Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chop Comp Week #9

^^^^ Lmao. Thx. It was almost as hard to do as the "chop" !!!

...& THX.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper
    This should be the final version, might do a bit more though not sure.

LOVE the Martini stripes! - They've always been one of my favorite race car color themes since the '60's...

Nice job changing out the wheels too... but why leave the license plate?
    Last edited by Motorace; 01-27-2007 at 07:33 PM.
    Honi soit qui mal y pense

Quote Originally Posted by MRDETROITMETAL
    OK heres mine. Now obviously I went an entirely different direction than the rest of you here (so far), so what else is new ?

So because I redesigned the Entire car, by rebrushing every centimeter of it one way or another, I took extra time to bring back as much of the original sharpness as I could given the time to do this in, and I dont think I can get it much better than this now anyway.

I just hope you all may appreciate the time put into this to bring it up to competitiveness here in the face of your photorealist chops. I included a seperate 800 pix of just the car, if you prefer to use that one for the poll, to me it is more complete with the entire picture, but thats just for my purposes, you may choose to post the single car picture if you want.

THX.

One of your better chops. Still a bit out of it but in a good way, lol (Lighting effects are bad).
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

OK heres mine. Now obviously I went an entirely different direction than the rest of you here (so far), so what else is new ?
    Interesting how you turned the front wheel/tire in your chop.

A lot of design elements are subjective (i.e. there's no 'right' way or 'wrong' way when it comes to many of the design elements) - so there's no point in commenting on a lot of these works; but if you're looking for honest criticism, I think you could've gone a little thinner with the portion of the roof directly above the door glass, and also have a little less bubble to the roof in general - it seems to bulge too high for my tastes.

Still, it's an amazing amount of work, and I acknowledge ALL of you who've submitted chops.
    Last edited by Motorace; 01-29-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorace
    Interesting how you turned the front wheel/tire in your chop.

A lot of design elements are subjective (i.e. there's no 'right' way or 'wrong' way when it comes to many of the design elements) - so there's no point in commenting on a lot of these works; but if you're looking for honest criticism, I think you could've gone a little thinner with the portion of the roof directly above the door glass, and also have a little less bubble to the roof in general - it seems to bulge too high for my tastes.

Still, it's an amazing amount of work, and I acknowledge all of you who've submitted chops.
    You have a good eye !..I thought about BOTH of those elements you mentioned, and went the way I did because I figured the rigidity of the roof needed a strong side support with the "bubble" top design, see in spite of these being "chops" there is still some consideration put into them towards engineering, tho I am not qualified to do that kinda work, I still do have to consider structure when redesigning a car.... & I agree too that the chops on this contest are really decent stuff !!!

For The Love Of God, Get Rid Of The Lighting Effects!!!
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Proportion, proportion, proportion

You have a good eye !..I thought about BOTH of those elements you mentioned, and went the way I did because I figured the rigidity of the roof needed a strong side support with the "bubble" top design, see in spite of these being "chops" there is still some consideration put into them towards engineering, tho I am not qualified to do that kinda work, I still do have to consider structure when redesigning a car....
    Thanks for the compliment.

I'm an automotive engineer with a keen eye for design, and you would not be the first artist to design a car so it looks right and then tell the engineers to go figure out a way to build it that way, so do not be overly concerned with the engineering side of things. Your job as an artist is to make the car pleasing to the eye. I cannot help you with making the computer graphics or the lighting more pleasing, but I would like to offer some thoughts on design to anyone willing to take the time to read all this...

I'm not advocating a return to the excesses of cars of the 1950's - when stylists absolutely ruled everything, and the engineers had to use thick cross-braced frames and add massive reinforcing brackets to keep all that excessive bodywork from flapping in the wind.

Federal CAFE & Safety standards have reigned the stylists in, such that now the engineers get much more say in the car's styling. Designers have loose-fitting straightjackets around them now, but that is their challenge... If cars all have to be designed like 'jellybeans' to reduce the aerodynamic drag, how can the designer differentiate his/her product so it stands out from the crowd?

Alex Tremulis, the very gifted stylist and engineer (now deceased), was sitting right in front of me at a design conference in 1981. He suddenly jumped to his feet and interrupted the proceedings with his now famous outburst: "When are we going to stop the torture of innocent air?!!" He got a standing ovation, including by the heads of all the major design groups.

