Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermeccanica Italia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Another Italo-American Hybrid from the sixties and a nice one too...
    Last edited by henk4; 01-25-2007 at 02:11 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Daring to compare Italias with Ferrari 275 GTB NART Spyders

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    What a great story, but the end of the post came too soon.
    The more owners with a love like yours makes the world (and UCP) a happier place
    Thank you for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Thank you for this interesting story. I can add some shots from the Quail Lodge during the 2006 Monterey festivities. This car is owned by someone from California
    & Thank YOU for photographing the Italia and sharing your pics with us! This owner has certainly done a great job restoring it! I love the glass over the headlights. I was surprised to notice the glovebox door had been upholstered over – being a California car, perhaps he installed an A/C unit in the space where the glove box used to be?

Whenever I look at an Italia Spyder, I am reminded of one of the rarest and most lustworthy of all Ferraris – 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB-4 NART Spyder (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...ART.Spyder.jpg). Luigi Chinetti special-ordered twenty-five of these from the gifted coachbuilder Scaglietti, (not to be confused with the gifted designer Scaglione who styled the Italia Spyder). Chinetti was Ferrari’s main US importer – hence their designation as NART Spyders after Chinetti's North American Racing Team. Unfortunately for all of us, only ten were ever delivered, though some 275 GTB Coupes were later cut to make them into NART Spyder clones (how Richard Straman got started).

Both the NART Spyder and the Italia Spyder have a long nose and short rear deck with a subtle-yet-functional ducktail spoiler and inset headlights that are so pleasing to the eyes (but a nightmare to form in sheet metal - you'll typically find these only on handmade bodies). Both also have steeply raked windshields. Here’s a nice quote from this website (http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C07629?pt=pf ) which I think could be applied to both cars:

“It is everything you think of when you imagine post-war sportscars -sleek, powerful and blessed with exquisite proportion and detail. Lines flow cleanly from one into the other and most important, as they used to say, it looks like it's going a hundred miles an hour when it's standing still.”

When offered the choice, will I accept the gift of a Ferrari NART Spyder over an Italia? – In a heartbeat due to its provenance and its V-12 motor (and you gotta love those shark-gill vents on the side!) The last NART Spyder that sold at auction (Christie’s in Monterey 2005) went for US$ 3.9 Million (& worth every penny). That car not only had Ferrari’s amazing race history going for it, and the four cam motor (as did all ten NART Spyders), but that particular NART Spyder was one of only two with an alloy body, and it was the only NART Spyder that had an actual race history (1967 Sebring).

An Intermeccanica Italia Spyder will never even come close to a Ferrari 275 GTB’s provenance so I cannot imagine it could ever come close to that Ferrari’s value; but this has its plus's to go with its minus. It is difficult for me to imagine that a US$ 3.9 million car will be driven much in anger for the sheer pleasure of it, but I’ve little doubt that the new owner can afford to do whatever he wants with it.

The question ya gotta ask yourself is: If you had $3.9 million to spend, would you rather have a $3.9 Million Ferrari or have seven homes around the world worth half a million dollars each, AND an Intermeccanica Italia in the garage of each that you're not afraid to drive…? (Or three $1 Million homes with two Italias in each so your wife will let you drive more often...) Speaking strictly for me, there’s no contest – I’ll take the practical enjoyment over the provenance. Criminy! – just the annual insurance bill on the Ferrari alone would likely buy a beautifully restored Italia. If ever there were an undervalued car, I think the Intermeccanica Italia is it.

I attribute this mainly to the car being so unknown. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve looked in supposedly comprehensive books about "Sports-Cars" and found at least a page on Iso (a similar vintage Euro-American hybrid), but almost never a mention of the Intermeccanica Italia, despite being built in similar numbers (400+... I’ve seen varying figures). Why this happens, I do not know, but it has certainly helped to keep Italias affordable!

