Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explosion warning for LPG

Explosion warning for LPG

http://drive.com.au/Editorial/Articl...rticleId=23548

LPG motorists given explosion warning
    AAP, 02/02/07

Motorists whose cars are powered by LPG are being warned to check their gas tanks amid fears a faulty valve could spark an explosion.

Motorists whose cars are powered by LPG are being warned to check their gas tanks amid fears a faulty valve could spark an explosion.

The Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce (VACC) issued the warning on Friday following ten LPG tank ruptures nationally.

Cars affected are those with Manchester brand LPG autogas cylinders fitted between August 2003 and March 2005, or older cylinders of any brand re-tested between November 2002 and August 2005.

It is unknown how many cars are affected.

VACC executive director David Purchase said tanks at risk carried a SIDEK brand valve with the encryption: SIDEK PRX, AGA 6394, 2.55 MPa on top.

"Essentially, this is a serious fault with the potential for serious injury and property damage," Mr Purchase said.

Those affected should have their tank checked by a registered LPG installer as soon as possible.

The VACC urges motorists at risk not to fill their tanks above three-quarters until they have been checked.
    This'll surely ignite some of the debate over alternative fuels. People have been using explosions to discredit LPG for ages.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    This'll surely ignite some of the debate over alternative fuels. People have been using explosions to discredit LPG for ages.
    Are you sure you weren't trying to use a pun?

Like hybrids and ethanol blends, I think that LPG is just a stop-gap until we have some revolutionary technology on our hands that can be mass-produced -and relatively cheaply. I suppose its just a matter of time until Fuel Cells become comercially viable.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

That was purely coincidental

I'd agree that we'll need something like fuel cell or IC hydrogen engines to make that big step forward, but with the right infrastructure, the oil reserves could dry up and alcohol fuels would be enough. Ethanol and Methanol for instance, setup right could deliver more power than petrol, albeit at the cost of fuel consumption. Theres also that issue of corroding the fuel lines
    I am the Stig

Been the biggest ante gas guy on UCP.. Because of things like this i have always feared LPG cars and i would never think about owing one.
    This is from way back, We almost bought a VH SLE many many years back, This car was involved in a accident in the rear, The impact just missed the LPG tank, We were told it just needed too hit it and knock some hoses off etc or pearce the tank which isn't bloody easy for sure but it can happen it would have went up.. I have seen LPG cars on fire and people run from them because they do blow up, It's been on the news many times before with footage.
    Yes i might sound chicken because i am of these cars. My luck the ***t would blow up on me

LPG though is perfectly safe with all the right equipment. Workshop forklifts for instance are stuck running LPG considering the emissions arent as harmful, yet theyve also got to deal with expected accidents in a factory.

Hydrogen's going to be worse.
    I am the Stig

The hydrogen bomb

lpg cago ships are painted bright green so you know not to run into them... not that ships should ever run into eachother. but it would be messy to run into one of them
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

You know what they say, That much gas at the rear can lead to one big explosion.

I'd agree that we'll need something like fuel cell or IC hydrogen engines to make that big step forward, but with the right infrastructure, the oil reserves could dry up and alcohol fuels would be enough. Ethanol and Methanol for instance, setup right could deliver more power than petrol, albeit at the cost of fuel consumption.
    Negative there ghost rider. Ever been near a car running on methanol? Not fun. But yeah, engines set up for them get plenty of power, but economy goes to hell.

Theres also that issue of corroding the fuel lines
    Holden's ready for that, with the Commo's they send to Brasil set-up for high-ethanol fuel with corrosion-resistant fuel lines/pumps etc.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Well methanol certainly seems to be restricted to racing and the most hipo of street applications, definately makes sense.
    I am the Stig

Yeah, it makes your eyes water bad and burns up in your sinuses. Not nice. Plus there's the whole invisible fire issue as well.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Watch out for someone running around on the street like there on fire.

One of the less publicised negatives to ethanol is its greatly increased impact to contaminate our groundwater and soil. In particular the risk posed to our complex and often massive network of aquifers, which are becoming of increasing importance to what is already the driest inhabited continent - is it prudent for us to risk these irreplacable national assets for what boils down to a short-term political gain within a few conservatively-held marginal electorates in Queensland?

http://www.unsw.edu.au/news/pad/arti...p/Ethanol.html

A while ago in a much more extensive (radio) interview this ^ scientist articulated the disturbing scientific concerns for contamination by ethanol of artesian water resources & soil, and its potential ramifications

Boo LPG. It stinks and takes forever to fill up and doesnt come off your hands if it gets on em and... peeew.

Its 75cents for LPG at some places now and fuels under 1.10... ill take fuel please.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    Its 75cents for LPG at some places now and fuels under 1.10... ill take fuel please.
    Petrol prices go up and down like a yoyo. Currently its on a down-cycle with regular 91 unleaded being sold for $1.07 p/l (after voucher discount) at my local discount servo yesterday, while higher-octane LPG is less than half that @ only $0.49 cents with stable prices for months

(ie LPG fuel costs for our old Falcon 6cyl auto in 100% city driving average around 8 cents p/km .. or about 5 euro cents)

Thread Information