View Poll Results: Are you in ?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, great idea !

23 63.89%
  • I dont know yet, post some more info...

10 27.78%
  • No, im not interested.

3 8.33%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP Supercar II

The suspension i can probably come up with some designs, i guess of the layout of the springs, shocks and arms, like how theyre all located.

As for the chassis, im really at the whim of those designing the car.
    I am the Stig

I've been working on some designs, a swoopy GT or a low-slung supercar.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Fpv, you wanna give me some general scetches of the shocks, springs (coils), and dampeners so I can get started on a 3d model? Also, what layout is the rear axle? Is the car AWD, or RWD?

Technically wise, I am not that experienced. Mainly with light cars with small displacement.
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 02-08-2007 at 10:22 AM.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Ive got to devote some time to it first Ive really only got MS Paint to work with, but i'll probably do some freehand drawings and then see where i go from there.

Also, do we want to go for inboard mounted springs/shocks?
    I am the Stig

OK well heres my first basic diagram for the suspension. 4 different layouts there, with colour coding to make it easier to identify different parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Stig

Suspension is a tricky subject. Your probably looking for unequal length armed anti-squat double wishbones.
    autozine.org

Yes you want to go for something like the last picture. Unequal length wishbones is a classic. I hope that some of your main concerns are keeping unsprung mass at a minimum, and of course proper location of the wheel during cornering, braking, and accelerating.

I vote for inboard coil over shocks. It frees up some room in the wheel well and can allow for lower unsprung mass. Also I would think that having the shocks mounted in a more secure location away from the road would allow them to work more efficiently and keep them cleaner. Of course you don't want to take up too much room in the car though....
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    Yes you want to go for something like the last picture. Unequal length wishbones is a classic. I hope that some of your main concerns are keeping unsprung mass at a minimum, and of course proper location of the wheel during cornering, braking, and accelerating.

I vote for inboard coil over shocks. It frees up some room in the wheel well and can allow for lower unsprung mass. Also I would think that having the shocks mounted in a more secure location away from the road would allow them to work more efficiently and keep them cleaner. Of course you don't want to take up too much room in the car though....
    We will need not only interior space, but also a boot.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    We will need not only interior space, but also a boot.
    thats where the challenge lies...
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    thats where the challenge lies...
    Outboard Protech "Disc Spring" FTW!
    Protech do a range of turned ally shocks with their "Disc Spring" springs over them. Apparently they don't lose height like a coil spring. Being aluminium they keep unspung weight down to a minimum, and mounted outboard, interior space to a maximum.

Just an idea.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Any development on global design? Can i do a couple of 3d sketchs?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    Suspension is a tricky subject. Your probably looking for unequal length armed anti-squat double wishbones.
    I'll try come up with some different angles, and advance some of those previous sketches somewhat.

I'm still stuck whether to go for multi links or wishbones, but i'll probably have both longitudinal and lateral links for the rear suspension.
    I am the Stig

Heres an attempt at a 3 sided view for the suspension. As it stands, its become a 5 link setup. Still to integrate anti roll bars etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Stig

fpv, don't make the arms parallel in the horixontal plane.
    You will get twist.
    Make it trapezoidal/triangular.
    Or go multilink .... how much interior/boot space is agreed ? Try to get as much as possible to broaden the suspension angles as much as possible
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    fpv, don't make the arms parallel in the horixontal plane.
    You will get twist.
    Make it trapezoidal/triangular.
    Or go multilink .... how much interior/boot space is agreed ? Try to get as much as possible to broaden the suspension angles as much as possible
    Thanks. I'll keep working at it, trying to make it not look so "basic", but i think its going to take CAD until it starts looking professional.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information