Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Change of tactics

Ah right. Never been in a Vectra, but heaps of the old model Astras, and they were all LH indicators
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Epica looks good from that angle in the link in the 1st post, Silver with the bodykit.

Every other pic...not so good.

I'd still go with a Mondeo.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Ah right. Never been in a Vectra, but heaps of the old model Astras, and they were all LH indicators
    Probably because of the older design.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Really? They never used to. The old model had the left hand indicators.
    I was surprised as well. The indicators are clever, they have two levels - a slight touch for 3 flashes (for lane changes) and a heavier touch for them to stay on. I don't know how many cars have that feature, but it's quite helpful.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    I was surprised as well. The indicators are clever, they have two levels - a slight touch for 3 flashes (for lane changes) and a heavier touch for them to stay on. I don't know how many cars have that feature, but it's quite helpful.
    Both the AH Astra and the ZC Vectra copped a lot of flack in reviews for that.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Id hit the mondeo. Just looks so much nicer.

I'd expect the epica to be in the mid 20's to low 30's if they want to be in the game. mondeo should be low-mid 30s.
    The Datto will rage again...

Well Camry is $28K to $39K, Sonata is $26K to $35K (or $31K for the top spec 4 cyl).

Mazda6 is $33K to $43K (no V6 option either) and Accord Euro is $34 to $43K (no V6 option either, but there is the other Accord line).

Epica should be a bit cheaper than the Camry, maybe even cheaper than Sonata if its going to really succeed. Mondeo however, will probably end up being more expensive than both the Accord Euro and Mazda6 by credit of the V6 option.
    I am the Stig

I'm used to LHD indicators simply because every car i've driven has them.

the Epica looks like ass. basically. Holden do such a wonderful job of styling the VE and then nothing else in their line up matches it because it comes from O/S.

it's going to do pretty well i'd imagine - provided it can overcome the Korean stigma. the Sonata seems to do a pretty good job of that so hopefully it's at least on par with that car.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Mondeo however, will probably end up being more expensive than both the Accord Euro and Mazda6 by credit of the V6 option.
    Assuming Ford provides the V6 option in the local Mondeo lineup. I've heard talk of standard 4-cylinder (2.0 or 2.3 litre I assume), a turbo-diesel option and a 5-cylinder 20v Turbo (same engine as the Focus XR5), but haven't heard anything about a V6.
    Wouldn't a V6 option put it too close to the Falcon for comfort?
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

The XR5 engine would basically negate the V6 option, at arount 300nm/160kw its very similar figures, but delivered differently by virtue of the straight layout and one less cylinder.

I'd imagine simply by Ford chasing the Mondeo theyve put its threat to the Falcon to the wind. Sure, the first few years may see 4 cylinder only vehicles to tie Falcon over till 2008 (which again, needs to survive till 2010 untill it can have the burden taken by heavy exports)
    I am the Stig

Isn't the falcon getting a bit smaller with Orion anyway? the Mondeo would only cannibalise sales from within the Ford group - people would most likely see it or the Mazda 6 as possible purchases.

as cool as the car looks and indeed is, it's not likely, if only due to simple economics, shouldn't happen.

If people want a 4 Cylinder premium sedan or hatch, send 'em Mazda's way. or better yet, come up with another Telstar style arrangement . it'd be cheaper for both parties

The thing is, the current Mondeo/6 IS a Telstar arrangement. Theyre not made alongside each other, and not really a simple rebadge either, but theyre on the same platform.

And yes, Falcon should be smaller for 2008, but you'll probably be hard pressed to notice. Wheelbase will be the same, but overall length and overhangs are apparently shorter.
    I am the Stig

The platform may be the same but the costing and vehicle placement will be the key feature - as it stands the 6 does not directly compete with Falcon on sales - a Mondeo could very well.

Seeing as though the Falcon might be moving slightly upmarket regardless, we'll see how long this talk lasts.

At the end of the day though, even if they lose 1 Falcon sale to every 2 Mondeo's sold, and even again if its even 1 Mazda6 sale lost to every Mondeo sold, thats more profit to Ford.
    I am the Stig

more profit to Ford Mo Co Worldwide - it does nothing for local manufacturing.

This will indeed be of primary concern to Ford AU - who no doubt are keen to sure up the secure future of Broadmeadows as a manufacturing, design and R&D element of Ford Global.

Thread Information