Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How the Manufacturers are Doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    I did post some mpg figures on the "Ford Crown Vic" thread. It's around 17-25 mpg in the 4,000-lb Town Cars; maybe 1 mpg more on the Ford Crown Vic and Mercury Grand Marquis. In any case, very good mileage for a full-sized, 6-passenger car. I've seen 6-cyl Toyotas, Mazdas, etc get the same or even worse mpg. And, of course, many trucks and SUVs, even the smaller ones, average only 17 or 18 mpg.

The plastic manifolds were from '96 until at least '98; not sure when they went back to whatever they were using before. My '95 TC does not have the plastic manifold. The owners would just put on an aluminum manifold, no big deal, and the engine would last 200,000, 300,000+ miles.

Anyway, the 4.6 Ford engine is one of their best and has been around quite a while (since 1991, I believe).
    I'd been now inclined to agree with you. It isn't particulary high tech or powerful but it seems to be a jack of all trades.

Give me a BOSS 5.4L v8 from a Falcon any day though

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    I'd been now inclined to agree with you. It isn't particulary high tech or powerful but it seems to be a jack of all trades.
    Right. Which is probably why they are used (out here) in police cars and taxi cabs.

Give me a BOSS 5.4L v8 from a Falcon any day though.
    5.4L... would that be the 351?
    I agree; although the current 4.6's are well-built and reliable, they don't have the low-end torque of the older engines like the 351 or 390.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

5.4L... would that be the 351?
    No, he'd probably be referring to the 5.4L BOSS V8 used by Ford Aus in their Falcons, with VCT and either 24v or 32v and either OHC or DOHC depending on what model you get. Also, 351ci = ~ 5.8L
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Further, shoulder belts did prevent many passengers' heads from coming in contact with the dash or windshield.
    oh dear, times they are NOT a-changing.
    I NEVER said *ALL*
    Not going through this nonsense with you again.
    The EVIDENCE is there on the risks with shoulder belts.
    I'm (NOT) amazed that you know so much more than the transportation board, crash organisations, insurance companies and manufacturers., Hell they should just remove all those airbags as they clearly don't do anything ( in Fleet world )
    !!!!
    Plastic is plastic. I've visited a lot of car message boards and this is the first time I've ever seen anyone praise plastic! But, it you really like plastic that much, go right ahead.
    Ah well need to stay away from ronnie reagan forum
    You're a "plastic bigot" !!!
    I'll forward this comment to the petrochemiocal and plastics industry as they clearly only need to make ONE kind of plastic. They could save a fortune by NOT making all those other kinds as clearly your vast knowledge on the subject is better than theirs - or the markets --- NOT !!!
    Colorado? I'm in California.
    My experience is Colorado. California is for weenies after that UV
    Anyway, I use leather treatment on the seats. And a big sunshade on the dash. And my '69 Fleetwood is parked in the garage; it's only exposed to the sun when I drive it which is only once every 5-10 days. (Incidentally, the leather interior, which is original, is in good condition. Not perfect, but very good considering it's now 38 years old.)
    It was the HEAT I was clearly meaning, no amount of treatment keeps it cool.
    Yep, parking in shade and moving the car when the sun moves so the shade still covers the seats -- covers all 4 seats ? Yeah didnt' think so How many miles do you drive to guarantee a spot in shade or face on to sun ?
    Yeah I dind't think that was realistic.
    You KNOW you've had your ass uncomfortably hot on leather.
    Maybe THAT's why you're brains overheated
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    oh dear, times they are NOT a-changing.
    I NEVER said *ALL*
    Not going through this nonsense with you again.
    The EVIDENCE is there on the risks with shoulder belts.
    I'm (NOT) amazed that you know so much more than the transportation board, crash organisations, insurance companies and manufacturers., Hell they should just remove all those airbags as they clearly don't do anything ( in Fleet world )
    !!!!
    Hey, there are risks everytime you step into a car!
    So tell me... (in the Matra world), what is safer: 1. Lap belts and shoulder belts or 2. Lap belts only.

You're a "plastic bigot" !!!
    I'll forward this comment to the petrochemiocal and plastics industry as they clearly only need to make ONE kind of plastic. They could save a fortune by NOT making all those other kinds as clearly your vast knowledge on the subject is better than theirs - or the markets --- NOT !!!
    Kind of accurate that I am a plastic bigot. But many people are. And you just said it right there "they could save a fortune." That's one reason why plastic is used extensively these days- because it's cheaper than metal. Also to save weight, of course.

My experience is Colorado. California is for weenies after that UV
    I had to laugh when I read that. I just enjoyed a nice 80-degree day, gentle warm winds blowing and visibility of 40 miles. How is your weather?

It was the HEAT I was clearly meaning, no amount of treatment keeps it cool.
    Yep, parking in shade and moving the car when the sun moves so the shade still covers the seats -- covers all 4 seats ? Yeah didnt' think so How many miles do you drive to guarantee a spot in shade or face on to sun ?
    Yeah I dind't think that was realistic.
    As I already said, the '69 Cad is parked in the garage. It's kind of hard for the heat to get to the leather when it's in a garage! Yes, there are times when the sun hits the seats. The way I figure it, it's already lasted almost 40 years. If I have to have them redone someday and they last another 40 years, no big deal. You are talking as if faded and worn seats mean the end of a car! Don't forget, there are also tinted windows, which helps cut the intensity of the sun.

