Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1998 Ford Explorers door

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    They are going downhill because the SUV market has gone down.
    I know several people that use muscle cars as daily drivers, would that change your opinion of the car if you had to use it as a daily driver? How do you know they are a "gem" to own, have you had any?
    No I haven't had a musclecar, regrettably. I'd hate to have it as a daily driver though. Its a fun car, not a car to go to work in. Its bad on gas, and if its actually from the musclecar era, and not the 2005 mustang, then its likely to break a lot. Yes it would change my opinion if I had to use it as a daily driver, because I wont be impressed with the gas mileage, and I most definitely wouldn't be impressed with the amount of times it would have to be in the shop. Everybody that's owned these things say they're the greatest looking, funnest to drive, pieces of shit they've ever owned. How can that many people be wrong?

off to work.

Since you haven't owned one, wait to make your comments about them till you do.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

my cars never had that, I drive a 93 taurus and there's nothing wrong with it's locking or door mechaisms

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001
    my cars never had that, I drive a 93 taurus and there's nothing wrong with it's locking or door mechaisms
    My dad's 95 taurus has had door problems. He went to pull the handle up on the outside to open the door and all it did was break. We ended up having to buy a whole new door to put on.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    Since you haven't owned one, wait to make your comments about them till you do.
    I totally get where you're coming from, but my comment is just an opinion that was generated from things that I've heard from other people. Its a common way that most other people create their opinions too. Unfortunately, none of the people I've talked to regarding muscle cars have had anything positive to say as far as reliability is concerned. I base my opinions on what the majority say because I consider it slightly stupid to "try it myself" just because there might be that possibility that they could all be wrong.

Ironically enough, my dream cars are the E body Challenger and 'Cuda. Restoring either one of those is on the top of my list of things to do before I die. I'll be happy regardless of whether or not they'll let me down. It doesn't matter because the car will be driven so rarely. Daily drivers are the ones that are supposed to be reliable, and although everyone has a different picture in their heads of what a daily driver is, mine is inexpensive to maintain, has good fuel economy, and won't let me down (electronically or mechanically).

My sincere apologies if you took any offense to any comments I've made earlier, but I hope I've explained myself well enough. If you want to discuss it further, its [email protected]. I'm always up for car discussions.

Being unreliable isn't just limited to old American cars, all old cars are unreliable by modern standards. Muscle cars were producing what, at the time, was mind warping power from crude materials (or cutting edge at the time). Powerful cars are rarely reliable.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Talk to someone who has owned one

The 1965 Buick Riviera GS which I bought in '86 was American (obviously) and old (21 y/o at purchase) and powerful (7 litre engine) yet during 9 years/90,000 miles it proved to be one of the most absolutely reliable, low maintainance and fuss-free cars I have ever owned

In all that time it broke down on me precisely once; the starter motor konked out in 1991 which meant that component had lasted untouched for 26 years. Btw it generously chose to break down right outside an auto electricians - I was able to literally roll into the workshop and within 2 hours he'd fixed it on the spot!

(see my post if interested)
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ick#post618569

I've owned a string of old cars. In absolute terms my most reliable long-termer was a '78 Holden Kingswood V8, bought when 20 y/o and around 340,000 kms with its original never-repaired motor. And it was still going acceptably well at 500,000+ kms when written off. The one single drama in all that distance travelled was a split heater core - which I managed to bypass while on the roadside with no tools whatsoever, except for a 10 cent coin! Try doing that in a modern car

I got my current car two years ago, a 23 y/o Mercedes which now has 435,000 kms (original rings/bearings) on it but has yet to break down
    Last edited by nota; 01-31-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Thread Information