Just how unknown are Intermeccanica Italias?
    Living in the birthplace of muscle cars (southeast Michigan) means I don’t even get asked if it is a Ferrari (which it most closely resembles) – I usually get asked if it’s a Corvette (with one exception when a teenage bag-boy pushing carts outside a grocery store ‘knocked me over’ by asking if it was an Italia). I don’t expect the locals to recognize it, but I got a taste of how really unknown Italias are when my wife and I flew out to the 2005 Concorso Italiano. As it was ending, we happened to be comparing notes with a group of Italian car enthusiasts about all the beautiful cars we’d seen that day. One of them asked me what I had, and I said an ‘Intermeccanica Italia’. Heads nodded in approval, and no one asked what it was, so I assumed they all knew. My wife then pulled out some pictures of her car and showed them around to squeals of “My god that’s beautiful – What is it?!!!”

Although it’s always nice when we find a note on the windshield or get a wave from a fellow driver with an appreciative eye, we don’t own it for their pleasure; we own it for the pleasure it gives my wife and I. As long as we get to look at it and drive it, who cares whether or not anyone else knows what it is?

Writing is a different story – if the reader isn’t getting pleasure, then there’s no point in doing it, so thanks again for the compliments.

GUESS THE PICTURES:

Some of these pictures are of an Italian, handformed-steel-over-a-wooden-buck, open-topped supercar, with a hand-stitched interior, from the mid-1960's, with drop-dead gorgeous styling from the pen of master stylist and aerodynamicist Franco Scaglione.

The other photos are of a similar vintage Ferrari 275 GTB NART Spyder, one of which recently sold for US$ 3.9 million.

Can you tell which is which?
    That should be easy enough, but the real question is: Is the difference worth US$ 3.8 million?

A friend once said "It's mere money" compared with a rare & beautiful sportscar, (he had it to spend). I assert that Intermeccanica Italias are well under-valued for what they offer because they are merely "under"-known. Thank goodness for that or else I would not have been able to afford one.
    Last edited by Motorace; 02-12-2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: grammatical improvements, adding photos
    Honi soit qui mal y pense

Earlier Pictures Labeled Here

Now that I am no longer having difficulties uploading pictures to my posts, I went back to add six pictures to an earlier post... but when I attempted to add the picture descriptions, I exceeded the word limit for that posting, so I'll describe them here:

Picture #1 = The Apollo Chassis w/ Buick components, designed by Milt Brown and built by Intermeccanica
    Picture #2 = Apollo Convertibles designed by Franco Scaglione at the 2006 Concorso Italiano Apollo Reunion
    Picture #3 = The wooden body buck over which Italian craftsmen hammered the Griffith 600/Italia coupe bodies
    Picture #4 = Recent photo of Jack Griffith, whose Griffith 600 vision led to the Intermeccanica Italia
    Picture #5 = An original Plymouth-powered Griffith 600 at the Ameilia Island Concours, of which Jack Griffith is a founder.
    Picture #6 = Early Italia Brochure showing an initial attempt to call it the Italia "GFX".
    Last edited by Motorace; 02-11-2007 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Clarification of details

Intermeccanica Italia

I just wanted to post a follow up to this discussion. I first saw the Italia in a Sports Car Graphic Magazine article in the 70's always remebered it. Two years ago I had an opportunity to acquire one of the 56 coupes made and my wife and I love it.

I would like to here from onther Italia owners as I am trying to resurrect a registry to determine what cars are still out there. I know two other local owners who have three cars between them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by alsantoro View Post
    I first saw the Italia in a Sports Car Graphic Magazine article in the 70's always remembered it. Two years ago I had an opportunity to acquire one of the 56 coupes made and my wife and I love it.

I would like to hear from other Italia owners as I am trying to resurrect a registry to determine what cars are still out there. I know two other local owners who have three cars between them.
    The 1971 article in Automobile Quarterly (Vol 9-3) had that effect on me. Our library had a subscription to AQ (if you can believe that - it was fate!), and when I read that article, my world changed. I didn't acquire my Italia until 31 years later, but I'd never forgotten the AQ article. Every other sports car I bought in the meantime was merely a "placeholder" until I finally found my Italia.