Within three years (the typical design cycle), American cars started showing marked aerodynamic improvements (witness the softly rounded nose of the 1984 T-birds)...

Clever engineers can embrace the challenge of finding solutions to whatever engineering problems your designs generate, because if the car isn't attractive enough to sell, then the engineers will be out of work too.

Nature still sets some limits - like the engineers will tell you they need a minimum amount of airflow to cool the engine... they cannot totally circumvent the laws of physics, but as you make cars lighter and more aerodynamic, you can get the same vehicle performance from a smaller engine, which means less cooling airflow is needed... The Lotus Elise is a great example of that (heck, ALL Lotuses exemplify this principle!)

My point is: Trust your eye for proportions and design your cars however they look best to you. Let the engineers worry about how to make the cars as beautiful as you can design them - you artists should be pushing the envelope!

I also had the good fortune to sit next to Jack Telnack on a long flight. He was the head of Ford's design department for many years (now retired). I asked him what made a good designer, and he said there are three things they need to know:

1) Proportion
    2) Proportion
    3) Proportion

Shapes that please the human eye are not an accident. They are pre-programmed deep in our brains, based on evolution. Without being concious of it, we just naturally know what looks healthy on another human. There are certain proportions (exemplified by the 'golden ratio'), which work well. That's why there is near universal agreement between both men and women - on the women who are considered exceptionally beautiful.

Mr. Telnack went on to tell me that one of the best ways to learn "proportion" is to become skilled at drawing the human figure. What looks attractive on the human body can be transferred into the proportions of automotive design.

For example, the front ends of cars are typically based on faces, with the headlights as the eyes, and a smile may or may not be designed into the grille, but a frown is best avoided.

Sexual proportions also enhance a car's proportions. "La Linea Pininfarina" - the coke-bottle line that gently flows along the tops of the fenders on so many beautiful Ferraris - imitates the proportions of a woman - wider at the shoulders (front fenders) and hips (rear fenders), and narrower at the waist (the doors).

One of the sexiest cars ever designed is the Jaguar C-type (1951-1953). The way that Malcolm Sayer designed the soft curve of the nose to drop gently down between the softly rounded front fenders (like a woman's belly disappears between her thighs) is so erotic it is positively indecent.

If power is to be emphasized, then muscular haunches over the rear tires of rear-wheel drive cars imitate the proportions that our leg muscles are much larger than our arms.

There also must be left/right symmetry in cars as in human faces. This is so intuitively obvious it's not even questioned. The fact that occasionally some cars break this rule with an assymetrical element (like Raymond Lowey's Avanti - with it's off-center hood bulge leading up to the driver's side of the dash) only proves the rule all the more (like a beauty mark on a beautiful woman's face).

Beautiful human proportions determine beautiful automotive designs. That's why I say "trust your eye". You already have a great sense of proportion pre-programmed into you over hundreds of thousands of years of evolutionary development. Learn to trust it. (& If you're not sure about it, then take a class in drawing the human figure for every class you take in computer graphics).
    Last edited by Motorace; 02-24-2007 at 10:17 PM.

^^^^Excellent Post.

this is what i came up with after some Hours..

Final Version:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why a red Tint? [O.o]

im wondering that too. Also why it never got resized. Oh well. I couldnt get mine anywhere close to finished this week either. Too much school and soccer.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

ok, this isnt great.. did it today in a bout 2 hours. maybe less, and i was hung over. i think it finished up looking not unlike a MDM chop. not something to be proud of, but i can see how when you are not aiming for quality, it gets to be a lot easier.

hope you enjoy
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

im not entering this. just lettin everyone see what i started. i was goin a little future with this chop, just because i liked the idea and no one ever does it. far from done, i might finish it and post it later.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Quote Originally Posted by Motorace
    LOVE the Martini stripes! - They've always been one of my favorite race car color themes since the '60's...

Nice job changing out the wheels too... but why leave the license plate?

Thanks Motorace. Yep, left the license plate as removing it seemed like too much trouble to still go through for some reason Guess I was getting lazy!

Anywhay, here's another update, this one should be the final final one.

Thread Information