View Poll Results: Which lay-out to use ?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • BMW M5. Front engine,RWD

12 26.09%
  • Porsche 911 Carrera 4(s). Rear engine, RWD

1 2.17%
  • Lotus Elise. Mid-engine,RWD

25 54.35%
  • Bugatti Veyron. Mid-engine, 4WD

5 10.87%
  • Audi TT. Front-engine, FWD

0 0%
  • Subaru Impreza. Front engine, 4WD

3 6.52%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP Supercar II: the basic lay-out

UCP Supercar II: the basic lay-out

Option 1:

Front engine, RWD, using the Holden Monaro / BMW M5 lay-out.

Option 2:

Engine in the rear, 4WD, similar to the 911 Carerra 4(s)

Option 3:

Mid-engined, RWD, Lotus Elise-layout

Option 4:

Mid-engined, 4WD, Bugatti Veyron lay-out.

Option 5:

Front engined, FWD, Audi TT- like

Option 6:

Front engine, 4WD, Subaru Impreza lay-out

Please vote what you would like to work on most.

I voted for Mid engine AWD as it would be the best for a good GT. The final decision is linked to what sort of car we are creating...

AWD is a little heavy for a light track car....
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

For a GT, i think front engined looks best. AWD would be safer and put the power down better
    I am the Stig

Actually front engine AWD works very well with a GT but I think that it would be an interesting challenge to make it mid engine for somewhat improved steering response and handling. Plus without having to make soo much room for the engine in the front, very interesting and functional front ends are possible.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

Personally I think that front engine + RWD is the way to go or maybe mid engine. AWD is waaaay overrated and mostly unnecessary IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Personally I think that front engine + RWD is the way to go or maybe mid engine. AWD is waaaay overrated and mostly unnecessary IMHO.
    Not if you are driving an expensive GT exotic car on a snowy road.

and if you like 0-100km/h acceleration times then AWD wins again.

Mid engine RWD is classic exotic car and front engine RWD is classic sports car. Lets try something slightly different eh?

You don't drive your exotic GT on a snowy road. Why would you?
    AWD wins on acceleration if it has the power to compensate for the extra weight. Assuming power is the same and the chassis/tyres is able to put down the power the RWD version would be quicker.

And it's more fun and it doesn't understeer and is probably less nose heavy.

Or maybe some sort of compromise. An AWD system that has 100% rear bias in normal situations and 50/50 or even 100/0 bias when the computer system senses that you're going over the limit. Or AWD 50/50 enabled on request.

4 wheel steering would a cool as well.

You don't drive your exotic GT on a snowy road. Why would you?
    I would. But probably people living in areas that have a winter are a minority of "buyers" and shouldn't be conserned of.

Or maybe some sort of compromise. An AWD system that has 100% rear bias in normal situations and 50/50 or even 100/0 bias when the computer system senses that you're going over the limit. Or AWD 50/50 enabled on request.
    Then we'd have a normally RWD car with a weight of an AWD. Otherwise it sounds good.

with all due respect your lumping together car example layouts that are idiosyncratic. If we want this to be original we should first consider the purpose of the car and design the technical specifications round that. Its not as bad as Bugatti saying "yes, lets have 1000hp" and then srtuggling to make the claim reality but its the same kind of error. We are choosing chassis layouts already yet have not outlined the cars target cost, audience or purpose. I'd rather come to a choice of above after seeing it in context - not by copying others. Drakkie your dexcriptions are accurate and i in no way wnat to diss the project - its just a suggestion. Happy engineering!
    autozine.org

Yup, I know the weight would be an issue but then again the use of some light weight composites could offset that, no ?. It has all of the advantages of a RWD and the safety/grip advantages of AWD when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    with all due respect your lumping together car example layouts that are idiosyncratic. If we want this to be original we should first consider the purpose of the car and design the technical specifications round that. Its not as bad as Bugatti saying "yes, lets have 1000hp" and then srtuggling to make the claim reality but its the same kind of error. We are choosing chassis layouts already yet have not outlined the cars target cost, audience or purpose. I'd rather come to a choice of above after seeing it in context - not by copying others. Drakkie your dexcriptions are accurate and i in no way wnat to diss the project - its just a suggestion. Happy engineering!
    I completely agree really. Target audience, cost etc should be considerd first. Technical aspects are second.

With AWD you can drop all your power from standstill and you will just go. Do that without AWD and a good amount of power then with normal tires you are going to get some smoke.

Ask people who own a GT and can afford to take it traveling. Most of them will have driven on wet roads, snowy roads, dirt roads, roads in poor condition. To handel the power in your present day GTs you are going to need one hell of a ETC system to keep the owner from dumping it. Or a simpler ETC system with AWD. AWD in normal cars (as opposed to race cars) almost always have the advantage in accelration and lateral acceleration limits.

IMO an AWD should be slightly rear biased from a standstill, something like 40/60. It should feed more power to the front wheels when the rears start slipping. Also some kind of ETC system that makes turn in better by cutting down power to the front wheels when the front wheels are turned and the rear wheels can maintain traction. Obviously it should have LSDs front and back plus a driver adjustable center diff.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    With AWD you can drop all your power from standstill and you will just go. Do that without AWD and a good amount of power then with normal tires you are going to get some smoke.

Ask people who own a GT and can afford to take it traveling. Most of them will have driven on wet roads, snowy roads, dirt roads, roads in poor condition. To handel the power in your present day GTs you are going to need one hell of a ETC system to keep the owner from dumping it. Or a simpler ETC system with AWD. AWD in normal cars (as opposed to race cars) almost always have the advantage in accelration and lateral acceleration limits.

IMO an AWD should be slightly rear biased from a standstill, something like 40/60. It should feed more power to the front wheels when the rears start slipping. Also some kind of ETC system that makes turn in better by cutting down power to the front wheels when the front wheels are turned and the rear wheels can maintain traction. Obviously it should have LSDs front and back plus a driver adjustable center diff.
    yes...i like the bmx 330xi approach where weight can be saved by using a structural sump as the front differential housing. We can save weight aslo by using engine speed rather and FI for power to reduce torque loading hence requirement for stronger parts - however AWD with its extra friction wouldnt suit low torque engine...just thinking out loud..
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    Drop a lot of power from stand still into a AWD car and you get a lot of smoke, just that it is clutch rather than tyres
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Drop a lot of power from stand still into a AWD car and you get a lot of smoke, just that it is clutch rather than tyres
    Only when the clutch is of the discount kind that you are used to Cyco

Besides I am voting for a clutchless CVT...

Thread Information