Thread: My AU doesnt wanna go no more... helppppp

My AU doesnt wanna go no more... helppppp

I have an AU Falcon, its a 98 series one 6 cyl. Just over the last few weeks it developed a miss, which has gradually gotten worse and worse to the point that, when you give it more than 1/3rd throttle under load, ie driving, it drops cylinders totally and emits black smoke (unburnt fuel). Since then I have fitted a new fuel pump, a new fuel rail, another set of injectors, a new set of plug leads and new plugs.
    The other day I noticed that it is much worse with the aircon on and with my big doof-doof stereo turned up. This got me thinking about the battery, so, I chucked the multi metre on the batt and found it had 12 volts with the engine off, and 12.5ish with it running, and all ancilaries running too (stereo etc) I then checked the alternator, its putting out 14.4 volts as it should, but at the battery end of the cable its still 12.5v. I then decided to put another earth lead on from the batt to the motor. That helped, but its still missing bad under load. Ive racked my (admittedly small) brains and have come up with either a faulty battery, a positive battery cable that has developed excessive resistance, a faulty sensor, ie TPS or crank angle sensor. Or possibly a faulty HAL sensor or rooted coil pack. Other than that, I have no idea. Any help would be massive, cheers guys.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Check the coils. IIRC, the AU's have triple coils. My dads AU ute blew a coil once, and apparently it didnt want to go too happily. The mechanics tried to convince him it was the muffler however.
    I am the Stig

Also try and get it diagnosed it's amazing how a little pc can pick problems so easy and fast.

booked in at Ford on Wednesday, 99 bux an hour... Claiming it under my insurance because as far as I'm concerned its accident damage when I flattened an already dead roo on the way up here. Dont ask....
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

A mate of mine had a VR berlina and it one day had this bad miss, It just wouldn't run right and made a shit sound, And at times wouldn't start, It was a $250 switch of some type that the Computer diagnosis found. There very handy i'm too shit scared too see one.

All better now, didnt take it to Ford, I got the shits and went and bought a coil pack. Its beautiful again. So nice having all the horses running in the same direction again.
    Im goin to have to go see the dickhead bosch dealer here and tell him he's a ****wit, he told me right at the start that no, its definately not the coil, it has to be the efi. So after spending $500 getting new fuel rails and injectors and shit I discover I was right all along... Big tip, never second guess a gut feeling. Always research the problem as much as you can, because 9/10 your going to be correct. Anyone wanna buy a transmission from a VS? $250 ono.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Anyone who works in a parts store is a failed mechanic/engineer. Do not trust their opinion. One time (well, several) I took an old part in because they just wouldn't send the right one and they told me it was the wrong one, despite it having been attached to the car since it left the factory.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Amen to that, theyre not worth a knob of goat poo.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    All better now, didnt take it to Ford, I got the shits and went and bought a coil pack. Its beautiful again. So nice having all the horses running in the same direction again.
    Im goin to have to go see the dickhead bosch dealer here and tell him he's a ****wit, he told me right at the start that no, its definately not the coil, it has to be the efi. So after spending $500 getting new fuel rails and injectors and shit I discover I was right all along... Big tip, never second guess a gut feeling. Always research the problem as much as you can, because 9/10 your going to be correct. Anyone wanna buy a transmission from a VS? $250 ono.
    A diagnostics check would have been much cheaper.. But good that it's running fine now, Them coil packs are not cheap new

No don't like them 4L60E they are too negative on the Engines.

Thread Information