Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Win95 stuff on XP or Vista?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.

Running Win95 stuff on XP or Vista?

How the heck do you get Win95 products to run on XP or Vista? I realize Microsoft is probably in collusion with the rest of the industry trying to make you buy new versions of the same software when you upgrade (or so it seems, I can't imagine Microsoft being that generous to other companies), but in any case it's ludicrous (and frustrating!) that previous stuff doesn't work.

Most of my favourite games are Win95, and neither XP nor Vista runs them. However, I did notice that if it's MICROSOFT brand software for Win95, it will run, so I know there has to be some sort of way to be able to play my favs like SimCity 2000, Command and Conquer (and Red Alert), Interstates 76 and 82, and the like. Any ideas?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Have you tried to run them in Windows 95 compatibility mode? I don't know about Vista but it's often helped me in XP.

Compatibility mode generally works. It is possible however that some older games doesn't work. I've been frustrated too.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Yes! I've been wondering how to do this for a long time, I've been craving some old school Red Alert since I got to college. I guess I'll have to dig up my Interstate '76 cds too...wow, that takes me back. Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks JCP for bringing this up.
    Signature? We don't need no steenking signature

What's compatibility mode + how do you enter this mode? Never heard of it before, but it sounds like it's worth a try...

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    What's compatibility mode + how do you enter this mode? Never heard of it before, but it sounds like it's worth a try...
    Right click on the .exe file, open properties. Then select 'compatibility mode' and select the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:'.

On XP, you right click on the program, go to properties, then go to the compatability tab, and its all pretty straight forward from there.

Ahh beat me to it

Like the others said. Compatability mode should do it.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

The problem stems from Windows 95/98/ME still running over the top of DOS, whereas 2000/XP/Vista have done away with that. A lot of games were still somewhat DOS based, so without that layer in the current Windows platforms, they can't run.

I had a similar problem with several games, compatability mode helped, but 99% of the time there was a patch you could download from the internet that sorted out your problems.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Suka
    I had a similar problem with several games, compatability mode helped, but 99% of the time there was a patch you could download from the internet that sorted out your problems.
    Except for the best game of all times, tNFS 1 I tried to get it working on XP, but it wouldnt work. Using a dos-emulator it works perfectly fine on Linux. To be honest that is pretty embarrasing for MS... The free competitor does run their old programmes

Drakkie, does that make it run in DOS mode or nicer looking WIN95 mode? I always wanted to get TNFS:SE working on XP somehow... and I'll need a Linux virtual machine running soon...

I had a game a while ago, it was about a guy that was an angel or something, can't remember the name, think it began with R, but that refused to work on any version of directx that wasn't v.5 I think. Which was irritating. I seem to remember having a similar problem with Outcast, too. Damn bastards.

Ugh...I tried out XP's compatibility mode, not really working out. Vista has no such thing, and won't play MP3's to boot . I could probably get another compy to play this stuff on, but don't see why I should have to - all those whiz kids who write code could figure out how to make this stuff work if they had really wanted/been allowed to.

Between "compatibility" stuff like this and having grown up in the roller coaster that is Silicon Valley, I can't believe people still wonder why I'm so jaded and keep computers + all that techno-garbage at arm's length. [/rant]

I'll probably either see if I can get Geek Squad or something to get our old one working again and then, since it has two hard drives, install Windows 3.1 (still my favorite Windows) on one drive and Win95 (my close second fav) on the other drive and play my stuff on that one, only using the Vista machine for school stuff.

Thread Information