Thread: New old car shopping

New old car shopping

Alright experts, I need some advice. I'm looking to get a more financially manageable used car and I am looking at the $2200 CAD range. I've been leaning towards an early 90s Toyota Celica GT, and I was wondering what these cars are like in terms of reliability, and all that jazz. My other picks are a 92 Acura Integra GS, or some mid-90s VW Golf.

All the cars seem to be around the 150-200k mileage mark, and ideally I'd like the sportier trims (GT, GS, GL, etc). I basically need guidance, I don't know much mechanically, especially about these cars.

Thanks in advance. And of course I'm sure Quiggs will recommend the VW, so point taken already.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

I used to own a 91 Celica All-Trac.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ghlight=mj9977

It was extremely reliable, I never once had a mechanical problem and the car had approximately 105k miles to its name. I would definitely recommend it.
    Hang on when ya had enough, give more when ya feel like givin up.

Quote Originally Posted by mj9977
    I used to own a 91 Celica All-Trac.
    What happened to it?

Beauty, well that further reinforces confidence in my choice. My initial reason is mostly because it's the nicest, most modern looking. Did it seem like it would last for a lot longer at 105k, because I think the specific one I may get will have up around 150-200k... which is my biggest concern.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Celica of those three.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    What happened to it?
    Unfortunately I had to sell it back in April. At the time I needed money for college and I was unemployed, so the car was the first thing to go. I'll be shopping for another car after graduation in May, however, so that should be quite exciting.

Originally Posted by zeppelin
    Did it seem like it would last for a lot longer at 105k, because I think the specific one I may get will have up around 150-200k... which is my biggest concern.
    Imho, the car could have easily lasted 200k. The engine started like a beauty every time, and never gave me trouble. I should mention however, that I did baby it. It was a one owner car when I bought it, and the previous person also took very good care of it. That aside, as long as the car has been decently maintained, I think it would last beyond 200k miles. And I also agree that it is the best looking of the three choices, but perhaps I'm a bit biased
    Hang on when ya had enough, give more when ya feel like givin up.

I'd recomend the Toyota too. Make sure you get one that is looked after rather than go for a cheap higher spec model. Getting an absolutly standard one also helps, anyone who modifys there car usually drives them hard.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Acura Integra, theres tons of them around...still. So they can't be too unreliable, and it is also good looking.

Ah yes, well this is a bone-stock example. And it's the GT version, so that's decent too.

Update however: I found a 1992 BMW 318 for $2990. It's lowered and has an M3 bumper and is gorgeous. However, I am of course skeptical because it's at 260k, and $2990 seems a bit cheap for a 318. What does everyone think, suspect problems?

However I'm not looking for super longevity (I really would like a car that I could pay off by school in september, and I'd need it for about 2 years with occasional driving at most).... and it's a BMW 318. Too hard to resist.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Don't take the beemer. Well i say this just on face value. 260K is not exactly low in terms of odometer readings. I understand the temptation seeing how it is a beemer. My dad bought a 07 328i we get it delivered in late Feb. but i figure a bmw will set you back more in maintenance, and that it will need more maintaince then the Celica because of al those kms. I would look for a golf, the prices will have dropped after the complete redesign and i've always had a fancy for them. There is no doubt that the Celica is the best looking though.

EDIT: almost forgot to add, the intergra is has the highest theft rating of any used car in Canada...you may want to consider that, that and i simply am not a fan of the way it looks.
    Last edited by bmwpower; 01-31-2007 at 10:53 AM.
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Quote Originally Posted by mj9977
    Unfortunately I had to sell it back in April. At the time I needed money for college and I was unemployed, so the car was the first thing to go. I'll be shopping for another car after graduation in May, however, so that should be quite exciting.

Imho, the car could have easily lasted 200k. The engine started like a beauty every time, and never gave me trouble. I should mention however, that I did baby it. It was a one owner car when I bought it, and the previous person also took very good care of it. That aside, as long as the car has been decently maintained, I think it would last beyond 200k miles. And I also agree that it is the best looking of the three choices, but perhaps I'm a bit biased
    That sucks.

Of this trio, I'd go for the Acura first, then the Toyota and then the VW. Although the Acura and the Toyota are tied for first because you shouldn't go wrong with either of them.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I'd have to go with the VDub. Not only do I feel it's the best looking of the three (by far), it's also likely to be the most solid and luxurious feeling of the three. However, I'd be a little cautious, as from what I've seen, the North American model VW's are hit or miss on reliability - either they're gonna be the most reliable car you've ever had, or they'll be complete pieces of junk, nothing in between.

Anyhow, good luck!
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Yeah I've noticed that about VWs too. My one friend's mom had an early 2000s Golf and it was rock solid, never a fault. My other friend's dad has one from around the same year, and it's already needed a completely new engine.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far.

Celica GT for sure. Brother had one exactly like the one above except it was white. Never had a problem with it. My parents might have had the clutch replaced once. But it was a 91. Good lookin cars for the age if you ask me too.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Thread Information