In theory, there is a registry already, but it needs resurrection - the holder of it won't release any information about it other than to say there are maybe 25 cars registered, but he won't allow us to find out if there are other owners in our area - so what good is it doing? He says he'll get around to publishing it to those registered someday, but that was several years ago and I wonder why those of us who have registered cannot access it now. Since registering several years ago, I've received no communication from him so I think he is not serious about maintaining a registry.

I know it takes work to set something up, so I cannot complain if I'm not willing to do the work. It's more of a case of I do not have the skillset to set up a website, so instead, I've been posting articles about Intermeccanica in general (not just Italias) on various websites to build awareness and hopefully hear from other owners.

I've found 2 other Italia owners in my area - mostly by accident. Once my car was on the road and being seen again (after 22 years in storage) then occasionally someone would say 'I think I've seen a car like that when I was over at somebody's place... and eventually we found each other.

We have 6 Italias between us in this area. I have my one on the road and another stripped & rusty 'shell' that I bought on eBay. It will never be restored, but it is my insurance policy to have the correct body restoration dimensions should mine ever be in an accident. Another owner is actively restoring one and will probably have it on the road this summer, and a third owner has three 'accident victims' that he might be able to combine to make one good car someday/oneday.

You did not say how to get in touch with you, but if you have any computer skills to start a website or a Yahoo discussion group, that might be a good way to start up an online registry. I hope you do because my computer skills aren't up to it...

Many owners of expensive cars prefer to not go posting their posessions in public forums for fear of becoming targets - so you may have to establish some credibility first by creating a website or active discussion group. I've made other Italia-owner contacts and I will be happy to let them know how to contact you if they should choose to, but I should give them the choice. The fact that you are an owner yourself goes a long way to establishing credibility, and if you'll private mail me, I'll give you my contact info.

Do you have any closeup photos of the headlight covers on your car? They look great - but the photo is too small to appreciate them fully! Who made them?

I keep an album of photos of my car available on PicasaWeb here:
    Picasa Web Albums - Dan - '69 Intermecc...

Italia Registry ?

I first saw the Italia in a Sports Car Graphic Magazine article in the 70's always remembered it. Two years ago I had an opportunity to acquire one of the 56 coupes made and my wife and I love it.

I would like to hear from other Italia owners as I am trying to resurrect a registry to determine what cars are still out there. I know two other local owners who have three cars between them.
    The 1971 article in Automobile Quarterly (Vol 9-3) had that effect on me. Our library had a subscription to AQ (if you can believe that - it was fate!), and when I read that article, my world changed. I didn't acquire my Italia until 31 years later, but I'd never forgotten the AQ article. Every other sports car I bought in the meantime was merely a "placeholder" until I finally found my Italia.

In theory, there is a registry already, but it needs resurrection - the holder of it won't release any information about it other than to say there are maybe 25 cars registered, but he won't allow us to find out if there are other owners in our area - so what good is it doing? He says he'll get around to publishing it to those registered someday, but that was several years ago and I wonder why those of us who have registered cannot access it now. Since registering several years ago, I've received no communication from him so I think he is not serious about maintaining a registry.

I know it takes work to set something up, so I cannot complain if I'm not willing to do the work. It's more of a case of I do not have the skillset to set up a website, so instead, I've been posting articles about Intermeccanica in general (not just Italias) on various websites to build awareness and hopefully hear from other owners.

I've found 2 other Italia owners in my area - mostly by accident. Once my car was on the road and being seen again (after 22 years in storage) then occasionally someone would say 'I think I've seen a car like that when I was over at somebody's place... and eventually we found each other.

We have 6 Italias between us in this area. I have my one on the road and another stripped & rusty 'shell' that I bought on eBay. It will never be restored, but it is my insurance policy to have the correct body restoration dimensions should mine ever be in an accident. Another owner is actively restoring one and will probably have it on the road this summer, and a third owner has three 'accident victims' that he might be able to combine to make one good car someday/oneday.

