Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Change of tactics

Change of tactics

http://drive.com.au/Editorial/Articl...eID=23256&vf=2

Change of tactics
    Richard Blackburn, The Sydney Morning Herald, 02/02/07

Holden’s new Epica medium car marks a turning point in the Holden versus Ford struggle, writes RICHARD BLACKBURN.

Holden Epica

The perennial battle between Holden and Ford will switch to a new front this year, with both manufacturers to re-enter the medium car market. Holden this morning unveiled its new Epica mid-sized sedan at the Brisbane motor show, while Ford is expected to announce it will bring back the Mondeo at next month’s Melbourne motor show.

With Commodore and Falcon sales at their lowest for more than a decade, both brands are keen to increase their exposure to the booming medium-car market.

The Epica will go on sale in early April, while the Mondeo is likely to be launched before the end of the year.

The Epica will be powered by the only 2.0-litre six-cylinder engine on the market.

The in-line six-cylinder 105kW engine is less powerful than its four-cylinder rivals in the segment but more fuel efficient, using just 8.2 litres/100km, compared with 9.9L/100km for the top-selling Toyota Camry. The Epica also will be available with a 2.5-litre engine producing 115kW and using 9.3L/100km. It will have a five-speed automatic only.

Holden’s fourth Korean-built vehicle is expected to be priced from $25,000 and fleets will get even sharper deals, putting added pressure on Camry sales.

The European-sourced Mondeo is likely to be aimed at retail customers and pitched against the Mazda6, Subaru Liberty and Honda Accord.

Ford refuses to confirm any details about the car, other than the fact that it is under consideration for the local market. ‘‘We are not prepared to discuss our plans for Mondeo at this stage,’’ spokeswoman Sinead McAlary says.

But it is believed Ford Australia will give the green light to the Mondeo next month. Once the announcement is made, it would be logical for the car to arrive in Australia soon after, as the new Falcon will be launched early in 2008 and Ford will not want the launches to clash.

Expect a diesel Mondeo to be part of the lineup, as a diesel version of the Falcon is still some way off. This would allow Ford to meet the growing demand for diesel engines in passenger cars.

Holden is also considering a diesel Epica.

The medium-car market is dominated by Toyota’s locally built Camry, which has long held close to half the market. In recent years, however, the Japanese-built Mazda6, Honda Accord and Subaru Liberty have benefited from the switch to smaller four-cylinder cars.

The Japanese brands are also carving out a slice of the fleet market, as more company car owners are being given the freedom to choose their own model.

Subaru has logged double-digit growth in fleet sales for the past few years.

Sales of mid-sized cars defied the downward sales trend in the second half of 2006. Since the launch of a new model Camry in August, sales of medium-cars are up by 15.4 per cent, compared with a drop of 9.2 per cent for the large-cars since the launch of the new Holden Commodore.

Holden boss Denny Mooney says the Epica will be aimed at the value end of the market.

It is built at GM’s Bupyong plant in South Korea but locally tuned by Holden engineers.

Unlike the Commodore, the Epica meets Euro IV emission standards.

The Epica range will have three models – the 2.0-litre CDX, which comes only with a manual transmission; the 2.5-litre, automatic CDX and the more luxurious CDXi automatic, which has a leather trim option.

The Epica comes reasonably well equipped, although it does not get stability control, which is a standard feature on the Commodore and Captiva soft-roader. Standard features include 16-inch alloy wheels, front and rear power windows, cruise control, air-conditioning, a six speaker CD, anti-lock brakes, traction control and front and side airbags.

The CDXi models add 17-inch alloy wheels, sports body kit, climate control air conditioning, side curtain airbags, trip computer, upgraded audio system, fog lamps and leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift.

Meanwhile, Mitsubishi’s plans to launch a four cylinder version of the locally built 380 sedan have stalled due to supply problems. The manufacturer had planned to buy in a four-cylinder engine from Malaysian car maker Proton.
    I am the Stig

In CDXi guise it looks kinda fat and bloated. But like the VE, I'm hoping that it looks much better in the metal.

Being Korean, many people are going to be outwardly against it, going on about how it won't be able to match the Accord or Camry in quality...but for the price, it might just be worth it.

