Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2007 Top 10

Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2007 Top 10

I've compiled a list of the cars that reached the biggest prices at this year's Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale event. Comparing to last year there were more cars on sale but only four scored seven figures. Unfortunately B-J is mostly about American muscle cars which aren't my specialty, so I can't comment on the prices.

1. Lot 1301 - 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 "Super Snake" - $5,500,000

Engine: 427 SUPERCHARGED
    Transmission Type: 3-SPEED AUTOMATIC
    Horsepower: 800
    Cylinders: V8
    Exterior Color: DARK BLUE
    Interior Color: BLACK

"Cobra To End All Cobras" by Harley E. Cluxton

I've been asked to comment on the authentication of CSX 3015 and its relevance in and to the collector world. In the last ten years, there has been an astronomical increase in values running through almost every facet of the collector car market.
    With vast amounts of dollars, euros, sterling and yen changing hands, it is no wonder that Manufacturers like Ferrari, Mercedes Benz, Porsche and Jaguar all have their own 'official' Certification Centers. With the blessing of Carroll Shelby, the Shelby American Automobile Club, through its' Shelby American World Registry, lists every Cobra, every Shelby Mustang, and every Ford GT by chassis number with its known ownership history. Originality is the operative word in Collector Car Values. Generally, the degree of originality coupled with pedigree and limited production drives the price.
    CSX 3015 is absolutely the real deal.
    CSX 3015 is one of only 23 (not 22) 427 competition roadsters built;

• On September 7, 1965 CSX 3015 was shipped and invoiced to Ford Advanced Vehicles, England as a 427 Cobra Competition roadster together with CSX 3014 (another 427 Cobra Competition) and two R-model Shelby's (5R107 and 5R209) for a European promotional tour.
    • It returned back from Europe in late 1966 still as a 427 Cobra Competition.
    • Sometime early to mid 1967, CSX 3015 was transformed into the Super Snake and reclassified as 427 Cobra Semi-Competition (S.C.).
    • The reason was quite simple; a 427 Cobra Competition didn't have mufflers, windshield, bumpers, etc. It was a race car only and not street legal.
    • Although many SC's were raced and never saw a public road- all 427 Cobra SC's had titles and were legal to drive on public roads.
    • 427 competition and SC Cobras have different hips and noses. The February 1968 Road & Track pictures clearly show the hips and nose of a 427 competition roadster, not an SC.
    As history shows, CSX 3015 is one of two Super Snake Cobras built. The other being CSX 3303 built for Bill Cosby. CSX 3303 was a 1967 427 street car retained by Shelby American as a PR car and then made into a Super Snake for Bill Cosby. Cosby's record album titled '200 MPH' attests to the fact of why he only drove it once before returning it to Shelby American. Shelby American sold it to S and C Motors in San Francisco, who then sold it to their customer, Tony Maxey. Maxey destroyed himself and CSX 3303 by driving off of a cliff and into the Pacific Ocean. Sadly, Brian Angliss only opted to revive CSX 3303 leaving Mr. Maxey the only one still dead! This copy of CSX 3303 exists in the U.K. today and probably will be offered at an auction. It has absolutely no collector value.
    I know Competition Cobras and have had a ten year ownership history with an original, unmolested 427 Cobra Competition CSX 3017. When CSX 3015 arrived home, in Scottsdale, CSX 3017 was already on jack stands for comparison. After thorough inspection, I can state that CSX 3015 is a full Competition Roadster, still retaining its original body with its 1967 aluminum 'Super Snake' hood. Steve Davis and I scraped through two layers of paint; black and Viking blue to find its' brilliant Guardsman Blue.

• It has its original date coded 1965 Competition Girling CR and BR calipers.
    • It still has its' 427 Competition 377 rear end with its' original rear end oil cooler and pumps.
    • Unbelievably, it still has its' original 1965 date coded engine block, 5M17, December 17, 1965.
    • I found that 3015 still had its' original headers with its' original chromed side pipes that had been spray painted flat black!
    In fact, I found CSX 3015 so 'period original' I have opted to renew instead of restore.
    Why is CSX 3015 so historically significant?
    The short and long answer is Carroll Shelby.

• He built at a time when Americans were just Americans- and proud to be Americans.
    • He told me he built it just to see how fast it was- and he told me it was a Monster that threw belts off on a regular basis!
    • Steve Earl told me he remembers Carroll driving CSX 3015 in the 'Turismo Visitadores' fun-run across Nevada, waking whole towns, blowing out windows, throwing belts and catching fire a couple of times, but finishing.
    How cool is that!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by go.pawel; 01-24-2007 at 01:00 PM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

2. Lot 1304 - 1954 Dodge Firearrow II Convertible Concept Car - $1,100,000

Engine: 241 RED RAM HEMI
    Transmission Type: AUTOMATIC
    Exterior Color: YELLOW

The Dodge Firearrows were a grouping of four one-off concept/dream cars designed by Chrysler's legendary design chief Virgil Exner and built by Ghia of Turin, Italy. The series consisted of a full scale mockup (Firearrow I), THIS CAR Fire II a running, driving fully roadable car based on that mockup. Firearrow III a sport coupe, a further evolution of the earlier Firearrows and finally Firearrow IV, a fully roadable convertible with folding top, windows and fully designed and engineered to be translated into series production.

