Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best brand of laptop to look for?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    All I can say is, anything but HP. We've never had any of their computers, but that's because their printers are so bad that we don't even want to know what their computers are like...

We have always had IBM's. They're slow to start up because of all the extras IBM put on there, but are strong and run well, and are reliable. There's a reason these are favorites with companies worldwide (although I understand that this was sold to some Chinese company, so the recent ones are probably POS's too.)

I also can say that Dell laptops from ca. 2000-2004 aren't a terribly good choice. In my Dad's time as a quality control director for IBM's (and later Hitatchi's) Hard Drive division, he was getting an alarming hard drive failure rate in the Dells. The reason? Dell placed the hard drive right under the spot where most people rest their wrists. Some put a lot of pressure there, and POOF! there went the drives.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by palmedrengen
    I have an 12" Apple PowerBook G4 - and it has served me well and still does, I wouldn't dream of buying a PC after trying a mac - and best of all - you never have to be bothered by windows again. but you won't get much mac for 350, even a used one...
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/A...n-86578947.htm This is only 50 dollars NZ over my price range, and would suit my needs fine...prices cheaper in NZ perhaps?

Thanks for the advice guys BTW. I'm thinking IBM Think-pad so far if I don't buy an apple. IBM products look solid enough and specs look ok too.

Oh, one more important thing to add to this thread..

90% of the time, it's not the computer, it's the user.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

looks like i'm getting an apple, mums given me some money to get one sooooo

i'll just buy one?

I like Apple's products, and I don't suck at computers. On the Windows side of things, Dells seem to be pretty good.

Apple, though, would be my choice.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    looks like i'm getting an apple, mums given me some money to get one sooooo

i'll just buy one?
    Go for it Spaz, you won't regret it. I still have my trusty 6 year old iMac, I can't seem to part with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    All I can say is, anything but HP. We've never had any of their computers, but that's because their printers are so bad that we don't even want to know what their computers are like....
    My experience with HP has been totaly different. I have a m7540la desktop at home and a dv2000 at the office and haven't had a single problem with them since I got them.

As far as the printers go, I have two HP PSC All in one printers that have also worked flawlessly. To bad you've had bad luck with HP.
    Last edited by taz_rocks_miami; 02-04-2007 at 12:13 AM.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=86822478 Just bought this little beauty

Bit out of my price range but oh well.

HP - Huh? Print?!

My HP printer has served me pretty well...the catridges are expensive but thats to be expected with printers I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    My HP printer has served me pretty well...the catridges are expensive but thats to be expected with printers I guess.
    Lulz, I have the same printer. I like it, it matches my PC and does a good job.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I've never had any problems with HP printers either, having used one older (Deskejet 720C) and one newer (some photo inkjet). Also the one HP laptop I've used is a rather sturdy machine. It's not an IBM but good anyway. With an older HP scanner I had some driver issues a while ago but for those I blame Windows XP.

I have a Vaio. bought it 2003. Still going strong. 2.8ghz P4 and I upgraded to 1GB of RAM. I took it on two overseas deployments with not problems. I've also spilled an entire glass of water onto the keyboard while it was running. On accident of course. That was over a year ago. It's still running great. The DVD rom drive is having some issues though. But, I've never had any other problems with it.

In order from crap hardware to quality hardware and good build quality*

all the rest<Toshiba<IBM<Apple

Do NOT underestimate build quality. It's an important feature since you'll be lugging that machine around. Nothing as annoying as a flimsy plastic laptop that weighs a ton.

The best you can get is a ThinkPad, they've always been the best. Even better than Apples when it comes to build quality but than again, they don't run the MacOS so that's were they lose points.

I own a ThinkPad X23 as my secondary computer (primary being a Mac) it's great, is weighs very light and great build quality. Has never let me down.

Thread Information