09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Hi Supraman, perhaps you would toy the idea of swapping a 3.0 Twin Turbo Supra engine into this BMW (Many BMW owners in my country did this to prevent all the hassle, same grunt, lower taxes, better engine note. )AFTER READING THIS:

Quoted from : http://my750.com/comments.htm
    It's something like a dialogue forum, with every complain followed by someone called Axel replying them. Enjoy reading.

Quote Originally Posted by E32 Owners
    Hello, I am a BMW Service technician. I am so glad someone has started a site to speak the truth about the abomination called 750iL! 750's are about as bad for the technician as the owner. They are difficult to work on and a pain sometimes to diagnose, a car never really fit for this world. Until 1996 that is, which from then we rarely see any problems at all. Despite great cars like the E30 325, E36 328, and most E39 body cars, BMW should be ashamed of the E32 750 (unfortunately with what we've seen with the new E65 7 series so far, history may repeat itself). Though some problems are common to all E32 body cars (735i,740) and unfair to just blame the 12 cyl models. Whether it be: Throttle motors, Intake gaskets, Fuel leaks, Head gaskets, Engine wire harnesses, Air mass meters, Fuel injectors, Spark plug wire sets, One of the two DME's (engine control mod), Drive belt pulley's, or basically anything that uses electrons in the car. 750's and 850's are a nightmare financially. Forget resale value, some of them originally sold for 60k, the 850's much more, and now they aren't worth half that. The car is junk. If you must go with a BMW 12 cylinder, get a '96 or newer 750, they really are well sorted cars. [20 hours later this follow-up] hello, for the webmaster, i read your 750 story and your complaint about a constant shimmy from the front end. My advice would be to have the thrust rod bushings checked. For E32(7)and E34(5) body cars like yours those bushings are the weakest links in the front suspension and it is quite common for them to wear out and cause a shimmy.
    MJ <email address on file>
    Massachusetts USA - Sunday, June 9, 2002 at 15:15

Axel's reply: Wish I had the chance to talk with you before buying a 750iL. All I seek is the truth, nothing more, and certainly nothing less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMW Sucks. Thanks Axel, this website made me feel so much better for buying my 1989 750IL. As others, I bought this heap, because of the status symbol. The previous owner was the president of [a major Hollywood studio- omitted to protect privacy]. I put 8000 miles on the car and my repairs add up to about $7000. HELP!!!!!!!!
    Kevin (1989 750iL) <email address on file>
    USA - Thursday, April 25, 2002 at 20:24

Axel's reply: You're not the only one spending about a $1 per mile to keep your 750iL running. And I learned the hard way that buying an $80,000 car from a CEO didn't help one bit. You're in trouble and only in for more of the same!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horror. I own 1992 BMW 750 il. BMW cost me $72,000. The BMW sat in the repair shop more than three months with the bill piling up. The bill is charged to my company and one day my accountant came into my office and told me we have a problem with one of the expense accounts. The bill had accumulated to $43,000 and more coming. I was stunned and called my mechanic and he asked me whether he should stop fixing whatever he was fixing. I told him to finish and no more. I have had many BMWs before, but I have never had this kind of horrendous repair cost; reliability of BMW is getting lower and lower. The best BMW I had was 2002. I have Toyota Truck with over 300,000 miles on it and it still runs beautifully. I will abandon all German vehicles and stay with Japanese.
    Philip K. (1992 750iL) <email address on file>
    California USA - Thursday, April 11, 2002 at 9:07

Axel's reply: You're saying the best BMW you've owned is a 2002? It's April of 2002- has that been enough time to evaluate any maintenance needs? I think not.

Hi, We purchased a 750il after having owned several BMWs ranging from a 2002 to a 735. They were all excellent automobiles, durable and fun to drive. The 750, however, was a complete disaster. I will never consider owning another BMW after having had this experience with the 750. To sum up the experience, after the car was out of its warranty period, I spend $5951.00 over the next six months in non-maintenance type repairs. The service manager at the local dealership said things will only get worse. He said they are simply a maintenance nightmare. The straw that broke the camel's back, was when the universal joints went bad on the driveshaft. Now I can understand that universal joints wear out, but at 52,000 miles. Moreover, on other cars they are simply changed for $200.00 and you are on your way. The 750 has universal joints, according to the dealer, which cannot be changed, instead you replace the entire drive shaft for a mere $900.00. The engine is a marvel to look at, but believe me it is Jaguar and Joe Lucus all wrapped into one.
    Gary G. (750iL) <email address on file>
    USA - Tuesday, March 19, 2002 at 10:37

Axel's reply: Similar to your experience, I had other BMWs without any complications- it has been the 750iL that has been a disaster.

