Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Superiority for the next 25 years: Confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    Raw Power is your friend.
    A10 pilots aren't.

In just under 3 hrs time, a British tabloid newspaper will be releasing a classified cockpit from an American A10 that attacked a British convoy in Iraq, killing one soldier and wounding several others.

The Americans have said it will "never happen again".

It is a shame that they were referring to the leaking of the classified tape, not the dead British solider.

P.S.

Air Superiority against who, by the way?
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 02-05-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    This project is almost 20 years old (from first contracts awarded) and development has cost just under $200 Billion and the 180 planes will cost another $22 Billion. But I'm sure it will be well worth it, especially against those car bombers in Iraq
    The plane may be good, but the project is a joke. Especially compared to how the JSF came together.
    I fail to see how a huge super expensive plane can help against car bombers...?

The cost to develop crazy fighters are spiraling. The JSF came out fine. What's wrong with a single platform that can handle stuff and being relatively cheap?

I'm not saying the Raptor's a piece of garbage. But redirecting some of that money that went into it somewhere could have been used for more advanced weapons for use in the JSF that last longer than planes do. Besides, what happens when say another country has a better plane out? You scrap these and start a better Raptor? It makes no sense. How long can you keep up with them? Make smarter weapons instead. The JSF combines a bit of stealth and everyday usability in a cheapish (anything is cheap compared to the F-22) package. Also, the F-22 is so expensive that the Air Force barely has enough of them to go around. Sure it'll kick ass, but there be enough of them for something like this to be effective, no matter how powerful, in the future?

ok. i feel stupid, buuut how do you post forums, i just cant seem to find it! ERRRR IT MAKING ME ANGRY!

You can't post forums. You mean maybe threads?

holy crap yes, tell me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    Blingin' chrome cannon
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I remember seeing on Discovery Channel years ago that Warthogs can remain flight even if half of one wing is blown off. They're literally flying tanks.

they're designed to take some serious damage.

Still, F-22's are teh shizzle.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88
    holy crap yes, tell me
    We'll tell you, but you must vow to use this power only for good - never for evil.

**It's under "Forum Tools."**
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    A10 pilots aren't.

In just under 3 hrs time, a British tabloid newspaper will be releasing a classified cockpit from an American A10 that attacked a British convoy in Iraq, killing one soldier and wounding several others.

The Americans have said it will "never happen again".

It is a shame that they were referring to the leaking of the classified tape, not the dead British solider.

P.S.

Air Superiority against who, by the way?
    What is the tabloid newspaper doing with a cockpit from an American A10 that attacked a British convoy in Iraq, killing one soldier and wounding several others?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA)
    We'll tell you, but you must vow to use this power only for good - never for evil.

**It's under "Forum Tools."**

haha, of course, of course

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    What is the tabloid newspaper doing with a cockpit from an American A10 that attacked a British convoy in Iraq, killing one soldier and wounding several others?
    I'm assuming a typo on Cov's behalf. The Sun newspaper has gotten hold of a leaked cockpit VIDEOTAPE showing the 'friendly fire' attack on a UK military convoy in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    The Sun newspaper says it has obtained the cockpit video at the centre of a row over the "friendly-fire" death of a British soldier in Iraq.

An inquest into the death of L/Cpl Matty Hull, 25, from Berkshire, was adjourned last week after the coroner said the tape was central to the case.

The MoD said it was classified "secret" by the US, so could not be released.

The Sun says the video shows US aircraft attacking a British convoy in Basra, southern Iraq, in March 2003.

The paper has published a transcript of what it says was said by US military personnel on the video and says it will release copies of the video footage to other media organisations later.

Last week, when the existence of the tape came to light, L/Cpl Hull's widow, Susan, described it as an "absolute disgrace" that she had been assured by the military no such tape existed.

L/Cpl Hull, from the Household Cavalry Regiment, died from multiple injuries inside his blazing Scimitar tank, despite efforts by colleagues to save him.

He was travelling in a column of light armoured vehicles near the southern Iraqi city of Basra when it was reportedly attacked by a US A-10 "tankbuster" aircraft.

On Friday, Oxfordshire Assistant Deputy Coroner Andrew Walker was forced to adjourn L/Cpl Hull's hearing because the MoD had failed to provide the inquest with a recording.

He had earlier launched a furious attack on the MoD for refusing to release the tape.

The MoD said it was given a copy of the video by the US government for its own investigation into the incident.

"This recording is the property of the United States government and the MoD does not have the right to release it without their permission," it said in a statement.

L/Cpl Hull's family had been told that some classified material has been withheld, "but we did not specify its exact nature", the statement added.

"There has never been any intention to deliberately deceive or mislead L/Cpl Hull's family."

A Pentagon spokeswoman said the US government never released documents that were part of an investigation.

The US government would view whoever leaked the video as "criminally responsible", the spokeswoman added.
    The video is already up on The Sun's website by the looks of it...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,11021-10043,00.html

(Second vid down on the list)
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Well the family of hte soldier killed were told there was no tape.
    The coroner ( the official in the UK who must legally determine cause fo death ) was told there was no tape.
    THEN the story became that there WAS a tape but that the US military/government would not release it.
    Thankfully it looks like somewhere in the US chain understands what allies are and how they should be treated and release an illegal copy at huge risk.

Hard to blame the pilots as they clearly requested clearance numerous times. Being cynical it looks like someone up the chain of command is trying to protect their ass !!!

Feel sorry for the pilots, they did every due dilligence you should expect in a battlefield. Looks like military/government deceit making us citizens and soldiers look bad

ON teh air superiority of the F-22 it will be interesting to see it stack up in the next Canada/US/UK exercise for a more realistic evaluation. In the past the Brits have won those with on paper vastly inferior equipment
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    This project is almost 20 years old (from first contracts awarded) and development has cost just under $200 Billion and the 180 planes will cost another $22 Billion.
    Now just imagine putting an astronomical sum of money like that towards medical research and getting people off the street rather than the development of killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Thankfully it looks like somewhere in the US chain understands what allies are and how they should be treated and release an illegal copy at huge risk.
    Apparently if they find his ass he is going to get it. Clearly plenty in the U.S. chain don’t understand what allies are!

Hard to blame the pilots as they clearly requested clearance numerous times. Being cynical it looks like someone up the chain of command is trying to protect their ass !!!

Feel sorry for the pilots, they did every due dilligence you should expect in a battlefield. Looks like military/government deceit making us citizens and soldiers look bad
    The pilots appeared to think that they had stuffed up as the attacked the targets despite them displaying the orange markers. Orange missiles?! I don’t know how strict the orders would have been regarding the orange markers and I am sure that the enemy may have used them as protection as they didn’t have to fear friendly fire from any of their aircraft.
    Tough one but as you said they asked repeatedly.
    Did the pilots go down for this?

ON teh air superiority of the F-22 it will be interesting to see it stack up in the next Canada/US/UK exercise for a more realistic evaluation. In the past the Brits have won those with on paper vastly inferior equipment
    Hey we currently have F111s in Nevada for Red Flag 07. You want inferior and obsolete! And we will have these until 2015 when we are supposed to be getting the JSF. The F111 arrived 10 years late so we will see.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information