You did not say how to get in touch with you, but if you have any computer skills to start a website or a Yahoo discussion group, that might be a good way to start up an online registry. I hope you do because my computer skills aren't up to it... The (Intermeccanica) Apollo owners group (with many fewer cars having been built) have an active registry / newsletter because someone is willing to put in the time (and has the skills) to publish it on the web.

Many owners of expensive cars prefer to not go posting their posessions in public forums for fear of becoming targets - so you may have to establish some credibility first by creating a website or active discussion group. I've made other Italia-owner contacts outside my local area, and I will be happy to let them know how to contact you, but I have to give them the choice. The fact that you are an owner yourself goes a long way to establishing credibility, and if you'll private mail me, I'll exchange my contact info with you.

Do you have any closeup photos of the headlight covers on your car? They look great - but the thumbnail photo is too small to appreciate them fully! Who made them?

I keep an album of photos of my car available on PicasaWeb here:
    Picasa Web Albums - Dan - '69 Intermecc...

I just wanted to post a follow up to this discussion. I first saw the Italia in a Sports Car Graphic Magazine article in the 70's always remebered it. Two years ago I had an opportunity to acquire one of the 56 coupes made and my wife and I love it.

I would like to here from onther Italia owners as I am trying to resurrect a registry to determine what cars are still out there. I know two other local owners who have three cars between them.
    Don't know if there's still any interest - my husband has a 1969 Omega, white; original condition (excellent) and just purchased a new starter (car has been sitting up for a couple of years not driven). I know very little about it except what files he has (original magazine coverage and some photos). If there's any interest, let me know.

Motorace, It's nice to read the work of someone that owns and knows these cars well.
    I've been working on an Italia article for some time. If you could review it and tell me your thoughts it would be most appreciated:

Intermeccanica Italia Spyder - Supercars.net

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    i'd say that would be one of the most beautiful Italia cars ever made. im in love with your car Motorace!!!! i want one now!
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

I owned one (Torino 67 rebirthed to a 68 more to come

50018 Torino-Italia 67 retitled to 68, yellow convertable. That was mine. I am not a collector I am a consumer. It was a daily driver my 5 years with it, minus 2 winters north then it was stored. I bought it new in the spring of 68. Due to the changes in the emisions laws the 289 high preformance engine was replaced with a 302C. I autocrossed so I made some with great results. The suspention in the front needed little help it was well sprung and the oversized sway bar all I added was koni shocks. The rear was way to soft so agin konis and a major coil spring change. A buick spring cut down till the car was level did the trick. I hate a car that pushes so I set it up a little on the loose side. It makes driving a turn with the throtle stable. The shifter was to far left and back and it was soft(like stiring a buket of stew). After taking some measurements, I took it out and bent it to the desired shift location. It was then fitted leaving the rubber isolation bussings out. What a differance, it was easy to preload and speed shift. The top load tranny was great it never boaked. The engine, plenty for that car, but not for what I wanted. First emissions removed. I replaced the carb with a holly 660 compatition carb. It has the large acceleration pump. the linkage was set up to operate all 4 barrels together all the time and a 4 way center squirters. Smooth and acurate throttle control, great when drifting a corner. Just set it up and drive it with the gas peddle. The other engine Mod was the malory ignition system. Tires- for autocross I used factory dimention rims with smaller diamiter goodyear blue streaks. That lowered my center of gravity and lowered my gear,better for short track autocross racing.
    I competed in A modified aginst all and won more than my share. Including lotus, vet and 1 can am prepared vet.That was in the north. In Florida I one year in a best 5 of 7 serries I took 25 of posible 25 points as well as the best time of the serries trophy. lots of fun. I also drove hard on the road. One time Cleavland to Tuscalosa Ala., Something over 800 miles in less than 11 hours,Average 72ish. It rained start to finish and stormed in Tuscalosa. I wish I had RainX then, with the windshield rake and the wipers being useless at high speeds. I loved that car and always enjoyed turning the key

