View Poll Results: Which lay-out to use ?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • BMW M5. Front engine,RWD

12 26.09%
  • Porsche 911 Carrera 4(s). Rear engine, RWD

1 2.17%
  • Lotus Elise. Mid-engine,RWD

25 54.35%
  • Bugatti Veyron. Mid-engine, 4WD

5 10.87%
  • Audi TT. Front-engine, FWD

0 0%
  • Subaru Impreza. Front engine, 4WD

3 6.52%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP Supercar II: the basic lay-out

apparently the murciolago is a bugger of the line because you need to get it rolling before you can floor it - apparently it stalls if you dont (cant imagine that happening myself), this is of course a manual car

EDIT: of all auto-manuals da de das i like DSG but it still removes driver involvement, i like driver involvement.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    apparently the murciolago is a bugger of the line because you need to get it rolling before you can floor it - apparently it stalls if you dont (cant imagine that happening myself), this is of course a manual car
    Maybe thats something to protect the clutch, mutch like EVO's are limited to 5000rpm on launch.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by hughtower99
    Only when the clutch is of the discount kind that you are used to Cyco
    Yes very true that, the last AWD car I drove was Lambo Merci, and we all know how crappy they are.....

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    Besides I am voting for a clutchless CVT...
    Is that so the engine stops when you do, or you like the very strange sound that they make as the engine note is constant?
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

with all due respect your lumping together car example layouts that are idiosyncratic. If we want this to be original we should first consider the purpose of the car and design the technical specifications round that. Its not as bad as Bugatti saying "yes, lets have 1000hp" and then srtuggling to make the claim reality but its the same kind of error. We are choosing chassis layouts already yet have not outlined the cars target cost, audience or purpose. I'd rather come to a choice of above after seeing it in context - not by copying others. Drakkie your dexcriptions are accurate and i in no way wnat to diss the project - its just a suggestion. Happy engineering!
    Learning moment for me !!!

I must say though,money and market plays less of a role then it would in real life...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Yes very true that, the last AWD car I drove was Lambo Merci, and we all know how crappy they are.....

Is that so the engine stops when you do, or you like the very strange sound that they make as the engine note is constant?
    I like (i am not the only one deciding however) the sound of a changing engine and the ability to double clutch (if i had it) so you have a point, i however will proceed with less sarcasim. Come on team - work it out
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Learning moment for me !!!
    sorry for being blunt. I will leave you all to choose what you want, i didnt realise this would be a just-on-paper project. It would be a shame to produce another concept car and not a half-marketable automobile
    autozine.org

sorry for being blunt. I will leave you all to choose what you want, i didnt realise this would be a just-on-paper project. It would be a shame to produce another concept car and not a half-marketable automobile
    No need to apologize, mate !

Offcourse, if we would find a manufacturer to join us, then it would really be cool. But who's interested ?

yes...i like the bmx 330xi approach where weight can be saved by using a structural sump as the front differential housing. We can save weight aslo by using engine speed rather and FI for power to reduce torque loading hence requirement for stronger parts - however AWD with its extra friction wouldnt suit low torque engine...just thinking out loud..
    I don't think you need to worry about a lack of low end power. Seeing as we will probably be using a V12 of at least 6L...
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Can I suggest that you start a new thread covering the basics. Like what kind of car (race car, GT, saloon etc), target demographics etc. These things ARE very important when choosing certain technical aspects of the car.

And one that appoints project leaders ? Like you suggested in the other thread. Like a Driveline department leader or an Engine design leader etc.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 02-05-2007 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    I don't think you need to worry about a lack of low end power. Seeing as we will probably be using a V12 of at least 6L...
    it would be nice to see use of heterogeneous fuel mixture control for reasons we have seen explained
    autozine.org

I'd love to make this thing a beast but I would also like to see it being as environmentally friendly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Can I suggest that you start a new thread covering the basics. Like what kind of car (race car, GT, saloon etc), target demographics etc. These things ARE very important when choosing certain technical aspects of the car.

And one that appoints project leaders ? Like you suggested in the other thread. Like a Driveline department leader or an Engine design leader etc.
    Suggestion will be executed swiftly

Entries are still open. I am now organizing the entries into a handy Excel-sheet. Will post it later in the other thread. Then I guess each department on it's own should choose their leader ? I can't please everyone,so they should on their own.

So far I'd like to thank everyone thinking with me. These suggestions really help me. Furthermore I feel as if I allready learned some stuff, which is always a good thing !

its funny how most people want a lotus elise style layout. does that mean the engine will be transversely mounted like the ferrari 308GTB

or Cizeta V16T
    autozine.org

Hahaha then I would blame the driver in your case
    forgot to let the clutch all the way out didn't you?

just because it is clutchles doesn't mean that the engine has to stop when the car does. The engine will not run at constant revs all the time if you pull away with low thottle opening then the engine revs stay low. However if you floor it then you accelerate at max power (pretty high revs but not redline). CVT would be designed to get the best economy during low throttle openings and power for larger openings. For the people who just can't handel that then there is always paddle shifters. Come on when I thrash my little bimmer I always wish it would stay at about 7200 to hear the sweet tune. But I wouldn't want it to pull away from the drive thru doing that!
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Suggestion will be executed swiftly

Entries are still open. I am now organizing the entries into a handy Excel-sheet. Will post it later in the other thread. Then I guess each department on it's own should choose their leader ? I can't please everyone,so they should on their own.

So far I'd like to thank everyone thinking with me. These suggestions really help me. Furthermore I feel as if I allready learned some stuff, which is always a good thing !
    You could maybe open up a few threads with polls to chose the project leaders, project members could maybe post a little "cv" that tells us what their skills are.
    After the leaders are chosen these threads could be closed to minimize clutter.

May I also suggest a sort of "General Technical Questions" thread were you can ask certain technical questions to all members so you don't limit yourself to the knowledge that is in your own project group. Questions like: is there a material out there that disintegrates completely upon impact ? (I'd like to know this ). Or maybe what type of clear plastic is the strongest or lightest etc.

Could we also open up a temporary subforum ? Like we had with the first UCP supercar ?

Thread Information