1989 piece of sh*t. Need I say more! Pissed owner. BMW (Bring Money With you)
    Ken V. (750iL) <email address on file>
    USA - Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 6:06

Axel's reply: The one I've heard that I like is: BMW Break My Wallet.

Bought mine in 1995, 50K miles on it, thought I made a great deal..Huh!...I put 50K more miles on it and $27K in repairs and finally it sits in my garage for the past year, worth NOTHING, collecting dust. My wife wants to use it as a planter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jim M. (1990 750iL) <email address on file>
    Houston, Texas USA - Thursday, February 7, 2002 at 15:57

Axel's reply: If I used my 750 as a planter, it would probably leak.

Hi, I'm kind of in the middle of the situation your site documents. Yes, my 750 has lots of the faults you've reported such as: No heat seating - Could you tell me which bit keep going wrong. Steering Shimmers ( but only occasionally, BMW tell me it's because I have 17inch wheels!!!!). Rear Light keep going off. Washer Bottle keeps coming up empty when it's not. But I haven't yet had any of the major mechanical problem you've had (thank god!!!). Although I had some very frighting receipts with the car when I brought it, such as Engine ECU's, new heads, new radiators. You mention on the site you know of someone in the UK that's good with these car's, could you let me have their details so that I can get a few of the niggles sorted. Thanks Mate.
    John K. (750iL) <email address on file>
    UK - Tuesday, November 27, 2002 at 8:57

Axel's reply: [Privately, I referred him to a site to get do-it-yourself tips].

Hi- Was surfing the www and your site caught my eye. I am actually after, and have not found after an hour on the web, a site which might give a DIY [do it yourself] person a 'heads up' on repairs and maintenance. I have had my 750iL (1990) for only a short time and it has been fun, but like so many of the bad luck stories I have read on your site, I too have had an unfair amount of problems, and I am now afraid, very afraid. The latest one is the passenger side low beam light. It blew a couple of weeks ago, I replaced it and yesterday it appeared to be blown again. New bulb and it still did not work. Checked the bulb, OK checked the source and no power from the green yellow feed wire. AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Fuses OK, so it looks like a trace on the wire back to the fuse box may be required but!! I was hoping that you or your readers may have experience this and may be able to point me in the right direction. I am living in the UK, London, not sure that that matters, other than it is a RH drive car. Any help you can afford is appreciated. Happy for you to pass on my email address to some-one you feel could and would be willing to help, but posting it on the web I do not think would help. In anticipation Many thanks
    Allan (1990 750iL) <email address on file>
    London UK - Saturday, October 13, 2001 at 4:10

Axel's reply: Sounds like a minor beginning, but your car has the makings of a troublesome car. Let's hope not. [Privately, I referred him to a place where he could get advice as a do-it-yourself owner]. TO-BE-CONTINUED
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

