Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontiac G8 Revealed - exterior and interior

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    This reminds me of a VE Commodore. Am I the only one?
    It seems you've been living under a rock for the last few months
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Question: What is it that US car companies have against fitting big wheels from the factory? Those look like 18s, whereas here that wheel (which is the HSV GTS wheel) is a 20. Or is it just Pontiac? They chucked tiny little wheels on the GTO that looked silly.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Other than the bonnet, it looks nice. For the life of me, i'll never understand why the bonnet vents had to be that far forward. Performance enhancing or not, it looks crap. They dont look good on '68 GT500's, and the same on the VE/G8.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Question: What is it that US car companies have against fitting big wheels from the factory? Those look like 18s, whereas here that wheel (which is the HSV GTS wheel) is a 20.
    The GTO came with smaller wheels than the Monaro (as well as softer suspension) to handle the supposed chasms between concrete slabs on US highways.
    I am the Stig

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    The GTO came with smaller wheels than the Monaro (as well as softer suspension) to handle the supposed chasms between concrete slabs on US highways.
    Yes indeed and who gives a damn that VE reputedly excels current BMW in steering/dynamics, and lets not get too technical through risking being confronted by VE's notably lower price than its most befitting interior-dimensional & power competitors, like M-B S-class and BMW 7-Series, along with those other various FWD or live axle also-rans

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Question: What is it that US car companies have against fitting big wheels from the factory? Those look like 18s, whereas here that wheel (which is the HSV GTS wheel) is a 20. Or is it just Pontiac? They chucked tiny little wheels on the GTO that looked silly.
    Well bigger isn't always better. A common problem of today's cars is that they have way too much tyre for the perfomance they actually have.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by mmm_aapls
    Yes you would be the only one, because the rest of us know it is a VE commodore
    Hrm. Oops. I would've thought I'd remember it if I'd read about it. But it seems unlikely it wasn't in The Cars Guide.
    Maybe I just forgot. So now you can all forget that I made a fool about myself...Right??

...Right?
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Well bigger isn't always better. A common problem of today's cars is that they have way too much tyre for the perfomance they actually have.
    Well, my issue is with the styling issues of going to smaller wheels. The VE SS runs 245 section tyres all round so they have plenty of grip, and on the GTS (those wheels) they run 275 section rears. US buyers had better hope that they don't go down size in section as well.

Any word on specs for these? Still running the 270kw L92 6ltr?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

too much tyre? - wider treads surely means less tread distortion. Therefore one can assume the wider rear treads get the less it will oversteer. You could also assume that once the tyres do let go youd be going much faster making the transition difficult to control....is this a paradigm change from older cars with skinnier tyres.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    too much tyre? - wider treads surely means less tread distortion. Therefore one can assume the wider rear treads get the less it will oversteer. You could also assume that once the tyres do let go youd be going much faster making the transition difficult to control....is this a paradigm change from older cars with skinnier tyres.
    In these cars the wide tyres are there to improve handling yes, but mostly because of the main purpose they have, stopping wheelspin from the big, torquey V8s. And whilst the progression from grip to oversteer at high speed may be harder than if it let go earlier because of skinner wheels, good tyres and a good suspension set up will give it a smoother, more controllable progression. On the whole, the VE did vastly improve the Commodore's dynamics, I think it's still got that lovely controllable drifting skill that you Poms love.
    – Hunter Thompson

More Pics and some info. That sure looks much nicer than alot of the other stuff in the Pontiac lineup. Hopefully the interior truely is as nice as it look.The 362hp 6.0L V8 and a 6-speed sounds pretty dandy too
    Last edited by Solstice; 02-06-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    That picture from the back looks SOO much like an M3
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I hate the wheels so much, otherwise, not bad...

Thread Information