Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ray Gun

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    A journalist tried it from a 500m range, and he said it was just like opening a hot oven in front of him.
    I've heard accounts that claim it's excrutiatingly painful and makes you want to kill yourself instead of endure more of it.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    I've heard accounts that claim it's excrutiatingly painful and makes you want to kill yourself instead of endure more of it.
    americans dont need a raygun for that...
    autozine.org

They are working on a cold version of it, in order to capture people. The rationale works like this: The beam freezes the ground below the protester's feet and they start sliding unable to escape.
    And what happens if the protester just happens to be standing on something that isn't a puddle?

But more importantly, how quickly can these things make baked potatoes?

Also; will the protesters have to be left for 60 seconds to finish cooking afterwards?

The rationale works like this: The beam freezes the ground below the protester's feet and they start sliding unable to escape.
    You normally only tend to slide if you are standing on ice; frozen water.

Frozen ground on it's own isn't very slippery, in fact it will offer better grip than a normal loose, dusty surface, or a slightly muddy one.

Straight from the files of "you didn't quite think this one through".

The heat ray is supposed to be for disbursing crowds, but if it causes a panic of people who think they are about to catch fire, there is lots of potential for people being over exposed, crushed, etc.

There are already many "non-lethal" alternatives in place which offer that kind of mayhem as a by product, what is the point of this, no doubt expensive, addition to that arsenal?

Also if someone happens to get in the way of the beam at close range for some reason, they will cook.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    americans dont need a raygun for that...
    Enlighten us to exactly what they do need then, why don't you?
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin
    Enlighten us to exactly what they do need then, why don't you?
    Reality Television?

what next

y do u complian bout a little heat when u could be having lazer-gided bombs falling on u

then u'd know how the Eagle really screams!

Oh, lord. If only we could have more than one account. I'd be happier than a 'possum in a pear tree.
    I'm erudite ;-)

you know, that is a valid point. if were were an even more hostile nation, we could just shoot anybody we were suspicious of. in fact, i think that would be more effective. wouldn't have to worry about them coming back and trying to blow us up again.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

or if "you" shot everyone suspicious ,rightly or not, you could end up facing everyone in the world and then "you" would probably really blow up!!!
    violence generates more violence, the complicated bit is stopping the cycle!!
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by electrao
    or if "you" shot everyone suspicious ,rightly or not, you could end up facing everyone in the world and then "you" would probably really blow up!!!
    violence generates more violence, the complicated bit is stopping the cycle!!
    agreed.

and that is why we come up with non-lethal deterrants instead of killing them outright.

so basically, what i'm saying is that you may be unhappy with the US, but we do try and be a bit kinder than the average invading country.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    and that is why we come up with non-lethal deterrants instead of killing them outright.
    I can't see too many people being happy to be made to feel like they are on fire, they're still going to be angry at Americans...

Maybe shooting them is the best option after all; If I've learned anything from Hollywood films it is that shooting solves any/all of the world's problems!

That's probably why the British government is in such disarray: not enough shooting.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I can't see too many people being happy to be made to feel like they are on fire, they're still going to be angry at Americans...
    well, yeah, but you gotta think. we re looking to protect ourselves, while trying to still improve our stature in the country. this may be a little more traumatic than sitting there looking at them, but it is necessary to disperse riots, and other groups that could be hazardous to soldiers. and it is more effective at maintaining public appearance than shooting them. i think the article originally posted points to that perfectly.

Whats wrong with the good ole water cannon?
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Whats wrong with the good ole water cannon?
    You need water.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information