Unfortunately, Chrysler made the decision to not proceed into production and these cars are but a great moment in automotive history.

These cars are the only survivors of the wonderful early series of Chrysler concept cars that were designed as serious, elegant Italian styled sports cars which could very easily have found a market niche to compete with the Corvette, Thunderbird and several European marques. They not only are wonderful looking cars, but are powered by the legendary Hemi engine and a pleasure to drive.

3. Lot 1304.1 - 1954 Dodge Firearrow IV Convertible Concept Car - $1,100,000

Engine: 241 RED RAM HEMI
    Exterior Color: RED
    Interior Color: BLACK/WHITE

Description above.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Finally a proper post of the Shelby, everyone's been talking about it but it's good to get past the rumors and to hear some solid info on the car, still seems like crazy money was paid for it though..
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower
    Finally a proper post of the Shelby, everyone's been talking about it but it's good to get past the rumors and to hear some solid info on the car, still seems like crazy money was paid for it though..
    Yeah....$5.5 million dollars....thats incredible. I just wish it had been originally built in a manual, heheh.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    " Sadly, Brian Angliss only opted to revive CSX 3303 leaving Mr. Maxey the only one still dead! This copy of CSX 3303 exists in the U.K. today and probably will be offered at an auction. It has absolutely no collector value. "

I don't quite understand this: Does this mean that he made a copy of it? Or he rebuilt it? Why would it have no collector value if it's the same car rebuilt? If its anything of the original it still has history and was still owned by bill cosby, and would still be a cool car.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

4. Lot 1281 - 1993 Hummer H1 "CNN's Warrior One" - $1,000,000

Engine: 454
    Horsepower: 450
    Exterior Color: TAN

454cid/450hp GM crate that has been converted from diesel to gasoline. CNN producers and photo journalists used this Hummer while embedded with the First Battalion, 7th Marines in Iraq in 2003 and was under heavy fire near Bagdad in April of 2003. In the summer of 2006, the TV series "Overhaulin' "gave it a complete restoration with numerous upgrades including a 6" suspension lift, custom leather interior, 37" BFGoodrich tires, and one-off Foose wheels. The stereo system has been upgraded with 7500 watts of Kicker audio, 250lb subwoofers and 6 LCD monitors. 4 of the nation's air brush artists spent 240 hours creating exterior images of journalists and military personnel as a tribute to those who served and covered the war. All of the proceeds from the sale of "Warrior One" will go to the Fisher House Foundation serving our military in their time of need.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft
    I don't quite understand this: Does this mean that he made a copy of it? Or he rebuilt it? Why would it have no collector value if it's the same car rebuilt? If its anything of the original it still has history and was still owned by bill cosby, and would still be a cool car.
    He didn't rebuild it, only made a copy. A recreation. So you can't say that it was owned by Cosby. The only thing that the new car shares with the old one is the chassis number.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft
    " Sadly, Brian Angliss only opted to revive CSX 3303 leaving Mr. Maxey the only one still dead! This copy of CSX 3303 exists in the U.K. today and probably will be offered at an auction. It has absolutely no collector value. "

The one that was sold is CSX 3015. I have heard that there was a second, I believe that it was slightly different.....not sure though.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Another Cobra...

5. Lot 1310 - 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Roadster CSX3301 - $935,000

Engine: 427
    Transmission Type: 4-SPEED
    Horsepower: 500
    Exterior Color: WHITE

This super rare AC Cobra #3301 is the first car in the third group of 427 Cobra production, 3301 was completed at AC cars on 9/1/1966 for delivery to Ford advanced vehicles in Slough, England. As it was neither shipped nor invoiced to Shelby American. This was one of only two 427 cars invoiced to Ford Advanced vehicles and used for show and track purposes. Its first owner after FAV was located in Paris, France and this car remained there until 1977. CSX 3301 is listed in the Shelby World Registry where all of its history is documented. No expense spared restoration just completed. Only 10,000 original kilometers are on this pristine automobile. Pictures of the original ledger at AC cars proving its authenticity.

6. Lot 1314 - 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Coupe - $880,000

Engine: 427
    Horsepower: 0
    Cylinders: 8
    Exterior Color: WHITE

This Camaro is one of the rare ZL-1 427 cu. in. Allum. Motor Factory race cars. This car retains its original 427 block and its known that there is only a hand full of cars that still have the original block This car was a race car in its early life and was tubbed and roll gage was installed. the restorer replaced all the body panels from the firewall back to restore it to original condition and keep the integrity of the car. this car comes with the Copo connection certification and is #51 on the ZL-1 list.

