Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TMR 380 on idle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    MOTOR said it wasn't too bad. The only problem's they had with the car were a lack of steering self-centering and something else about that presently escapes me, but not too bad for the power, and a couple of things that are related to the fact that they were driving the show car (it was way too low, wheels wrong offset)
    Well its not just the engineering side. Like what MSN was saying today, they could engineer it to handle whatever they want to give it, but the majority of people wont believe its possible, and will fall back on stereotypes.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Burns
    A 380 VRX is a great package - pretty darn close to an XR6 or SV6 as a whole - just a bit of visual aggro is all it needs, and they'd be everywhere in the same way the XR6 is.

It makes more sense to spend a little on a bodykit, and see it translate into higher sales than to go onto an expensive, hardcore sports variant that wont get them anywhere financially. Look at Ford's range - they sell a helluva lot more atmo XR6's than XR6T's and XR8's.

There's no point doing a $50K XR6T rival unless their volume sellers are actually selling.
    They got the front done pretty good, But maybe a large wing on the rear could help? So it doesn't look like a 380 base from behind.

Id love to give it a hit, ive seen seriously hot 380s (black and blue ftw) dropped 2" with some nice jap style 19's and theyre HOT.

But if they sell for more then 50k goodbye mitsu
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    I cant see it getting off easy putting that much power to the front wheels. The Aurion's been lambasted, and its only got 200kw.
    The Aurion hasn't exactly been lambasted by the reviewers. All the reviews go to pains to point out there's no torque steer for example.
    Its just that none of the reviewers have got excited by the Aurion's dynamic capability. Also, must be remembered that the VE moved the dynamic benchmark upwards, meaning that anything that was released after the VE that would normally have been praised suddenly failed to impress.
    Wheel's only concerns about the Aurion were steering feedback and on limit understeer (on racetracks). Hardly a lambasting.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

What i meant though was everybody's criticised the Aurion simply for being that powerful and FWD, without driving one or reading someone elses opinion. Those that have, have been impressed.
    I am the Stig

That's maybe why Stability control is always on to make sure it's keeped at a min.
    But i read somewhere they have spoke about turning it off

The Aurion's VDC has also been heavily criticised. It doesn't fit Australian conditions, and doesn't even provide the stability its supposed to.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

I'll have to take one down our local test track haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx
    The Aurion's VDC has also been heavily criticised. It doesn't fit Australian conditions, and doesn't even provide the stability its supposed to.
    True, the VDC has been criticised. But one wonders just how fast you have to be going to get it to actually engage. I never got the VDC on the Aurion to engage on tarmac roads - despite some reasonably high cornering speeds.
    But I don't think its tarmac thats the issue - rather dirt/unsealed roads and hence the "doesn't fit Australian conditions" comment. But for those of us who are city dwellers, that's hardly a concern. And since we're talking about a programmable electronic system, nothing that can't be solved without some software upgrades. Don't be surprised if Toyota quietly issues instructions for some software upgrades to be undertaken during routine servicing now that Wheels magazine has highlighted the problem the Aurion's VDC has especially on dirt.
    I assume the TMR 380 will have VDC or ESP or whatever they chose to call to call it. And I won't be surprised if you can't switch it off.
    I'm not actually convinced that ESP/traction control systems should be able to be switched off for every day driving anyway. They're meant to be a safety device. Imagine you own a Commodore SV6, fitted of course with the switchable ESP system. You also have an 18-year son who is allowed to drive the car under most Australian state's P-Plate rules (that's why I didn't chose the SS-V for this). Would you want your inexperienced 18-year son to turn the ESP system off so he can demonstrate his lack of skills to his mates? I wouldn't be keen on it.
    I'd actually suggest that manufacturers should supply cars with non-switchable ESP systems. If an owner plans to use their car for track days or rally events, then an owner can contact the manufacturer and ask for the code to switch it off on track days. Of course, such an idea would be open to abuse. But, since it would only be a small percentage of all car owners who would want to switch the ESP system off, I think Toyota's system of making non-switchable VDC standard is more sensible.
    Imagine the headlines that will be generated when said son in the above scenario proves his lack of skills, switches the ESP off and then goes sideways into a lamp post killing his mate. And it comes out that the ESP was switched off - the one thing that might have stopped the driver's lack of skills from being lethal. It will only take two minutes of media outcry after that before all manufacturers make ESP systems non-switchable.
    It would be better if manufacturers came up with some way now to keep the genuine enthusiasts who intend to use their cars for track days happy while make sure that junior can't flick a switch and become even more lethal on the road than he otherwise would be.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 02-05-2007 at 05:26 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Where is the ESP defeat button generally located? Is it in the glovebox, or does it freth (fall readily to hand)

MSN originally posted
    True, the VDC has been criticised. But one wonders just how fast you have to be going to get it to actually engage. I never got the VDC on the Aurion to engage on tarmac roads - despite some reasonably high cornering speeds.
    Exactly right, the VDC on the Aurion is meant to be set quite low, yet you couldnt get it to intervene with some very spirited driving in the Adelaide Hills.

As Ive said before if these people think that they will be limited by the VCD on public roads they are kidding themselves. The only place VCD-stability controls can be used are in a controlled enviroment. If people think otherwise they are complete fools.

MSN theres a cheap Sierra on ebay at the moment with no reserve
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SIERRA-COSWOR...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by charged; 02-05-2007 at 05:50 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Usually theyre on the dash, around the HVAC and audio controls.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Where is the ESP defeat button generally located? Is it in the glovebox, or does it freth (fall readily to hand)

On the Commodore VE is is down next to the transmission lever, IIRC. Very clearly marked and easy to turn off.
    We left it on most of the time we had the car, some short experimentation aside. And I'd imagine that's what most owners would do.

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    Exactly right, the VDC on the Aurion is meant to be set quite low, yet you couldnt get it to intervene with some very spirited driving in the Adelaide Hills.

As Ive said before if these people think that they will be limited by the VCD on public roads they are kidding themselves. The only place VCD-stability controls can be used are in a controlled enviroment. If people think otherwise they are complete fools.

MSN theres a cheap Sierra on ebay at the moment with no reserve
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SIERRA-COSWOR...QQcmdZViewItem

Nice find on the Sierra. Pity I can't afford it.
    Not that it makes any difference, but I was driving the Commodore VE in the Adelaide Hills and the Aurion in the Yarra Valley near Melbourne.
    I agree completely about the only place where it matters whether VDC/ESP systems are switchable is in a controlled environment. The only question is how to provide the option for those people who use their cars in such environments (ie: track days) to be able to turn off the systems and for it to be non-switchable the rest of the time.

bluntly no amount of electronic wizardry will prevent said 18 year old from being a hoon. it just means that instead of learning the adhesion and grip limits, and indeed pulling some tricks for his mates, we'll create people overly reliant on the car to save their ass when trouble comes.

don't these systems go into backup mode anyway when you turn them off - that is unless you hold it for the right amount of time and do a little jig they're just in the background?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information