Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1992 3000GT VR4 VS. 2007 Mustang GT

it helps to pay attention
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Yep, its a bad habit i've yet to break. But why pics of the clutch? and what about another friends Lexus IS 350? I dont expect to win against it, its pretty mean

Because you're going to destroy it trying to launch it on a drag strip and I like carnage.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

remember... every clutch can smoke for a few seconds before it implodes
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Because you're going to destroy it trying to launch it on a drag strip and I like carnage.
    what makes you think its gonna be destroyed? whats the difference between it and other clutches? isnt it a proformance clutch made to handle that kinda stuff? Remember i am new to cars and this forum so you gotta explain to me whats gonna happen

High rpm launch = fried clutch
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

ok what about middle or low rpm? he'll be doing the same thing wont he? unless he's willing to fry his

If I were a betting man.... but I'm not; I would put money on the mustang for two reasons:

1) driver experience. He is " a good driver," and you are "new to cars."

2) Vehicle age. I wouldn't expect the VR4 to perform as it did in 1992 because engines loose compresion, turbos loose boost, tranie parts wear out , etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens
    If I were a betting man.... but I'm not; I would put money on the mustang for two reasons:

1) driver experience. He is " a good driver," and you are "new to cars."

2) Vehicle age. I wouldn't expect the VR4 to perform as it did in 1992 because engines loose compresion, turbos loose boost, tranie parts wear out , etc....
    He is a good driver, but ive been driving for longer i should have said that he has more experience with manual transmissions...and as ive said i will have practice before i ever race anyone. Im not just gonna go out and kill myself the first time.

And my car will be running fine, the mechanic thats working on it will make sure of that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing
    ok what about middle or low rpm? he'll be doing the same thing wont he? unless he's willing to fry his
    There saying that since you have AWD, your tires will grab, causing the clutch to slip. The Mustang on the other hand will spin the tires at a high RPM clutch dump.
    Back to topic, I vote it to be a drivers race. Like already mentioned it depends on what condition the 3000GT is.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    There saying that since you have AWD, your tires will grab, causing the clutch to slip. The Mustang on the other hand will spin the tires at a high RPM clutch dump.
    Back to topic, I vote it to be a drivers race. Like already mentioned it depends on what condition the 3000GT is.
    what would be a good way to keep it from slipping? do i gotta just take off slower or would buying a new clutch be the key?

AWD is much harder in the clutch than rear wheel.

i remember hearing a bit about that in a top gear episode. murcielago vs zonda i believe. i love that show.
    just waiting for my right-hand drive BMW M3 GTR. yes in the states.

AWD cars aren't made for drag racing. You'll do one of two things- overrev it and burn some clutch material, or underrev it and bog it down, in which case the race will be over.

And where are you going to be practicing these launches? Launching on the street is completely different from the track. Tracks have so much rubber built up on them it's ridiculous.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

the thing is, AWD was introduced in the audi quattro not because of its ability to launch quicker than other cars, but because it allowed faster cornering, better acceleration out of corners and was generally a better idea than rear or front wheel drive when driving in mud, gravel, ice, grass or whatever. then along came LSD's and AYC and OMG and ROFL and so on, basically evolving the AWD system, and then mitsubishi put their VR4 drivetrain (also seen in the lancer evo street and rally cars, and the galant VR4 (surprisingly)) in their supercar, the GTO/3000GT, and that was the end of that.

my point is AWD is designed for anything other than drag racing, theoretically it would be better than RWD if the clutch could never ever slip, but it does and AWD makes it do so. you could, if you just wanted to beat your friend, get a VCD controller and set a very heavily rearward biased torque split, like 95% rear 5% front, but i've heard those are very expensive.
    owner of the most unique corsa in hemel hempstead - its completely mod-free

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing
    what would be a good way to keep it from slipping? do i gotta just take off slower or would buying a new clutch be the key?
    I would suggest joining a 3000GT specific forum, and asking owners there the best way to launch the car.

Thread Information