No pics unfortunately

7. Lot 1293 - 1955 Kurtis 500SX Roadster - $852,500

Engine: 6600CC
    Transmission Type: MANUAL
    Horsepower: 500
    Exterior Color: BURGUNDY
    Interior Color: BLUE

Frank Kurtis, was at one time, the largest manufacturer of racing cars in the world in the late 1940s and 1950s and won hundreds of different championships from midget Speedway to Indianapolis. 500SX Chassis number SX-001. This car is the ex Mickey Thompson car, the first of six built. Its build was chronicled in the February, 1955 issue of Hot Rod magazine for first owner, Albert Hosking. After Hosking's death, the second owner of SX-001 was Californian hot rodder, race promoter and land speed record holder Mickey Thompson. Thompson also describes some of his experiences with the car in his 1964 autobiography Challenger. In Thompson's ownership, the car was raced in California by Thompson and other drivers including Jerry Unser of the famed Unser family. Acquired in 1996, a full restoration commenced in 2002 with completion in mid 2003. Since the chassis off restoration to concours standards and to original specification, the car has been invited to and participated in a number of events including both the prestigious Goodwood Festival of Speed and the Goodwood Revival Meetings in the UK. Originally fitted with a Cadillac V8 engine, this was replaced with Pontiac V8 in the late 1950s under Mickey Thompson's ownership, when he was sponsored by Pontiac. The engine new in the car car is a one-off special 1958 370 cubic inch Pontiac V8 engine built by noted Chicago race engineer and builder Ray Nichels. Detailed car specifications: tubular chassis, alloy body, front suspension-solid axle, rear suspension- Hailbrand Champ quick change, Koni shock absorbers, steering-worm and roller, Disk brakes- on all 4 wheels, wheels- hailbrand kidney beans.

8. Lot 1285 - 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe aka "The Last Sting Ray" - $660,000

Engine: 427 L36
    Horsepower: 390
    Exterior Color: SILVER

The "Last" Corvette Sting Ray, VIN #22940, is powered by a 427cid/390hp V8 with a 4-speed transmission, power steering and factory air conditioning. Documented with its Tank Sticker this piece of history has been the recipient of a professional frame-off restoration. Featured in a six episode television program on SPEED that has followed this car from restoration to being offered at No Reserve at Barrett-Jackson. Awards: Multiple NCRS Top Flight certifications, Bloomington Gold certified, Vette Fest Gold Spinner award, Vette Fest Triple Crown award, Meadowbrook Concours De Elegance Lions award, and Corvette Expo Excellence award & Most Significant Corvette award. Memorabilia: All awards, trophies, certificates, judging sheets, owner history, factory documentation (build sheet), books, manuals, magazine articles will go to Buyer. Also, buyer will receive items donated from: Dana Forrester (Artist), the illustrated Corvetter Print series, M.F. Dobbins (author), Auto ect. neon clock, NCRS membership plus care package), Meguiar's (wax and car care products), Michael Bruce and Associate (author), ET graphics (last Corvette apparel), DVD of last sting Ray six episode speed TV programs.

9. Lot 1299 - 1966 Dodge Hemi Coronet Deluxe 4-door - $660,000

Engine: 426 HEMI
    Exterior Color: RED
    Interior Color: TAN

This is the world's rarest 426-Hemi car. Between 1964-1971 approximately 11,000 cars were factory produced with the 426 Hemi option. All of those cars were 2 door cars including less than 200 convertibles, except for 5 cars. Three were ordered by American customers. One Export car and one Canadian car. One U.S. car is in Don Garlits Museum. The 2nd U.S. car is in Minnesota and this car is for sale at "No Reserve." Galen Govier inspected and listed this car in his Registry. This car retains its original engine, transmission, build sheet, certicard and window sticker. It also has the original title and DMV receipts back to 1966. Restoration just completed.

10. Lot 1300 - 2007 Shelby GT Fastback "Serial #001"

Engine: 4.6 LITER
    Horsepower: 325
    Exterior Color: BLACK

"Ford Motor Company is pleased to offer for auction the first 2007 Shelby GT Mustang, with proceeds going to Carroll Shelby's Children's Foundation. The Shelby GT is the newest performance Mustang to join the lineup, and will begin production at Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas January 2007. This car will be the first to be produced, and will carry Shelby authentication plate Number One. The Shelby GT Mustang combines the best in classic Shelby looks and Ford Racing Performance Parts for a well-balanced, corner-carving Mustang that is equally at home on the track or the street. These cars start life as a Mustang GT at the factory in Flat Rock, Michigan and are shipped to Las Vegas for modification by Shelby. Ford Racing power and handling upgrade packages increase performance by approx 25hp, and lower the car 1.5" while tightening the suspension and improving handling. The car is also fitted with a Hurst short throw shifter and X-pipe exhaust. Some key Shelby design components include hood scoop, hood pins, grille insert, sill plate and floor mats, "Shelby GT" side stripe, "Shelby" badging on trunk lid, and a custom authentication plate on the dash. The Shelby GT will be available in white or black only, with silver LeMans stripes. White cars will be built with polished 18" wheels, while black cars will have black 18" wheels. This special edition Mustang will be available in both manual and automatic transmission."

Thread Information