Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official: the new Volvo V70

Well it's a bit... boring. Then again you could argue that Volvos are meant to be predictable and safe. I like the C30, I though that was bold-ish (for Volvo that is), but this one is just overdone in my opinion.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I agree there is a degree of subtlety that has gone missing - but it's demanded in todays' bold, Grill'd and blinged world. 10 years ago this would have been one radical volvo.

nowadays we complain that they overstyle and it's boring .
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    I agree there is a degree of subtlety that has gone missing - but it's demanded in todays' bold, Grill'd and blinged world. 10 years ago this would have been one radical volvo.

nowadays we complain that they overstyle and it's boring .
    Well that was my original point. The current theme has been used successfully by Volvo, in fact in my opinion they have gone from invisible cars to something quite cool. But now they are just overdiong it, I think I'd be better to change the style again.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think to even pull back the style and just evolve it - as opposed to taking one element of the old design and messing with everything else. the rear lights have just engorged and the front looks like Joan Rivers eyes.

i think the side design still works but more work is needed to integrate the details.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Has anyone noticed the Volvo's design style (pronounced rear shoulders amongst other things) is almost a million years old? They could produce something different...
    Just remember they had the old square 2 series for well over 20 years. If you think this is a million years old, just think back to the beginning of the 90's

Quote Originally Posted by john14
    I hate Volvo's recent styling. At least, the old Volvos have some real style and charm. I can't see any real style or charm when I look at this new Volvo V70 or any other "newer" Volvo... In my opinion, Volvo's enormous rear lights are extremely annoying and all of their "newer" cars are very average looking cars at best. This has happened while Saab are manufacturing cars that look great and have real style such as the Saab 9-3. Also, I don't think Volvo's recent interiors are that impressive, they look fairly good but not as great as many people say the interiors are.
    I respect the fact that you don't like the "newer" Volvo styling. Everyone is entitled o their own opinion, but may I ask, what sort of styling would you be happy with? Would you prefer they went back to making large, square-as-all-get-out boxes on wheels? (240, 740 etc.) And also, when you talk about the interiors, I assume you have sat inside boh Saabs and Volvos. Being in a Saab is like being inside the cockpit of an airoplane. There are just way too many buttons! Plus everything is grey!! At least Volvo has the floating centre console that you can get in the ice blue or brushed aluminium.

Do these things still have rear-facing seats in the back?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    why? it's proven to be a highly recognisible and versatile style that can be adapted to just about any body style.

and it's distinctly Volvo.
    That's not stopping Jag.

I wouldn't want to see something "different" from Volvo, anyway. Although, I don't really like sudden departures. I don't the C-XF, which means that Jaguar may, very well, finally, produce a car I dislike.

If they went with a subtle change, I doubt I'd mind, but I prefer consistency.

Back on topic: I like this car. I think Volvos have an inexplicable appeal.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Thread Information