Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54

Thread: Setting a bad example - Humvee driving in Baghdad

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,777
    Clearly they were on a pizza run for a general and there was a risk of them failing to get it back in 20 minutes and not getting paid
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,864
    Yeah, TVR has a good point there. Better keep moving, just in case.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Northampton, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,989
    Eh, I drive like that anyway. I have more liberal use of "the finger" though.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

    The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

    Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    95616
    Posts
    5,356
    jeez... pretty brutal to get rammed by a Humvee... At least they slowed down a bit. Anyway, I heard that they always get the right-of-way, and if you don't let them go first, you may get shot to death.

    Don't blame us. Blame the insurgents who kick below the belt.

    Oh well, it's like what Mel Brooks said,"it's good to be king."
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Goshen, IN
    Posts
    3,377
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    the complaint at the end about the guy who walks on the roundabout: "Picking his nose like he has got all the time in the world" really says it all...
    Yeah because I am sure you have never been frustrated with a pedestrian or another driver in your life and you haven't had the stress of worrying about getting blown to pieces in the next twenty seconds as well.

    It didn't look like they hit the other cars very hard anyway, they probably have to assume that a car in front of them like that could be part of a set up anyway.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg, Holland
    Posts
    27,315
    Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    Yeah because I am sure you have never been frustrated with a pedestrian or another driver in your life and you haven't had the stress of worrying about getting blown to pieces in the next twenty seconds as well.
    Maybe I never got frustrated with pedestrians because I have only taken roundabouts clockwise when I was driving in RHD countries like the UK

    And if there worry is that they get blown to pieces, they better stay in, this video showed a lot of potential "collateral damage" which can easily be prevented
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    This is one of your most idiotic comments, ever.
    I'd love to see you explain that,because i fail to see your point there.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    Don't blame us. Blame the insurgents who kick below the belt.
    Offcourse they shold be taken caution of, BUT the US should think about creating goodwill amongst the population. This clearly is not a ver effective method.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    2,038
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    I'd love to see you explain that,because i fail to see your point there.



    Offcourse they shold be taken caution of, BUT the US should think about creating goodwill amongst the population. This clearly is not a ver effective method.
    So you are suggesting they slow down, become an easier target, and increase the risk that they(and a good number of the people around them) are fired upon with a RPG? Or, in other words, you're saying that their lives are worth less than an Iraqi's bumper?

    I'm not saying that creating good will is a bad thing, it need to be done and it's very important in our getting out of this idotic war. I just want you to realise the risk that those men and women are facing.

    EDIT: I love Wouter's posts. Genious. [see below]
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 01-26-2007 at 02:29 PM.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

    When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg
    Posts
    9,656
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    I'd love to see you explain that,because i fail to see your point there.
    You have made many idiotic comments, this one was one of the most idiotic. Is that enough of an explanation?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

    (Ted Joans)

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,057
    if i had a humvee that wasn't mine, i'd do the same!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

    Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,031
    Venturing out & about from the ludicrously named Camp Victory bunker, on a mission of hearts 'n minds for Old Glory. No doubt the average Bahgdadi motorist is thrilled to bits (sometimes literally to bits) by these soft caresses from their benevolent liberators

    [/sarcasm]

    Its impossible to ignore the social dynamic depicted by this video

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    They shouldn't have made themselves targets in the first place Don't they drive around in convoys there ?
    To elaborate even further why the comment is stupid, it's not like they purposely went out of their way to become targets for fun.

    Also, I doubt it would take much provocation to become a target when, y'know, they're at war with the country they're in.
    Last edited by zeppelin; 01-26-2007 at 03:15 PM.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Porto - Portugal
    Posts
    2,755
    I was going to post something but... i deleted it, i just don't care.
    How can some ppl just be so blind, worst, braindead.
    Last edited by ruim20; 01-26-2007 at 03:28 PM.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Coldenflat
    Posts
    4,557
    Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Venturing out & about from the ludicrously named Camp Victory bunker, on a mission of hearts 'n minds for Old Glory. No doubt the average Bahgdadi motorist is thrilled to bits (sometimes literally to bits) by these soft caresses from their benevolent liberators

    [/sarcasm]

    Its impossible to ignore the social dynamic depicted by this video
    You say this like the soldiers drive the Humvees around Baghdad for fun.....Alot of the times they go out, is to patrol the area, and be out already if a fast response is needed in the city.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
    Posts
    16,252
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Offcourse they shold be taken caution of, BUT the US should think about creating goodwill amongst the population. This clearly is not a ver effective method.
    when some of the population has RPG's that tends to be a bit difficult.
    perhaps you should go there and show them how it's done? With your expertise with them i'm sure the Americans could stop the violence in Iraq in a matter of weeks.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I'm a BAD AMERICAN!
    By werty in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 341
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM
  2. Highway proposal: Fine bad drivers
    By Distress in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 02:38 PM
  3. When is it a bad idea to ...
    By KnifeEdge_2K1 in forum Trivia and quizzes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •