Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TMR 380 on idle

Slickholden originally posted
    With driver training it's about time it was cheaper. I know of a guy that went to one he had a massive ball doing it, Used his own car but it cost something like $200 i think. To much.
    I think $200 is a bargain if it saves your life,but the government should include driver training compared to the cost to rehabilitate a car accident victim,the driver training cost is minuscule

If the Government payed for 5 sessions@ $200, they would still be way ahead.

Heres some figures for cost per accident from a NSW government study
    Medium : Urban Amenity / Transport
    Bureau of Transport and Communications Economics (1994)
    Country Australia Location Victoria
    Measured
    Unit person costs for road accident casualties for different casualty classes Unit incident costs for reported and unreported accidents in Melbourne and the Rest of Victoria Total annual cost of Victorian road accidents
    Units
    ($A1992) $ per person per accident for each casualty class $ per accident $ for 1988 year
    Method
    Benefit Transfer
    Key Results

Values Year Value Australian$ 2002
    Cost per person killed 1992 631,171.00 A$810,232.35
    Cost per person admitted to hospital 1992 108,315.00 A$139,043.65
    Cost per person medically treated 1992 7,071.00 A$9,077.02
    Cost per person injured, not treated 1992 825.00 A$1,059.05
    Cost per person not injured 1992 309.00 A$396.66
    Unit cost - reported accidents - Melbourne 1992 14,247.00 A$18,288.83
    Unit cost - reported accidents - Rest of Victoria 1992 12,801.00 A$16,432.61Unit cost - unreported accidents - Melbourne 1992 7,476.00 A$9,596.92
    Unit cost - unreported accidents - Rest of Victoria 1992 6,120.00 A$7,856.23
    Total annual cost of Victorian road accidents 1992 3,634,000,000.00 A$4,664,955,070.60
    Last edited by charged; 02-06-2007 at 12:58 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

I struggle now too have $200 in my pocket to spare, Back when i was 18 i had even less then now.
    I save or finance anything i have. If the Governments paid for driving training i would go i'd even pay half it would be a great learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Who did the test saying ESP wasn't as good on dirt roads?
    I'll say that's wrong and come with me onto my test track We be doing sprint car racing with grandmothers and they wouldn't know it wasn't them doing it.

Government rebate half. By law you need to attend 4 of these in your first 4 years of driving, Then 2 before your 26. What do you think?
    Not talking about the Commodore - Wheels says the ESP system in that is close to perfect - even on the dirt.
    We're talking about the Aurion (Wheels in their COTY issue mention "the Aurion's inability to arrest slides on slipperty surfaces (ie: dirt) and also the Volvos that Nota mentioned earlier.

As for the driver training - you might be onto something there. I've done defensive driving courses, but really should get around to adding some advanced courses.

My suggestion is this - driver training should be increased and there should be a component on car control conducted in a controlled environment. To some extent this gets around the problem of many newer cars on the roads today being fitted with electronic nanny systems. On a controlled track environment - especially with access to a skid pan - anyone could learn car control skills regardless of what electronic systems are fitted to the car.

Second - ESP and ABS systems should be mandatory on all new cars within the next five years. I personally think manufacturers should be encouraged to make the systems non-switchable.

Third - enthusiasts and those using their cars for track days or on dirt roads regularly should be able to apply to the manufacturer for the code to switch the ESP system off. Something like this could work - the owner rings the manufacturer switchboard, confirms via password they own the car and that they want the ESP system switched off. Code then sent via the on-board modem that many cars will be equiped with and the ESP system switches off for an agreed period of time (say 2 hours).

Fourth - for those who really hate the idea of ESP system or still feel that its better to hone their car control skills without electronic help, there will remain a plentyful supply of older cars without such systems. Such older cars will be a relatively small part of the overall fleet, so the aims of ESP improving safety will still be felt.

Fifth - of course some people won't be able to afford newer cars. If the government was really serious about bringing down the road toll, not only would ESP/ABS become mandatory on new cars, not only would there be increased driver training, but there would be a subsidy provided to lower income earners/new drivers to help them into as modern and safe a car as possible. Such ideas have been floated in the past, but it may be time to explore them.

