already come with the dual exhausts as standard, I think.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    You're suggesting he already start ricing his car and he hasn't even gotten it yet. IMO, for the 4-pot a single pipe with a shiny 4.5" muffler tip should do the trick.

Thread Information