Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gumpert Apollo Sport... 800hp supercar

Gumpert Apollo Sport... 800hp supercar

"There’s a pretty good chance you’ve never heard of the company Gumpert, or its full name, Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur, but it’s a name you might be hearing more of in the future. Anyone familiar with the racing scene during the ‘80s, however, will not only be familiar with the name, but the man behind it. Roland Gumpert, the managing director of the car maker in question was an employee of Audi and had massive influence on its motorsports team. The original Audi Quattro changed the face of rallying in the ‘80s by being the first of the Group B rally cars to feature four-wheel drive. This vehicle was developed under the watchful eye of Gumpert, not to mention the role he played in developing its predecessor, the “Iltis”. During his time at Audi, Gumpert guided the Coupe Quattro team to a total of 25 World Rally Championship race wins, and four World Rally Championships in the ‘80s.

As if 650 horsepower isn’t enough for you, Apollo has boosted the power to an astonishing 800, allowing the new Sport model to hit 100 km/h in just three seconds, and on to a top speed of 358 km/h (223 mph). At those speeds, stability and control rest in the hands of aerodynamics and airflow, which is why the Apollo Sport features a new rear wing and various other tweaks.
    Besides making the Apollo faster, and better handling, Gumpert has also given the cabin a more luxurious look as most of the interior’s surfaces – the dashboard, steering wheel, gearshift gate, door panels and seats – are trimmed in grippy Alcantara. Like the original, the Apollo Sport is considered a “made to measure” vehicle. Gumpert arranges the seating layout, the pedals, steering column and even the seat’s cushions and trim to fit the driver like a glove.

Also, due to buyers of supercars demanding the latest in luxury, the Apollo comes equipped with a DVD-based navigation system, as well as a rear-facing reverse camera which helps the driver to maneuver this rather unwieldy vehicle into a parking slot, or, as Gumpert says, “shows how quickly the overtaken cars disappear from view.”

Without any options, the Apollo Sport will set a buyer back €299,500 ($457,520 CAD). "

Full Report at: http://news.en.autos.sympatico.msn.c...mentid=3606678
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

I'd never spend half-a-million bucks on anything that ugly.

I wouldn't say its ugly, I think that it has some defined characteristics, to say the least. The thing has some power though.

FUGLY, can't these new manufacturers just learn something from Pagani ? Why must they launch cars in such an imminent ugliness? Ascari ..... Noble... .. yucks....
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    There used to be a thread here about why the zonda was so fugly

It looks OK in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. - UTTER RUBBISH.

In the fantasy world, where everyone is equal, had the equal rights to make the equal comments, the poor and idiot chose the stupid and ugly, because the clever and rich told them : Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. That's how, everyone's happy.

Ok, enuf of BS. Gumpert's fugly. But i'd still get it over an Ascari.

Gumbert's look like they're on a mission to destroy. I'd hit it.

Despite the smaller pics it still looks ugly in my opinion. However that's not its main problem in my view. To be a good supercar it lacks the drama and the excitement. It simply is too much form following function, too cold and clinical. In short, too german.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Gumbert's look like they're on a mission to destroy. I'd hit it.
    i know what you mean, it looks like it's going to blow up an orphanage on the way to the track or something. it's not elegant but it doesn't have BMW levels of ugliness either.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. - UTTER RUBBISH.

In the fantasy world, where everyone is equal, had the equal rights to make the equal comments, the poor and idiot chose the stupid and ugly, because the clever and rich told them : Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. That's how, everyone's happy.

Ok, enuf of BS. Gumpert's fugly. But i'd still get it over an Ascari.
    Ali_Baba?! Is that you?!

wtf? is that you o mighty lantern err teapot ?

anyway, i got it, the Gumpert looked like one of these :

Last edited by Ingolstadt; 03-03-2007 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt
    WOW.
    Before, I had the rich telling me what to think but now I have random Internet yahoo to tell me whats what!

Thank you Interweb!

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    it's not elegant but it doesn't have BMW levels of ugliness either.
    Although I find the current 3 series plain, I love the 5 and the little I've seen of the new M3 voids the warranty on my underdacks.
    The Gumpert looks like a car that for once didn't have a team of marketers and designers freely raping history and spoiling aerodynamics in quest of a "look".
    For that, I like it.
    Last edited by P4g4nite; 03-03-2007 at 05:23 AM.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

It's absolutely hideous, but I still want one.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Well it's not particularly beautiful, I admit, but it's a darn good example of great engineering. I would take one anyway.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

I'd have one, I'm sure it would look good in black.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Thread Information