And apologies for taking this thread way off topic....but the whole issue of electronic aids and driver training are interesting topics.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 02-06-2007 at 05:11 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd

Third - in enthusiasts and those using their cars for track days or on dirt roads regularly should be able to apply to the manufacturer for the code to switch the ESP system off. Something like this could work - the owner rings the manufacturer switchboard, confirms via password they own the car and that they want the ESP system switched off. Code then sent via the on-board modem that many cars will be equiped with and the ESP system switches off for an agreed period of time (say 2 hours).
    Perhaps a remote control system would also suffice, where said owner of a performance car or 4x4 could switch the TC, ESP and ABS off on their own accord, but also protect anyone inexperienced from jumping into the car and enabling a switch to do the same.
    I am the Stig

I bought a TMR380 about 6 months ago.

In case anyone was wondering about the car it does 0-100 in about 5.4 and 0-400m in about 13.8.

that is with traction control on, which is the default.

Very nice car to drive....delightful whine from the Supercharger.

Brakes are extremely effective, cornering..it sticks is like baby poop on a wet picnic blanket..
    Last edited by zed80; 12-20-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zed80 View Post
    I bought a TMR380 about 6 months ago.

In case anyone was wondering about the car it does 0-100 in about 5.4 and 0-400m in about 13.8.

that is with traction control on, which is the default.

Very nice car to drive....delightful whine from the Supercharger.

Brakes are extremely effective, cornering..it sticks is like baby poop on a wet picnic blanket..
    zed80, thank you for the feedback about the TMR380. This is the first owner review I've read about a TMR380.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

How did you time your acceleration times?
    I am the Stig

How do you know how baby poop sticks to a wet picnic blanket?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Haven't you ever had it stuck or your hand and went shit get rid of that fast.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

they actually built one?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

They built, or rather converted, 20 already sold VRX models as a send of when the 380 was cancelled.
    I am the Stig

nah...The bodies were purchased in December last year.

I own a series 3 VRx and series 3 GT as well so can easily see the build numbers are way apart. (brother is ex factory engineer, so got some great deals in the end)

They are actually VIN plated as "TMR380" with a secondary manufacture compliance plate....so not a VRX rebadged.

Built with custom seats, body kit, Koni suspension, 19 in ROH wheels,sunroof etc.

Mine is serial number #3.

Remember this is a street legal machine that you can drive most days in comfort.

She's very low to the ground so one has to be careful with gutters and stuff.

The times I quoted are from reviews last year.

My brother just checked it with a stop watch..so it's 5.xx something. and 14 thereabouts....so not exact I guess...but seems to fall in line with what others report.

Will see if I can dig up some pics..they are all red.

I can't find my old pics, but have posted them all in another forum, hope it isn't against the rules to post links.

http://www.austech.info/automotive-t...nly-red-2.html

post 49 has the pics.

These guys are suggesting otherwise about the VRX roots: http://www.caradvice.com.au/13240/mi...ed-production/

Its not out of the question for Mitsubishi to supply brand new chassis numbers. Somebody in America is converting 40yo Mustangs into GT-500's with genuine Shelby plates afterall.
    I am the Stig

Don't want to disagree with you too much...

But I'd be careful about the caradvice articles....they mix alot of the old and the new info to fill a page...

I can assure you that when I look behind me the TMR380 product I look at is absolutely nothing like the car in the article...especially cosmetically.

In fact all the reviews on the net are way off the final product.

The wheels are different, the supercharger is a much later one. The internal fitout is completely different, the brake calipers are changed. Exhaust and inlet snorkel has changed.....and it's a series 3, not a series 2...the torsion bar has thickened..

They used the basic body shell. There is nothing from a VRX in the package.

(If there was it's not on the car when delivered, not even the bluetooth)

There is no Fujitsu AVN6000 sound package or Recaro seats etc....

If anything the TMR380 are a base model ES fitout....

Thread Information