Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How the Manufacturers are Doing...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    As opposed to being what?
    Aluminum, chrome and metal, like they were in the '50s and '60s.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    no. whens the last time you sat in a jap car? shits all over anything chrysler and GM have for an interior, bar their local products here. hell, the 300C is nothing but plastic from the inside of a wheelie bin

US brands can make good engines when they put their mind to it, but cars...lol

Tell me a American engine which is efficient, economical and reliable.

I saw an interesting video on the interior of the Lincoln MKX a while back. The designers want to use better quality materials but management won't let them. If they use a more expensive material in one place, they have to use cheap stuff somewhere else (more expensive materials being those that don't feel like garbage bin plastic) It's pathetic. Can't they look for profit elsewhere?

That's the catch isn't it? Management won't let them use more expensive materials to make more profit, but if they did, they could sell them for more (and probably be accpeted in Europe and sell cars there) and make more money.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    300C was the "best" thing to come over of late and its being outsold easily by aussie Fairlanes and Caprice (ironically owned by Ford and GM respectively)
    And that Chrysler is just a Merc with some american hardware pun into it...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500

"Cheap" is right. Plastic is used on everything but the tires and those will probably be the next things to be plastic.
    You're not making a lot of sense considering you're in favor of American cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    The turbo diesel engine that they put in the Astra, there are three/four delivery vans for the parts company I use and only one has exploded and even then only after running around on minimum oil for 90kMiles + and it got hammered everywhere, the others have seen normal use and seen 200k without trouble.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    The turbo diesel engine that they put in the Astra, there are three/four delivery vans for the parts company I use and only one has exploded and even then only after running around on minimum oil for 90kMiles + and it got hammered everywhere, the others have seen normal use and seen 200k without trouble.
    Do you mean the DTI-ECOTEC engine ? It was an Opel design from Germany for the Eureopan market wasn't it ? What about good American -- be hard pressed to find a diesel one
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    You're not making a lot of sense considering you're in favor of American cars.
    I already said that one reason I like '50s and '60s American cars is because plastic was at a minimum back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    The 4.6L (281-cubic-inch) Ford V-8, used in Fords, Mercurys and Lincolns is all of the above.

I think one of the main problems with American car manufacturing is they stopped manufacturing desirable/good cars after the mid-1970's, with the exception of a few modern American cars such as the modern Dodge Vipers, Ford Mustangs and a few other cars. Many people love the old 1950's, 1960's and 1970's American muscle cars such as the '67 Ford Mustang, '57 Chevy, SS Camaro etc.. and they are the only American cars (most) people want to buy. Those cars have real stlye and class as well as very good performance and power. The simple reality is the greater majority of people would rather by an Asian or European car rather than a modern American car.

Basically, old V8 American muscle cars > Modern American cars.
    Last edited by john14; 02-03-2007 at 12:55 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    C'mon... everything inside a Japanese car is plastic... the dash, the door panels, the console, etc.
    All the better to protect you with. Being hurled against a steel dash can be very damaging. Also, if woods aren't laminated properly, they splinter and get you.

Plastic shouldn't be a bad word anymore. If it doesn't look cheap, is hard to the touch, and sound like you're tapping on an empty lunchbox, modern plastics and rubberized textures have really become very good.

It is best to have leather and quality woods but if this shouldn't take away from the drivetrain budget. That's why cheaper cars are all plastic but will still give you a 100,000 mile tune-up engine...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Do you mean the DTI-ECOTEC engine ? It was an Opel design from Germany for the Eureopan market wasn't it ? What about good American -- be hard pressed to find a diesel one
    The latest diesel engines in GM cars are italian. The 1.3-litre and 1.9-litre come from Fiat and the new 2-litre from VM Motori. The 1.7-litre comes from Isuzu as does 3-litre V6 in the Vectra (I think). So those aren't american either...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    All the better to protect you with. Being hurled against a steel dash can be very damaging. Also, if woods aren't laminated properly, they splinter and get you.
    Shoulder belts (which all of my cars have) prevent being hurled against a steel dash.

Plastic shouldn't be a bad word anymore. If it doesn't look cheap, is hard to the touch, and sound like you're tapping on an empty lunchbox, modern plastics and rubberized textures have really become very good.
    You may be a fan of plastic; I'm not. Let's face it, plastic is used because it's cheaper than metal and because it helps save weight.

It is best to have leather and quality woods but if this shouldn't take away from the drivetrain budget. That's why cheaper cars are all plastic but will still give you a 100,000 mile tune-up engine.
    It's nice to have both. A good engine and leather and wood on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by john14
    I think one of the main problems with American car manufacturing is they stopped manufacturing desirable/good cars after the mid-1970's, with the exception of a few modern American cars such as the modern Dodge Vipers, Ford Mustangs and a few other cars. Many people love the old 1950's, 1960's and 1970's American muscle cars such as the '67 Ford Mustang, '57 Chevy, SS Camaro etc.. and they are the only American cars (most) people want to buy. Those cars have real stlye and class as well as very good performance and power. The simple reality is the greater majority of people would rather by an Asian or European car rather than a modern American car.

Basically, old V8 American muscle cars > Modern American cars.
    I agree. The Lincoln Town Car is just about the only luxury car which is a throwback to the '70s... full-frame, rear wheel drive, V-8. Possibly the Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria, too.

But my favorites will always be the mid-'50s to mid-'70s cars.

Thread Information