The continuing part

Quote Originally Posted by Continued

Love/hate- Where do I start... I bought a 1990 750iL in Feb. 1998 after having my share of bad luck with cars (to put it in perspective, my favorite car I had owed up to this point was a '65 Corvair Corsa...) and I thought that even a used BMW with 100,000 miles was better than a new car. You mean it has a V-12? Well sign me up!!! I guess I should have asked why there was a case of oil in the trunk... The car smoked from day one. A month after I got it the pig started to run poorly, missing on two or three cylinders. I decided to give it a tuneup-myself. One thousand dollars later, and I have new plugs, wires, distributor caps, and rotors to get the job done. And what a pain in the ass to do the job. Three of the plugs were fouled with, you guessed it, oil. The dealer recommended work on the PCV (that's positive crankcase ventilation) system. Nine hundred dollars and two weeks later I am again the proud owner of a running 750iL. Then the transmission cable broke-300 dollars. Oh yeah and the whole time I've owned the car the message ESD regelt shows up on the genius display followed by BRAKE LIGHT CKT, AND NO ONE AT ANY BMW DEALER CAN TELL ME WHAT THE @$%! IT MEANS - ARRRGGGHHH! The steering had a lot of play in it, so 1400 dollars was spent on an entirely new front end, as well as 1600 dollars for new rear shocks (this was a total mistake). Car then developed an oil leak that I have tried in vain to fix for two years, it smells like burnt oil all the time and is embarrassing to take anywhere. The final stage unit then puked, which made the interior fan run on high all the time. I replaced the part, after another 300 dollars...(the fan itself had to be later replaced by the dealer-400 dollars). The cylinders were then leak down checked, and the three musketeers that were fouled when I bought the car were all no better than 63% (That's bad) indicating a severe problem in each of those cylinders. Oh yeah, and it cost me 600 dollars for that piece of good news, after which the service writer told me that "that car wasn't designed for that engine and blah, blah, blah," I couldn't listen anymore. Fall 2000- water pump blew, stranding me again. 700 dollars later it got fixed. Then things got really ugly... The alternator blew out in the middle of nowhere and I had it towed to a gas station/repair shop to be fixed. It was close and to quote myself "anyone can fix an alternator"... Famous last words... 900 dollars later I had a two month repair (I didn't know this yet) on the alternator. Two months later it died again, this time it went to the dealer, who soaked me for a power steering pump as well. The dealer told me the alternator was garbage, so I went to the hole in the wall garage and they told me to stuff it. Used to this response by now I decided to get on with life in the shadow of another 2000 dollar repair bill... If you think that with all these repairs my BMW would be the pride of the fleet, AND YOU WOULD BE WRONG. The economy/sport/manual transmission mode switch doesn't work, the asc light won't come on when you turn the system off, it needs new rotors (for the third time), it pisses oil everywhere (after I have put I don't know how many gaskets, seals, o-rings etc on the thing), and the ac compressor just started to not work (when you hit the button the belt squeals and the system shuts the compressor off).

The last thing is that I have fixed the 6 disk cd changer numerous times before I finally machined my own part to fix the problem. It was the relay gear that shuffles the cd from the pack to the head. I claim this as a small victory in that I KNOW that this will not break again... More famous last words.

If anyone knows where to get a compressor on the cheap, email me. Ciao...
    Dean H. (1990 750iL) <email address on file>
    USA - Sunday, June 24, 2001 at 21:19

Axel's reply: Wow- déjà vu! I'll let you know if I find a good deal on a compressor, because mine too is in need of a replacement.

hello, i too am a 750il owner and ive had nothing but trouble since i got it i cant switch off the service lights even though it went into the garage to be serviced . now the dif and drive shafts have gone. do you know any where in uk where i might get a second hand set
    Jim D. (750iL) <email address on file>
    U.K. - Saturday, June 23, 2001 at 5:10

Axel's reply: If you're speaking of a cellular hand-set, sorry no, I don't know where to get a 2nd hand set, but that sounds like the least of your problems.

Hello, my name is A., and I work at a BMW dealership in the service department. I just have to tell you the fact that dozens of people have told you already. You have one of the crappiest cars ever made in terms of reliance. Those cars, in my opinion, tarnished the record of BMW in terms of reliable cars, and they recently have just gotten that back with the tremendously reliable 3 cars. Finally, knowing truthfully that I would be extremely upset if this were my car, and I could get no action from the manufacturer, I would pursue litigation. But you have to remember with any car that is not new, it's up to you to deal with lemons. Any consumer report could have told you the car was horrible (unless of course you bought the car new, which I don't know), and BMW has the upperhand. Good luck in pursuance of a newer car. And unless you need that luxury, I'd stay away from 7 cars, although the newer ones are MUCH better.
    A. <name withheld> <email address on file>
    USA - Saturday, June 9, 2001 at 22:35

Axel's reply: NOW you tell me! Yes, I have heard from many people at the BMW dealership the same thing, but unfortunately long after I bought my car.

