Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke my notebook

Broke my notebook

This is so f*cked up ... This morning I dropped a box on my (new) Acer notebook, resulting in a broken LCD screen. On the right side of the screen there is now a big black beam...

I contacted Acer by their support website, now waiting for an answer. Luckily (if you can call it that) it was on the right side so I can still use it for the moment. I hope it falls under the warranty. And of course I didn't tell Acer I dropped the box on it...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

*hugs*

Buy an Apple

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    *hugs*

Buy an Apple
    Why would I? This one can still be repaired...

Thanks for your sympathy BTW
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    This is so f*cked up ... This morning I dropped a box on my (new) Acer notebook, resulting in a broken LCD screen. On the right side of the screen there is now a big black beam...

I contacted Acer by their support website, now waiting for an answer. Luckily (if you can call it that) it was on the right side so I can still use it for the moment. I hope it falls under the warranty. And of course I didn't tell Acer I dropped the box on it...
    Offcourse not telling is always the best option Good luck,man. Make sur you call so often they fix it to get rid of you... This tactic worked for my mp3-player and the notebook i type on now !

Good luck

Sounds like it might be the connector for that column on the screen.

As long as their is no mark on the outside this is the way to proceed. Tell thhem this happened .....

You released the locks on the display and gripped it on the right hand front corner and pulled it up into place. You noticed it was a bit stiffer than normal and heard a kind of crack. You stopped opening the screen and inspected it to find the failed area on the LCD. You ask them to check the hinge when replacing the screen and suggest it was contributory to the failure. Point out you dont' want it to make another screen crack.

LCD screens don't crac by thems
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thanks Peter... I'll see what I can do with that

You could do what one of my mates did with his dell and rip the screen off and plug in a monitor .
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    LCD screens don't crac by thems
    Actually they do. My dad has had it once. He closed his iBook and the next morning the screen was all cracked up and colours shifted, black lines etc. Only a few parts of the screen were still usable.
    And no, he didn't drop it or apply any pressure whatsoever. It could be pretty darn rare but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Actually they do. My dad has had it once. He closed his iBook and the next morning the screen was all cracked up and colours shifted, black lines etc. Only a few parts of the screen were still usable.
    And no, he didn't drop it or apply any pressure whatsoever. It could be pretty darn rare but it does happen.
    hee-hee ..... nope
    Is your mum keeping quiet about it ?
    Only exceptionally bad mechanical design will hold an LCD in stress sufficient to crack without "external" input. NOT what you'd get with an Apple
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

All I can tell you is that it cracked and he didn't do anything with it.. Maybe the cold got to it or something I dunno.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    That's okay. My parents got me a really nice laptop (one of the last IBM-build ThinkPads) for college...not really something I wanted, but it was pretty much required these days, and besides that it was their handy lightweight travel model. Anyhow, in summer '05, I accidentally stepped on the screen. Cracked and went crazy. Call to IBM ---> $900 for a screen, plus labour to install. We got a regular monitor instead and pretend it's a desktop now.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Don't you love it when others pay for your mistakes .
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

You ought to be a little more careful next time, eh?
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Just keep telling them it wasn't you, they can't call you a liar They'll just take 6 months to repair it

I'm having notebook troubles too All the screws are falling out of the bottom of my Toshiba machine, so after about 6 had fallen out and it was ready to fall apart I decided to do a repair job. I turned it upside down and started screwing them back in. What I didn't notice was that the screws that fell out differ slightly in size. Now I have holes coming through the other side of the notebook, next to the keyboard. Looks pretty funny. I'm lucky as hell that they missed the screen though!

I just got an e-mail from Acer Benelux. They have sent me a form to fill in and they also said that I need to send it in by UPS. They haven't mentioned anything yet about warranty or so, so I guess it will be good...
    Last edited by McReis; 02-02-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Thread Information