Do you mean the DTI-ECOTEC engine ? It was an Opel design from Germany for the Eureopan market wasn't it ? What about good American -- be hard pressed to find a diesel one

You have obviously never heard of Cummings , Caterpillar , Penske or John Deere have you?

there is also the new twin turbo V8 diesel from Ford .
    Last edited by darkjedi; 02-05-2007 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkjedi
    You have obviously never heard of Cummings , Caterpillar , Penske or John Deere have you?
    This is UltimateCarPage.com, not UltimateTruckPage.com or UltimateTractorPage.com.

there is also the new twin turbo V8 diesel from Ford .
    Name one US Ford with that engine. Wouldn't surprise me if it was basically entirely designed by Ford Euro
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Name one US Ford with that engine. Wouldn't surprise me if it was basically entirely designed by Ford Euro
    ford and PAG have (co-)developed many great diesels and petrols for europe. Its a shame that this rather competitive technology isnt used over there..

EDIT:any relation darkjedi? lightsabres at the ready!...welcome anyway
    autozine.org

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    I prefer the Duratec to the 4.6. Out of curiosity, does anyone else have any experience with either of them?
    Yeah, we have a Duratec 3.0l in our Escape. OK engine, the gearing is what makes it zippy around town though. When you stomp on it, you can really feel a lag before the engine picks up at about 4200rpm, just below its 4400rpm torque peak. In other words, high enough to not really be of much use on the street. Like I said though, around town it has short gearing and it comes across pretty zippy when you're not leaning on it. On the freeway it's pretty tall-geared for a V6, running about 2000rpm at 60mph (ca 97kph). Gas mileage is nothing to write home about though, we're getting 20mpg average where competitors are getting 23+ mpg.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    There's a twin turbo V8 diesel engine used in an american Ford. It's this one.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Hey, there are risks everytime you step into a car!
    So tell me... (in the Matra world), what is safer: 1. Lap belts and shoulder belts or 2. Lap belts only.
    Irrelevant. WHY are you bringing it in to a discussion that the diagonal belt has a risk ? ( Excep the old technique of avoiding the facts )
    "they could save a fortune." That's one reason why plastic is used extensively these days- because it's cheaper than metal. Also to save weight, of course.
    Irrelevant.
    the point was clear that if all palstic was the same as yuou contended then only one woudl need to be made and THAT would save the forutne ( the old technique of NOT reading )
    I had to laugh when I read that. I just enjoyed a nice 80-degree day, gentle warm winds blowing and visibility of 40 miles. How is your weather?
    Irrelevant.
    I dont' need to worry about it ... but YOU do ( the old technique of deflecting things away from your POV )
    As I already said
    ... wait for it ....
    Yes, there are times when the sun hits the seats.
    So agreeing then.
    ( the old technique of quickly brushing over the facts earlier opposed )
    The way I figure it, it's already lasted almost 40 years. If I have to have them redone someday and they last another 40 years, no big deal. You are talking as if faded and worn seats mean the end of a car!
    Irrelevant.
    It was the comfort of the passenger we were talking about.
    ( the old technique of ignoring the second explanations )
    Don't forget, there are also tinted windows, which helps cut the intensity of the sun.
    Irrelevant.
    Not in most 50s and 60s cars.
    ( the old technique of claiming somehting not actually present )

Cheers, Fleet, it was fun being reminded of your close-mindedness, lack of knowledge and lack of comprehension.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Yep and driven some of them too
    And even bigger - my father was manager in GM-Terex ... now THOSE were powerful diesels

..... but we are talking CARS

And I dont' count the massive 2008 Ford "thing" --- guess they'll be losing even MORE money. Hope none of you own Ford shares !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    Yeah, we have a Duratec 3.0l in our Escape. OK engine, the gearing is what makes it zippy around town though. When you stomp on it, you can really feel a lag before the engine picks up at about 4200rpm, just below its 4400rpm torque peak. In other words, high enough to not really be of much use on the street. Like I said though, around town it has short gearing and it comes across pretty zippy when you're not leaning on it. On the freeway it's pretty tall-geared for a V6, running about 2000rpm at 60mph (ca 97kph). Gas mileage is nothing to write home about though, we're getting 20mpg average where competitors are getting 23+ mpg.
    My mom has a fusion, which I drive whenever I can. Its not great, but I normally drive a buick, which sucks. I just find that the V6, and I admit it has a lot less weight to pull, is more energetic than the 4.6 V8. Truth be told, I miss my '87 325, as non of the cars I have access to now compare to it.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Irrelevant. WHY are you bringing it in to a discussion that the diagonal belt has a risk ? ( Excep the old technique of avoiding the facts )

Irrelevant.
    the point was clear that if all palstic was the same as yuou contended then only one woudl need to be made and THAT would save the forutne ( the old technique of NOT reading )

Irrelevant.
    I dont' need to worry about it ... but YOU do ( the old technique of deflecting things away from your POV )
    ... wait for it ....

So agreeing then.
    ( the old technique of quickly brushing over the facts earlier opposed )

Irrelevant.
    It was the comfort of the passenger we were talking about.
    ( the old technique of ignoring the second explanations )

Irrelevant.
    Not in most 50s and 60s cars.
    ( the old technique of claiming somehting not actually present )

Cheers, Fleet, it was fun being reminded of your close-mindedness, lack of knowledge and lack of comprehension.
    Lol. Everything to you is "irrelevant." Why did you even bother replying?
    BTW, I was referring to aftermarket window tinting which can be applied to the car (my limo and Town Car both have it).
    And, you're right... we out here in California have to "worry" about the sun. Like that's a big deal! I say it's a lot better than -20 degree temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    There's a twin turbo V8 diesel engine used in an american Ford. It's this one.
    Oh ok, didn't know about that one. I was referring to the new TT diesel V8 used in PAG cars.
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information