Thread: Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2007 Top 10

11. Lot 1311 - 1930 Duesenberg J Arlington Sedan - $660,000

Engine: 420
    Transmission Type: 3-SPEED
    Horsepower: 265
    Cylinders: 8
    Exterior Color: TAN/IVORY
    Interior Color: TAN

One-Off Arlington style long wheel base (154") Body by Derham - Engine J-232, 420 cubic inch, 8 cylinder, 4 valves per cylinder, 265 horsepower. Frame #2261 certified original by Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Club, Certification #D-122. A.A.C.A. National first award, Classic Car Club of America National first senior badge #2655 awarded 2004 Grand Classic. Mechanically restored, low mileage, solid, smooth, runs, drives exceptional. Body, engine, frame and all componenets,original as delivered to first owner Mr. H.S. Kehn, Chicago, IL.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    9. Lot 1299 - 1966 Dodge Hemi Coronet Deluxe 4-door - $660,000

Engine: 426 HEMI
    Transmission Type: AUTOMATIC
    Cylinders: V8
    Exterior Color: RED
    Interior Color: TAN

This is the world's rarest 426-Hemi car. Between 1964-1971 approximately 11,000 cars were factory produced with the 426 Hemi option. All of those cars were 2 door cars including less than 200 convertibles, except for 5 cars. Three were ordered by American customers. One Export car and one Canadian car. One U.S. car is in Don Garlits Museum. The 2nd U.S. car is in Minnesota and this car is for sale at "No Reserve." Galen Govier inspected and listed this car in his Registry. This car retains its original engine, transmission, build sheet, certicard and window sticker. It also has the original title and DMV receipts back to 1966. Restoration just completed.
    The ultimate Q-car...?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Make You Feel Sick, People Paying $5,500,000 for a car & yet we cant afford to feed starving children ?
    Is it me or is this whole thing a little screwy when you look at the big picture.
    But dont get me wrong i love car's and always will, but things like this still makes my head shake.

This is obviously the place to sell cars and certainly not buy them.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Yup, I don't think that guy would have made $5.5mil off eBay!

Can you imagine the eBay and PayPal fees from that?

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6

Well a regular auction house usually asks a 10% premium.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6

I think it wouldn't be higher than the auction house fees. I don't know the specific fees Barrett-Jackson charges, but usually it's a fixed charge of a few thousand $ for the item to be included in the auction, plus (when the car sales) 10% from the seller and 10% from the buyer. So, in this case, more than 1,1 million $.
    Last edited by go.pawel; 01-25-2007 at 04:46 AM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    I think it wouldn't be higher than the auction house fees. I don't know the specific fees Barrett-Jackson charges, but usually it's a fixed charge of a few thousand $ for the item to be included in the auction, plus (when the car sales) 10% from the seller and 10% from the buyer. So, in this case, more than 1,1 million $.
    When I sold my last guitar on eBay, this is the breakdown...

Final selling price: £355
    eBay fees: £11.62
    PayPal fees: £12.27

So, I think you're both right

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Well a regular auction house usually asks a 10% premium.
    Barret Jackson makes 16%(8% from the seller, 8% from the buyer)
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by Frenvy
    Make You Feel Sick, People Paying $5,500,000 for a car & yet we cant afford to feed starving children ?
    Is it me or is this whole thing a little screwy when you look at the big picture.
    But dont get me wrong i love car's and always will, but things like this still makes my head shake.
    Why does this post always come up when cars are being discussed?

Yes, children are starving, but the people buying these cars are often the ones donating the most to charity. If these guys have millions of dollars, they have a right to buy expensive toys.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

1966 Dodge Coronet Deluxe 4-Door Hemi Car

I have been collecting muscle cars for almost 20 years. I started with a 1968 Camaro, then a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 car, a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi car, a 1968 Roadrunner, a 1969 Dodge Superbee, a 1970 Dodge Superbird, a 1970 HemiCuda, a 1971 HemiCuda, a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II Hemi Convertible, a 1970 Chevelle SS454 LS6 Convertible, and on and on. Once I had all of the good looking and popularly desireable cars, my frocus shifted toward more oddball stuff. The rarer the better. I had seen the American ordered red 4-door hemi car in a collection at the beginning of my collector days, yet turned my nose up at it. But a closer look at it caused me to crave it more than any other car ever had before in my life. In the early-mid 1990's, I traded my perfectly restored, red with white bucket interior, 1971 HemiCuda toward the 4-door hemi car. Then a few years later I found another 4-door car for sale in Hemmings Motor News. The car was in Canada. I called the advertiser who told me he had just sold it. He gave me the new owner's telephone number, and I called that new owner. He told me he was going to keep the car to drive. I asked the guy to call me if he ever decided to sell it. A little over 2 years later, the guy from Canada called me to give me first dibs at buying the car. We agreed on a price and I purchased the vehicle. Then I went on a search for the balance of the 4 hemi door cars produced at the factory. There were 2 others I had heard of. One was and is in Finland. The other was and is in the Don Garlits Race Museum. Only recently I have confirmed the fifth in Minnesota. Don flat out refused to sell me his car for any amount of money. Don said, "not for $5 million, not any amount of money. For as long as I am alive, this car stays with me." The Finnish owner, Seppo Piki, expressed a similar position. Seppo said, "I will never sell my 4-door hemi car. I am saving it for my son." Seppo's son, at present is bearly a toddler.

I wanted to own all of the 4-door hemi cars. This was not to be. So, I began restortation on the Canadian car, anticipating its entry in Barrett Jackson 2007. Because the Canadian car would not be ready in time for BJ, I had the red american car painted and freshened up for the auction. With the sale prices of 2007 being way below 2006 and expected increases, I had a feeling the car was doomed to bid below my desired $1-2 million. I was right. The car bid to $600,000 on the block. I would not let the car go for this sum, so I had the highest bidder agree to let me keep the car by paying the buyers and sellers commission and a chunk of change for his troubles. The car will go up for sale again in the near future, but it has not yet changed hands, and will not for any less than I believe it is worth to me and other collectors of rare cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Actually I was watching it today and a classic Porsche Turbo Slantnose went for only 39,000 and then a Pantera in good condidtion went for 38,000...

It's the muscle car fanboys that get totally ripped off, though they can afford it.

Thread Information