The interior looks quite good - even though its very conservative.

There seems to be plenty of standard gear, although I'm dissapointed at the absence of a stability program.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

I was the same i went onto holdens websight too look up some info on the vectra dimensions, And looked down and seen a overseas model of the VE. Then looked again and seen Epica Thought it was a chev badged VE.

After looking at it it seems too be more similar too the old and new Camry.
    The engines are way to small, A 2.8lt version of the allytech would be a later option but they want people to buy them and not choose them over a Ve i guess.

"In a world of look-alike, drive-alike sedans"

..they sure hit the nail on head there, the Epica certainly isnt any much different from what I see on the road today.

Donthcya just love silly marketing gimmicks
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden

After looking at it it seems too be more similar too the old and new Camry.
    The engines are way to small, A 2.8lt version of the allytech would be a later option but they want people to buy them and not choose them over a Ve i guess.
    Its surprising me how many people have been critical of the power outputs, labelling it as gutles for a 6 cylinder. Sure, the 2.5L with 115kw is hardly competitive, but the 2L with 105kw is right about what it needs to be. Too many people though seem to be overlooking the size of the engines, and thinking its the piston count that matters.

As for the car, i hope it has a rough go in the market. Holden are kidding themselves with all these ex-Daewoo's, and its a credit to their marketing team that they somehow manage to market the VE as a "world beater" and serve us crap in other market segments.
    I am the Stig

You've got to give the Captiva and Epica more credit that "ex-Daewoos" though. Sure, they are by no means segment leaders, but they're not total trash either.

Both cars have been developed for the world, and consequently, have recieved a lot of global input. I expect that it will be of some competency.

I suppose Holden is doing what in needs to survive. They had to ditch the European products (which I sorely miss) because they were becoming too expensive. The Vectra failed dismally, even though it was a good car; and Barinas were selling at a loss.

Its a shame that GM went to Korea for cars, but I think that given time, they'll have some great products out there.

Its harsh, i'll admit that, but it'll take time for GM to turn their Korean operations into more than where Daewoo left them. Even then, GM has no intention for them other to remain as low cost options.
    I am the Stig

Epica or Mondeo ? ,give me the mondeo thanks class leading chassis dynamics, build quality and looks. Hopefully the 2.2 T/Diesel makes its way here
    Duratorq TDCi Diesel 2198 cc
    (Stage IV) 4 cylinders in-line; DOHC; 16 valves; alloy cylinder head; direct injection with high-pressure, common-rail, multi-point fuel injection system; turbocharger with intercooler and transient torque overboost function; electronic throttle; dual-mass flywheel 114 kW
    (155 PS) at 3500 min-1 (rpm) 360 / 400* Nm at 1800 min-1 (rpm)

Last edited by charged; 02-03-2007 at 04:03 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

We should be getting the new Mondeo by all rights, which looks a little like this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Stig

Bonus that looks even better
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

If the Mondeo does make it here (and it probably will), the price gulf between it and the Epica will make the game quite interesting.

I'd take Mondeo over an Epica anyday, but I wonder how value-conscious buyers will react...and from what I can imagine, its in the Epica's favour.

Well i wouldnt be too surprised to see Holden flog off 1500 Epica's, whilst Ford sell maybe 1000 Mondeo's. Both optimistic figures.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx
    If the Mondeo does make it here (and it probably will), the price gulf between it and the Epica will make the game quite interesting.

I'd take Mondeo over an Epica anyday, but I wonder how value-conscious buyers will react...and from what I can imagine, its in the Epica's favour.
    I guess it will be the difference between the Barina and the Fiesta. The Mondeo will come at a premium, so it's Ford's job to communicate to the consumers that the premium is worth it.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    I guess it will be the difference between the Barina and the Fiesta. The Mondeo will come at a premium, so it's Ford's job to communicate to the consumers that the premium is worth it.
    Heh, in the end, it is.

An issue I have come across on these Euro Fords is the indicator stalk. Ford are lazy and leave it on the left side. I don't know where many people stand on this issue, but that alone would turn me off the car. It was the primary reason my mum got an Astra over the new Focus in December (Holden do a proper conversion job).
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Thread Information