Thread: Ultimatecarpage.com update (01-25-07)

Ultimatecarpage.com update (01-25-07)

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

As mentioned earlier this week, Jaguars will be raced once again in an international series. This brings back memories to the two periods when the British company dominated sportscar racing and shone at Le Mans in particular. The first successful period started in 1951 with the introduction of the C-Type, but things really got going when the D-Type hit the tracks in 1954. This iconic sportscar featured an all new monocoque chassis and a very slippery body. Today we take a look at two Long Nose Works D-Types, which were driven to victory for three years running from 1955 to 1957. The two featured cars are the actual 1955 and 1957 winners.
    Jaguar XJR-9 After the first period of Jaguar success, the race was dominated by Ferrari, Ford and Porsche, but in the 1980s the chase was on for more Le Mans wins. Prepared by Tom Walkinshaw's TWR, the highly advanced V12-engined XJR Group C cars gradually fought their way to the top. In 1987 Jaguar was very convincingly crowned World Champion, but a Le Mans victory still eluded them. For 1988 the team fielded no fewer than five examples of the latest evolution; the XJR-9. Thanks in no small part to a great drive from Jan Lammers to bring the car home stuck in fourth gear, Jaguar managed to record their sixth Le Mans win. Pictured in our XJR-9 gallery are two of the examples constructed in 1988, including the Le Mans winner.

Jaguar D-Type Works Long Nose
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1598

Jaguar XJR-9 LM
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...php&carnum=764

Regards,
    Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Is it possible I saw the XJR-9 driving a few laps with Jan Lammer behind the wheel at the 2003 British Racing Day at Zandvoort? Could also have been 2002 though... I believe it was the year that the E-type excisted for XX-years...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

The E-Type was launched at Geneva in 1961.
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 01-25-2007 at 05:19 AM.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    The E-Type was launched at Geneva in 1961.
    Ok, then it was 2001 (that long again)... It was 40 years E-type, so they had 40 E-types lined up. And I Jan Lammer drove a few laps in a Jaguar Le Mans car, and I believe it was this one...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    Ok, then it was 2001 (that long again)... It was 40 years E-type, so they had 40 E-types lined up. And I Jan Lammer drove a few laps in a Jaguar Le Mans car, and I believe it was this one...
    Very nice. It is indeed still fully operational.

(Ted Joans)

You got two beauties this week Wouter. The D-Type is one of my most favorite Jags.

Thread Information