Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corolla outsells Commodore Jan. 07

Corolla outsells Commodore Jan. 07

Sales of small cars continue to boom

Quote Originally Posted by Drive
    A continued boom in small car sales has helped Australia's motor industry notch record sales in January.

A continued boom in small car sales has helped Australia's motor industry notch record sales in January.

Some 76,936 new cars, trucks and buses were sold last month - the best ever January result and a 9.9 per cent increase on vehicles sold in January last year.

But the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries doesn't expect the sales rise to continue throughout the entire year.

Chamber chief executive Peter Sturrock said a 10 per cent rise over the year would result in annual motor sales topping one million for the first time.

But he said the chamber was forecasting annual sales of 970,000 this year.

A total of 962,666 vehicles were sold in Australia last year - a 2.5 per cent fall on the 2005 all-time record of 988,269.

Mr Sturrock said last month's result was underpinned by a 26.3 per cent increase in small car sales from last January.

"This is a long-term trend beyond petrol price volatility," he said.

"(It's) part of a fundamental shift in consumer preferences that has been gathering momentum for a couple of years."

In line with the trend, Toyota's Corolla was Australia's most popular vehicle in January with 3485 sales, pipping Holden's Commodore with 3474 sales.

The chamber also noted strong performances in the family vehicle sectors of four wheel drive (SUV) medium and large cars.

Mr Sturrock said medium SUV sales rose 17 per cent while large car sales levelled out after last year's decline - down 0.9 per cent.

"The reduction in petrol prices in December and January played a part in better sales of family sedans and wagons, but equally significant was new model activity in both segments," he said.

He said the January figures were consistent with bullish consumer sentiment evident in record Christmas and post-Christmas retail sales.

Toyota was the bestselling brand in January with 16,238 sales, ahead of Holden (11,258) and Ford (7501).

The top 10 market leaders in motor vehicle sales in January 2007:

Toyota - 16,238 sales

Holden - 11,258

Ford - 7501

Mazda - 6627

Honda - 5435

Nissan - 5085

Mitsubishi - 4554

Subaru - 3097

Hyundai - 3067

Volkswagen - 2034
    So much for the billion dollar baby I still don't see why the hell you would buy a Corolla anyway. What is it about them that is so appealing? The bland looks and cheap interior? I wonder how much they will sell when the new model comes soon...
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Fleet Sales mean Corolla will always be a top seller. couple this to it's relatively low price and no-brain appeal to most people (i want a reliable car......Corolla it is!)
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Well you wouldn’t expect them to actually be rivals. A small $20,000 car against a large $35,000 car. All it probably shows is the hangover from the world’s shortest fuel crisis. Corollas may be boring and bland but the type who buys them is the type looking for functionality, economy and reliability. Pretty decent value and a car that will last for ever with little problem.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

That's just a slow start to 07, Everyone was off work and they are just getting over paying out $1000's from Xmas and the last thing they are going to think about is buying a car right now.
    But fleet on the other hand are looking to update with cheap 06 bargains

Wow, a whole 11 unit sales lead.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Toyota's definately on a steamroller at the moment. Toyota's still outselling Holden when you discount their top seller, but likewise Holden is still ahead of Ford when you discount the Commodore.
    I am the Stig

FWIW I see Hills Ford in Sydney is advertising a swathe of supposedly 'demonstrator' (ie under 50km) 2006 plate BF LPG Falcons for under $28k driveaway

Sounds like a quick way to clear stock. I wouldve thought demonstrators would end up with more than two digits on the odometer.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Sounds like a quick way to clear stock. I wouldve thought demonstrators would end up with more than two digits on the odometer.
    So-called 'demonstrator' sales like these are a quick method of clearing stock for way under MRRP. I seriously doubt if any of them were previously registered

The other advantage of selling a 'demonstrator' is that it could be classed as a promotional product and the "loss" incurred would be a tax deduction
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

The Corolla represents a cheap car that a person that wants a new car can trust. It's cheap, easy to maintain, gets good gas mileage, and is a decent car overall if you just need to get places. Besides, it's always been a pretty good seller. I'm not surprised it outsold some competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels
    In its November first full month on sale, dealers moved 1543 Aurions. December sales fell marginally to 1498.

Aurion’s 1125 sales last month placed it third behind Commodore (3474) and Falcon (1973), and only 84 sales ahead of Mitsubishi’s 380.
    Will sales of the Aurion improve?
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

I think sales of Aurion are about on target then (they wanted about 15,000 for the year). But more interestingly, if sales in January for the Aurion were only 84 ahead of the 380, then the 380, finally, is starting to sell much better.
    1,000 sales a month would represent 12,000 a year and that wouldn't be a bad result for the 380 if it maintained that sort of momentum.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Which month do the fleets usually cash up?
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    I think sales of Aurion are about on target then (they wanted about 15,000 for the year). But more interestingly, if sales in January for the Aurion were only 84 ahead of the 380, then the 380, finally, is starting to sell much better.
    1,000 sales a month would represent 12,000 a year and that wouldn't be a bad result for the 380 if it maintained that sort of momentum.
    People maybe just can't tell the difference and are silly enough to buy the Camry when the Aurion is better even if more expensive.

I was starting to believe people had problems with large cars and 6's. Now i'm starting to think they have problems with paying to much.
    Because 6's of today would have better fuel economy of the 4cylinders in the early to mid 90's.

Thread Information