Quote Originally Posted by James horner View Post
    50018 Torino-Italia 67 retitled to 68, yellow convertable. That was mine. I am not a collector I am a consumer. It was a daily driver my 5 years with it, minus 2 winters north then it was stored. I bought it new in the spring of 68. Due to the changes in the emisions laws the 289 high preformance engine was replaced with a 302C. I autocrossed so I made some with great results. The suspention in the front needed little help it was well sprung and the oversized sway bar all I added was koni shocks. The rear was way to soft so agin konis and a major coil spring change. A buick spring cut down till the car was level did the trick. I hate a car that pushes so I set it up a little on the loose side. It makes driving a turn with the throtle stable. The shifter was to far left and back and it was soft(like stiring a buket of stew). After taking some measurements, I took it out and bent it to the desired shift location. It was then fitted leaving the rubber isolation bussings out. What a differance, it was easy to preload and speed shift. The top load tranny was great it never boaked. The engine, plenty for that car, but not for what I wanted. First emissions removed. I replaced the carb with a holly 660 compatition carb. It has the large acceleration pump. the linkage was set up to operate all 4 barrels together all the time and a 4 way center squirters. Smooth and acurate throttle control, great when drifting a corner. Just set it up and drive it with the gas peddle. The other engine Mod was the malory ignition system. Tires- for autocross I used factory dimention rims with smaller diamiter goodyear blue streaks. That lowered my center of gravity and lowered my gear,better for short track autocross racing.
    I competed in A modified aginst all and won more than my share. Including lotus, vet and 1 can am prepared vet.That was in the north. In Florida I one year in a best 5 of 7 serries I took 25 of posible 25 points as well as the best time of the serries trophy. lots of fun. I also drove hard on the road. One time Cleavland to Tuscalosa Ala., Something over 800 miles in less than 11 hours,Average 72ish. It rained start to finish and stormed in Tuscalosa. I wish I had RainX then, with the windshield rake and the wipers being useless at high speeds. I loved that car and always enjoyed turning the key
    Welcome James, such an interesting story begs the question: What happened next, is the car still around somewhere?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by James horner View Post
    I bought it new in the spring of 68. Due to the changes in the emisions laws the 289 high preformance engine was replaced with a 302C.

The engine, plenty for that car, but not for what I wanted. First emissions removed. I replaced the carb with a holly 660 compatition carb.
    Hi James

Just to insert a passing mention, a lot of 302C owners (self included) swapped those 302C crank & rods with 351C items, which gives a major power boost and is an undetectable mod by external inspection.

re: "I autocrossed with great results"

It's great to hear first-hand from someone who drove an Italia in competition. I've always suspected that it could do well - with it's solid body-welded-to-the-chassis. The things you did that yielded the greatest improvements fit what I suspected would help the most.

I let my stock '69 Italia be driven by a man who is a factory-racing test driver for a European manufacturer and he was very impressed by how solid the car is and how well it was balanced. He especially commented on how well the bump-steer had been designed out of it. My 1969 is fairly stock except that I added coil-over shocks on the front to be able to raise the ride height after the original front springs had sagged with age. I need to do the same for the rear too. Replacing the original rear suspension bushings helped a lot too (same as Alfa 2600 rear bushings)

If only one had been raced in a major event back in it's day! I've heard rumors of one having been raced in Southern California, but I've found no evidence in the form of magazine articles or race programs, etc. Does anyone know of any Italias participating in any wheel-to-wheel races in the late 1960's or the early 1970's?

I had heard about the crank kit trick after I sold it. I'm not sure I would have done it the car was bulletproof as it was. 2450# at 50/50 distrabution 0-60 not as stated 6"closer to 4.5-5. All I needed for a daily driver. I drove it hard all the time, But never got a ticket in that car
    I don't know where the car is now I sold it in Fl. The young man took it to Kentucyish.I did hear about 12 years ago it was in a barn. I'll check to see if any of his friends have heard from him next time i'm in FL(January)

Thread Information