Thread: slotted brakes direction

slotted brakes direction

which way should slotted brakes be mounted ?? with the outer edge in front of the inner edge (with respect to forward movement) or the other way around ??

since hte slots are tangendental in almost all applicaitons of slotted brakes i've seen id assume that the direction does indeed matter, however in the applications ove slotted brakes i've seen them mounted in both of the afformentioned orientations which would imply direction doesnt matter ...

to vent brake gasses id assume that the inner edge should be in front of the outer edge but i'm still unsure, please help

From Brembo.....

The slots are angled to use the rotors’ direction of rotation to enhance their performance, which makes the rotors side-specific with left and right side rotors. Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are sold in axle pairs and the easiest way to verify correct usage is to install the rotors on the side of the vehicle that results in the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor always contacting the brake pads first.

Here is a diagram from www.racingbrake.com

Last edited by revetec; 02-14-2007 at 04:17 PM.

eh, the discription says that the vanes and slots must be angled to the rear but in the diagram the slots and vanes are angled in oposing directions to each other ...

I'm pretty sure I've seen them installed both ways.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1 View Post
    eh, the discription says that the vanes and slots must be angled to the rear but in the diagram the slots and vanes are angled in oposing directions to each other ...
    The vanes angle to the rear and the slots the other way around, tipo i guess, it makes sence, since the disk works like a turbine and with the rotation draws cold air thru the disk and then the hot air out. The slots are mearly for brake pad dust elimination. I guess the slots can be made in many forms and use other directions, but the vanes must be the same for every disk to make the air circulate.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen them installed both ways.
    ditto...

Carroll Smith used the same direction as the above brembo pic in his "To Win" book....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    The vanes angle to the rear and the slots the other way around, tipo i guess, it makes sence, since the disk works like a turbine and with the rotation draws cold air thru the disk and then the hot air out. The slots are mearly for brake pad dust elimination. I guess the slots can be made in many forms and use other directions, but the vanes must be the same for every disk to make the air circulate.
    i know the vanes must angle that way since they act like a centrifugal pump but id figure the slots should be directional too since they're trying to vent brake gas, which id assume would be done by placing the slots in the same direction as the vanes ... at the same time i understand why the slot direciton won't really matter that much since the amount of brake gas created is tiny compared to the amount of air pumped to cool the disc

anyways thanks for the info guys

Thread Information