Dear Axel, my father purchased a used 88' 750 in 1993 with 34,000 miles, he paid $22,000 not a bad deal right? At least that's what we thought. The 1988 BMW 750iL is an electrical nightmare. I will start from the beginning, The dome light bulbs were replace, yet they still don't light up, one head light shorted out, and after that was fixed the fog light shorted out, the sunroof motor was replace along the with the sunroof button, yet it still to this day does not work right, the consol lights would sometimes not work, the cruise control stopped working, if you put a cassette tape in the tape player it will spit it right back out, the sports drive button was replaced, you know how you can easily bring you window up and down with one tap of the button, well that works sometimes, that radio has the worst reception I have ever heard in a car, the battery was replaced I don't know how many times, the cruise control went out and so on. Here are the mechanical difficulties we have experienced with the car. When my father bought the car it had a nice set of AC Schnitzer type 3 wheels, well two of them were cracked driving over railroad tracks and potholes, the car is too heavy they say, he tried to replace them until we found out that one wheel cost $1,400, so we put one spare on and filled the other tire up every three days. Moving on, sometimes for no reason the car would only want to use six cylinders instead of it's twelve making the engine overheat, why it did this I DON'T KNOW so if you ever see the EML light come on that means your 750 only has half of it's power, the drive shaft had to be replaced after we started to hear a clunking sound while making a turn or accelerating fast, the mechanic said BMW makes a drive shaft that never needs to be greased, yeah! It just needs to be replace after 130,000 miles. It leaks oil, anti freeze, and any other liquid there is, one of the windshield wipers comes loose if you turn them on, it great when you driving on a hot summer day and the car starts to overheat, so we have to turn the heater on full blast! Your going to love this one, so here I am, driving down the street about 3 miles from my house just going to grab a bite to eat, I stop at a stop sign and when I go to accelerate I hardly move, the engine is still running but for some reason the redline is 1 grand instead of 6, so I have to pull over at a top speed of 1 mph, I'm thinking the car is out of gas because the gauge is on empty, but the light was not on. So I put it in park get out and see if there is a payphone near to call my dad, so I lock the doors, but only the drivers door locks up, so then I have to go around and lock all the doors, and the trunk. I called my dad he came down and we both were trying to figure out what was going on, not a clue. So we called a tow truck and brought It down to our mechanic. The next day he call my father and explained to him the problem. There was a short from the window motor in the driver's side door, made which caused the gas pedal not to work, the door locks not to work, the gauges not to work, and the computer not to work, now that's nuts. The one thing I thank the car for is its tank like frame, and weight. A year ago I got rear ended by a Honda Civc pretty hard. The Civic was destroyed the back of the 750 was all right, Just a little dent and a couple scratches. Sorry about the spelling and grammar, I was trying to type fast. So I say the 750 is the biggest head ache of a car you can buy, its not worth the price.
    Eric (1988 750iL) <email address on file>
    Bay Area, California USA - Monday, May 07, 2001 at 00:19:35

Axel's reply: I'm getting a headache just trying to follow along with what has gone wrong with your car.
    Last edited by Ingolstadt; 01-29-2007 at 09:04 PM.

HOWEVER, i found some good bits too.

Here goes:
    Quote Originally Posted by
    First Comment
    "German engineering at its best"
    What things have gone wrong with the car?
    The lights kept randomly turning off.

Onboard computer backlighting broke.

Vehicle "shimmys" at 90km/h.

Air con not working.

General comments?
    The headlights and tail lights thing is a well-known problem and easy to fix on your own, or you could pay an auto-sparky - it's a 15 minute job resoldering some connections. I also cleaned the headlights out and got far better light - they fill with dust - being good Hella units they can be stripped and cleaned with little fuss.

The OBC backlighting is just a bulb I believe - but its hard to get at because someone previous installed an aftermarket stereo that's a pig to get out...

The shimmy is also a well-known worn bush fault and is about $300 to get fixed with after-market bushes, or about $450 using genuine BMW parts.

The Air Con was going to cost over $1000 to fix due to a valve in under the dash that needs fixing - hell, I have a sunroof and windows to wind down

Overall tho its pretty reliable for its age, and a dream to drive. Its not the most economical car to drive, but if I wanted a Mazda 121 I would buy one (then I'd shoot myself)

Second Comment
    "Possibly the best value for money I've ever had from a car. 45'000 miles for £450"
    New front discs and pads (big deal!)

Front shocks (220'000 miles)

Passenger front window doesn't always work.

Both front calipers have stuck and needed freeing off.

Front track control arms.

General comments?
    Buying a 15 year old BMW with 204'000 miles isn't always the best move. But he's now done 248'500 miles and I've had it since July 2004. It hasn't broken down YET, but you know it's going to one day - with this mileage it has to!

Original engine, clutch, gearbox and diff, rear shocks. Only replaced the front shocks because of an annoying knocking sound which turned out to be the top mount. The (original) 220'000 mile shocks have been kept because they're still okay. Car does have a detailed service record and it had a new water pump and rad not long before I bought it.

