Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honda S2000 Type R

S2000 Successor To Get Acura Badge?

According to Winding Road, The S2000 successor may be an Acura.

Honda is moving well away from the hardcore, high revving uncompromising feel of the S2000, more towards the mainstream with the current proposal also fitted out with a retractable power hard top.

The rear-drive proposal is still at the ‘maybe’ stage, there definitely is a market for a more accommodating S2000 successor, especially with a bigger, better cabin.

http://news.windingroad.com/countrie...t-acura-badge/
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    To my mind, if they got rid of the digital gauges, I think the S2000 interior was pretty ideal.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Wasn't the replacement of the S2000 canecelled?
    Guess not. But if the new one is going to be a lower performing one than the current one, then why bother?

Less power doesn't have to mean lower performing. If they can get a meaningful reduction in weight, they can make it just as fast in a straight line while improving its tossability, etc - takes it closer to the roots of sportscars, IMHO, although all the options they're gonna do it up with kind of muddles that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Guess not. But if the new one is going to be a lower performing one than the current one, then why bother?
    Lower price...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Ferrer, you're right.

Back to jcp123- I meant it as an overall performance. Each generation should be an evolution of some sort of the next. The S2000 was somewhat ahead of the Mazda MX-3. If it becomes its equal (which is what they're planning to do), then that means it probably gains in weight and loses in power. Then what's the point of building a car that decreases in overall performance from the original? It doesn't make sense. It was a hot seller as it is. Keep it that way, don't mess with a winning formula. If you want to, make two versions, one hardcore, the other softer. Why make the enthusiasts suffer?

I understand what you mean...I don't really know what they're planning to do with the car, but even though I'm no fan of the S2k, I respect it and hope they don't water it down.

I have often thought similarly to you, that there should be real, strippo hardcore performance versions of so-called performance cars - they type of thing where the options list is limited to a heater, radio, maybe a/c. I'd love to do that with Pontiac, and then leave the more plush versions of the car to other dicisions to make their own. Think Chevrolet with a Miata-killer, Pontiac taking the same thing, stripping it down, and putting it in the performance class of the BMW M3 and selling it for ~$25-30.000, and Oldsmobile doing yet another rendition of it that's roughly equivalent to a Z3 (or Z4 or whatever) - kind of luxurious, kind of sporty, not overly loaded with either. As long as the styling doesn't reveal the whole badge-engineering thing GM seems to be so fond of, it's an idea that could work.

It was a hot seller as it is.
    It sold well, but it was never a hot seller. The intention was not to sell, anyway. It served as a halo car, improving the brand image of Honda, a role it accomplished rather successfully.

The MX-5 is a hot seller.

But, I agree with you NSX, they should not water it down. Get a better interior, update the exterior, keep the motor and the recipe for success is still there

I think it still exceeded sales expectations. They weren't expecting it to sell that well.

Let's just hope the next S2000 will stay mostly the same.

On the other hand, do you guys think the Acura concept of the next supercar is any good?
    (maybe I should make a new thread for this?)

Do you guys think the Acura concept of the next supercar is any good?
    I don't like the fact that they went front engined for their "supercar". After the HSC concept I expected a V10 NSX successor..

Apart from that I don't really like the design language of the car, but that's personal opinion

Yes, I feel the same. It's different, even with all these electronic gadgets and stuff like that on it. It's not the same. Stick with the original formula please. And ditch that SH-AWD for pete's sake.

Thread Information