Thread: Coin i found...Rare?

Coin i found...Rare?

i found this coin the other day, and was suprised that it was in great shape seeings it is pretty old!

anyone know if it would be worth anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Troy:

Probably the face value of the coin.

One of my mates collects coins. I once asked about the same. Unless the coin is of silver or similar, it is worth close to nothing.

its not worth much. its called a morgan dollar. i have a mess of these, unless its in pretty decent shape or is a sealed proof they arent worth a ton. there are a few dates and mints that were valuable. i cant find me price book right now i can double check later but i dont think this was one of them.

can u confirm for me that there is no letter underneath the wreath, above the D in Dollar. this is where the mint marker is. some are more valuable depending on the mint. most of the ones from the Carson City mint, marked CC, are fairly valuable, 75-150 dollars.

also hard to tell from the pic, but it doent look like its in too great condition. its probably worth 10-15 dollars.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari
    its not worth much. its called a morgan dollar. i have a mess of these, unless its in pretty decent shape or is a sealed proof they arent worth a ton. there are a few dates and mints that were valuable. i cant find me price book right now i can double check later but i dont think this was one of them.

can u confirm for me that there is no letter underneath the wreath, above the D in Dollar. this is where the mint marker is. some are more valuable depending on the mint. most of the ones from the Carson City mint, marked CC, are fairly valuable, 75-150 dollars.

also hard to tell from the pic, but it doent look like its in too great condition. its probably worth 10-15 dollars.
    ya there is no letter under the wreath...thanks for the input!
    Troy:

Dude, I have that same coin, I got it from Chuck-E-Cheese's to play the arcades
    Reutlingen/ San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari

How much is a bag full of $100(face value) wheat pennies worth if it was never opened by the bank, or anyone else for that matter? I happen to have such a bag in a closet somewhere around here, and I don't Know where it cam from. Thanks if you can help, or if you can't that's cool too.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    How much is a bag full of $100(face value) wheat pennies worth if it was never opened by the bank, or anyone else for that matter? I happen to have such a bag in a closet somewhere around here, and I don't Know where it cam from. Thanks if you can help, or if you can't that's cool too.
    Looks like a lot.

http://sammler.com/coins/wheat_pennies.htm
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Damn. Maybe I should put that in the safe...
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by TVRs4eva
    Dude, I have that same coin, I got it from Chuck-E-Cheese's to play the arcades
    and you are how old?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    We had a pair of these bags back in my numismatist (coin collector) days. If you have LOTS of time to dedicate to it, you could go through the back with a Red Bood (basically, the hobby/industry standard valuation book) and pick out the more valuable ones. However, the vast, vast majority of the coins are in relatively poor condition, and even most of the ones that aren't are still worth maybe 50 cents at the very, very most. In your case, I'm not sure if that means they're all uncirculated, as it's posssible circulated coins were sealed in a bag and it was just never re-opened (like we had), or if indeed it's a bag straight from the US mint that was never opened. In our case, we found a few that were worth about $10-30 and mostly used these to trade at coin shows.

As to the Morgan dollar, I haven't done anything with coins in a while and the newest Red Book I have is from '99, but I can dig that up and get back to you on the value. It's probably just worth the ounce of silver it's minted on, though.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information