Thread: Lancia Concept Beta

Lancia Concept Beta

(Beta is a model name, not version )
    Everything is skratch made, except wheels (as usual)
    One of my best projects, I think. Enjoy)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Former rt13.
    To see more, visit [url]http://ps-garage.com/gallery/rt13[/url]
    Thank you.

It's good, but it doesn't look like a Beta to me.

It's more in the style of the 037 Stradale.

Nice though.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    It's good, but it doesn't look like a Beta to me.

It's more in the style of the 037 Stradale.

Nice though.
    The front view remembers a bit of the Grp.5 Beta Montecarlo Turbo.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I see a slight resemblence. Mainly, it's just the vents/intakes. When I look at the over all picture I see 037esque styling, matbe it's just me.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Beta Coupe, when he said Beta. It's the first thing that comes to mind because my father had one.

My dad's was looked like this, except with brown paint, and it had webbers.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Bravo! & a few suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by RT15
    (Beta is a model name, not version )
    Everything is skratch made, except wheels (as usual)
    One of my best projects, I think. Enjoy)
    I love it as a concept and I'm assuming you're posting it because you're looking for feedback...

The curved character line in the tops of the rear fenders is elegant and beautiful - kind of reminds me of how an insect lifts it's wing covers to take flight - implying that this car is about to take off!

I especially love the shape of the side glass on the red car, and how it mimics the curves along the tops of the fenders. Those are beautifully aggressive lines! (The yellow image has a different line along the bottom edge of the side glass - it's more elegant, but less aggressive). Where the side glass on the red car emphasizes the top of the rear fender, the side glass on the yellow car emphasizes the character line in the rear fender. I like them both - it would be tough to choose which is better - they're both very well executed.

Did you intentionally leave off the side mirrors? There's probably a big blind spot in the rear 3/4 with those side window upsweeps - so side mirrors will be especially important.

In the side profile, I love too how the edges of the fender vents on either side of the door spread outward at the bottom, instead of just being vertical. That is also elegant, and the angles gives the body 'Gravitas" - meaning it looks like it is weightier at the bottom and will stick well to the road.

If you had not called it a "Lancia Beta", how would I know from looking at it that it was a Lancia?

I owned a Lancia Scorpion (US version of the European Lancia MonteCarlo), and went to see the MonteCarlo Turbos race in person, so I'm pretty familiar with their lines. The big fenders alone are not enough to say "Lancia" because there were many cars that used the wide fenders in the Group 5 "Silhouette" class of racing that allowed ultra-wide fenders as long as the side profile and wheelbase of the car remained the same. I think you could take it a little further as a "Lancia".

Are you aware that Vincenzo Lancia's family name translates into "Lance" or spear? Did you know that Lancia's corporate emblem is a Lance and Shield? Curve the two character lines in the front hood (bonnet?) and bring them together to a point near the leading edge - so that they imply the shape of the Lancia shield. That would unmistakably say "Lancia". Similarly, Lancias have long had a front grille that has the sides tilt inward at the bottom - and has a vertical bar in the center - again an acknowledgement of the "Lance & Shield" shapes... but your grille has the area between the headlights getting wider at the bottom and no vertical bar... so, you've ignored (or overlooked) this long-standing tradition in Lancia styling.

Secondly, You've done a nice job of creating a shape where all of the car's lines flow well together, with the exception of the diagonal bracing in the cooling apertures. The bracing is very interesting but distracts (interrupts the eye) from the smooth flow of the rest of the car's lines. The braces are also a little thick-walled from an engineering perspective (they do not need to be). You might consider making the braces thinner and then in-set them slightly inside the openings so they aren't flush with the outer edge of the openings. That will keep them interesting (if not more so), but would also mean darkening the diagonal braces a little so they would not be quite so distracting from the rest of the car's lines (- just my opinion on that).

Thirdly - The street version of the Lancia Montecarlo had the same sized tires front and rear, but the Lancia Beta Montecarlo Turbo race cars had a real "rake" to them - they looked like wedges (or Lances!) flying down the road! (like the Wedge-shaped thingie's that slot cars became before someone got sane and brought back scale-model-looking slot cars). The Lancia race cars' rear tires were HUGE - much bigger than the small fronts, which tipped the backs up, and allowed the nose (or hood line) to drop away from the windshield like it was almost an extension of the windshield.

The front "splitter" under the nose of the Lancia race cars visually extended the effect of looking like the tip of a flying wedge. Don't know if you'd want to incorporate a splitter on your concept... but it's a suggestion.

Most street cars have to have the same size tires front and rear so that if you have a flat tire, the spare will fit anywhere.
    If you really want to capture the Montecarlo racer 's lines, the front tires need to be smaller diameter and narrower, and the rears larger and wider (I realize that's a lot of work!). But if you were intending this to remind us of a "next generation" Lancia Montecarlo street car, then ignore that... because you've already implied larger tires at the rear by the way you've made the fender very thin over the front tires and much thicker over the rears. Also, the beautiful upsweep in your side glass implies that the rear tires are larger and that the rear is where all the power is - Nice work!

Lastly, in the yellow image, the front wheel seems off-camber - tilted outward at the top... It should either be vertical or tilted slightly inward at the top. Also in the yellow image (showing the rear of the car), I do not see any tailights...(?). I like the horizontal lines - they do remind me of the horizontal vents in the tail of my Lancia Montecarlo/Scorpion.

If you wanted feedback - that's mine. My hat's off to you for putting your work in the public - that's the best way to learn even more.

Overall, I love what you've conceived & would love to see it on the road - no matter whose brand it is... but if you're pitching it to an auto company, (i.e. Lancia), you've got to show them how it ties into their heritage.

Looking forward to seeing much more of your work!!!
    Last edited by Motorace; 01-29-2007 at 04:54 PM.
    Honi soit qui mal y pense

I cant help but think that the aerodynamics wouldnt support the performance

the wheel arches at the back look ridiculous, the rear overhang is amazingly high off the ground as well, could probably tackle a 60-70 degrees slope in reverse. A bit angular for me and the slots in the intakes mess it up.

For me it just doesn't look like a Lancia. But it's a good work, though...

Thread Information