Of course it's had minor problems, but what a shame BMW or Merc don't build them like this anymore - strong, mechanically simple cars that can do almost 250'000 miles without going horribly wrong.

Third Comment
    "The ultimate family car for parents who refuse to grow up"
    Water pump leaking day afer buying.

Radiator leak cured with teflon tape.

General comments?
    For a 15 year old car, this has to be the nicest car I've owned.

Bad gas millage, but who cares.

My friend owns a twin turbo civic, and he hates my BMW, he can't keep up.

For a car that weighs as much as a 1984 Cadillac Fleetwood, it handles as good as my Dad's Cobra Mustang.

So reliable and comfortable the only thing I worry about on a road trip is falling asleap.

BMW must be hard pressed to build a better car year after year, especially after this one.

Here's more if you feel like needed: http://www.carsurvey.org/review_66680.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt
    HOWEVER, i found some good bits too.

So reliable and comfortable the only thing I worry about on a road trip is falling asleap.

BMW must be hard pressed to build a better car year after year, especially after this one.
    Here's more if you feel like needed: http://www.carsurvey.org/review_66680.html
    Here's the tip - you should always consider the mileage travelled when judging the veracity of those reviews

That "so reliable" remark was from an owner of just 5,000 miles

I never realized these cars had so many problems. But I still love em. I would really love to have a 750. But I can't understand why a 5.0L V12 is only Making 300 HP?? My '98 Caddy makes that much with a 4.6L V8. I think I might consider one anyways though. I think it's the only car I'd replace my STS with.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_2
    I never realized these cars had so many problems. But I still love em. I would really love to have a 750. But I can't understand why a 5.0L V12 is only Making 300 HP?? My '98 Caddy makes that much with a 4.6L V8. I think I might consider one anyways though. I think it's the only car I'd replace my STS with.
    That's a slightly unfair comparison. This car was conceived about 10 years before the Seville (your model) was built.

Also, hp/l is a pretty useless figure. Useful if you want to impress someone with a BS figure, but it's for Top Trumps only.

And if you do really want to get that big V12 working, then it's got plenty of tuning capability.

Then you've got torque. Your car has 400NM, give or take a few. The BMW has 450NM.

Ill read that up there when i get home from school

Also a 3500+lb car with 300hp or so going 0-60 in around 7 sec. is pretty impressive if ya ask me.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMan22
    Ill read that up there when i get home from school

Also a 3500+lb car with 300hp or so going 0-60 in around 7 sec. is pretty impressive if ya ask me.
    Is that what they do?? Mine is 3700lbs, FWD and it does it in about 6.5

Is that what they do?? Mine is 3700lbs, FWD and it does it in about 6.5
    Around 7 seconds leaves a lot of room for improvement...

I never realized these cars had so many problems. But I still love em. I would really love to have a 750. But I can't understand why a 5.0L V12 is only Making 300 HP?? My '98 Caddy makes that much with a 4.6L V8.
    Its the first time i have seen an american take on europeans with hp/l. it may be a very subjective figure but its highly defended. Is the V8 in question the northstar V8? it interests me greatly because they designed it to fit in FWD cars, that aside its one of the few american engines to take advantage of 4vpc and variable vlave timing.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    Its the first time i have seen an american take on europeans with hp/l. it may be a very subjective figure but its highly defended. Is the V8 in question the northstar V8? it interests me greatly because they designed it to fit in FWD cars, that aside its one of the few american engines to take advantage of 4vpc and variable vlave timing.

Yep. I have the Northstar. Although, and earlier one without Variable valve timing. I'm not bashing the BMW at all btw. Just wondering why there was such a difference. I would would still drive one if given the chance.

Yep. I have the Northstar. Although, and earlier one without Variable valve timing. I'm not bashing the BMW at all btw. Just wondering why there was such a difference. I would would still drive one if given the chance.
    yeah, no offence meant whatsoever. Im guessing bmw didnt put as much emphasis on power for the early road going V12s, however the 850i was an interesting car!
    autozine.org

My Math teacher has an '04 760iL and has done around 35,000 - 40,000miles, he's just had the fan belt snap and shear the timing belt on his car.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    yeah, no offence meant whatsoever. Im guessing bmw didnt put as much emphasis on power for the early road going V12s, however the 850i was an interesting car!
    V-12 is not necessarily built for high power, just smoothness.

and tom, thats crappy, cause that is likely just out of warranty.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information