Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got (another) new computer

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Unfortunately wireless networking on windows is HIGHLY instable and will sometimes just refuse to work without good reason.

I've experienced this on a number of PCs all with good fresh windows installs so it's not an isolated freak case.
    i can vouch for that.If theres a few of us playing on lan the server simply cannot be wireless. we just break out the network cables..
    autozine.org

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    i can vouch for that.If theres a few of us playing on lan the server simply cannot be wireless. we just break out the network cables..
    Yeah, back when we had cable internet, we ran a Netgear wireless...was usualy pretty reliable but would sometimes quit working for no reason. It was a PITA to get it running again when it did conk out. I always figured it was the wireless router itself, not the OS though...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    Hey, I grew up in Silicon Valley. Had parents in the High-Tech industry - been submerged in compys since birth. I don't like computers, but please, don't construe that as not being able to use them. Neither Windows Media Player nor iTunes will play MP3's.
    I can play .mp3's on Vista through Windows Media Player, Winamp, and iTunes.. I just fail to see where the problem can lie.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I could play mp3's too, and I was using beta versions. Problem is, I had to switch back to integrated audio since Vista wouldn't let my X-Fi sound card work. Does anyone knows if this issue has been corrected?
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Unfortunately wireless networking on windows is HIGHLY instable and will sometimes just refuse to work without good reason.

I've experienced this on a number of PCs all with good fresh windows installs so it's not an isolated freak case.
    Precisely, in theory it's easy but not in practice. Case point Windows vs. Mac. I had both my iMac and PC side-by-side at my desk. Mac was getting a strong signal, 5mbps connection with no disruptions. My PC (within 3 feet of the Mac) was getting a low signal strength, 1mbps or less (speed tests done on DLSreports.com) and I constantly lose the signal and have to reset the router, my IP, connection etc.

Somehow Windows only manages to muster 1mbps, even though my card tells me it's connected at 36???

Mac>Windows
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin
    Precisely, in theory it's easy but not in practice. Case point Windows vs. Mac. I had both my iMac and PC side-by-side at my desk. Mac was getting a strong signal, 5mbps connection with no disruptions. My PC (within 3 feet of the Mac) was getting a low signal strength, 1mbps or less (speed tests done on DLSreports.com) and I constantly lose the signal and have to reset the router, my IP, connection etc.

Somehow Windows only manages to muster 1mbps, even though my card tells me it's connected at 36???

Mac>Windows
    I fully agree.

But this is not the best place to start a Mac vs. PC war. Just be sound in the knowledge that you are one of the few who knows better!

I will fight to the death in PC.Mac warz. I'm not a PC fanboy, I just hate Mac fanboys.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I'm not a Mac fanboy, I just like them. They work, they work well, they work in style.

I run a Netgear Wireless network and Windows XP - never. ever. had a problem.

and i'm not the only computer on the network.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    I run a Netgear Wireless network and Windows XP - never. ever. had a problem.

and i'm not the only computer on the network.
    The above is usually true when one knows how to work a computer.

Oh how I love to be harsh.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I was stealing my friend's Internet last night. I jacked into his network by accident it just told me that I had the chance to connect to a Netgear wireless system, so I did

And there was me thinking that Mac wouldn't be compatible with Windows stuff... a shame that, whenever a friend of mine brings his Dell round, he can't jack into our wireless system...

See? Windows users are sharing people who love to network and interact with other users and computers.

Mac Users are hermits who live in holes. forever cursed by their smug sense of self-importance, and belief that they've chosen a superior system.

Or perhaps i'm just reading far too much into that......
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    See? Windows users are sharing people who love to network and interact with other users and computers.

Mac Users are hermits who live in holes. forever cursed by their smug sense of self-importance, and belief that they've chosen a superior system.

Or perhaps i'm just reading far too much into that......
    there just arent enough mac fans in a close enough distance for interaction
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    And there was me thinking that Mac wouldn't be compatible with Windows stuff... a shame that, whenever a friend of mine brings his Dell round, he can't jack into our wireless system...
    Your friend is a noob then.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I can play .mp3's on Vista through Windows Media Player, Winamp, and iTunes.. I just fail to see where the problem can lie.
    Come on over and see...I have no idea either, I've never, ever had a problem playing MP3's before on 95, 98, 2000, or XP, so it's quite a surprise to me as well.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information