View Poll Results: What basic design should we go for?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • NA, V

5 50.00%
  • NA, W

0 0%
  • FI, V

2 20.00%
  • FI, W

3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP Supercar II: Engine Department.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    A low pressure turbo designed for early boost would essentially give the feeling of a larger NA engine, with the added bonus of killing some of the exhaust noise and alot of heat so a less restrictive more acurately toned exhaust can be created.

so in this case

low pressure quick boost FI = Sharper better scalpel
    as far as i can remember no FI engine (even with clever low-pressure quick-boost malarky) can rev as much or as freely as a NA one...

this is just down to personal opinion though. my preference for an engine type is NA (as you can probably tell ), your personal preference for engines is obviously FI.

as this is the UCP supercar you should create a voting thread for the various options that have been suggested and let UCP decide...

my suggestion would be a high revving 4-4.5 litre v8 in the vein of the latest maserati quattroporte
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    as far as i can remember no FI engine (even with clever low-pressure quick-boost malarky) can rev as much or as freely as a NA one...

this is just down to personal opinion though. my preference for an engine type is NA (as you can probably tell ), your personal preference for engines is obviously FI.

as this is the UCP supercar you should create a voting thread for the various options that have been suggested and let UCP decide...

my suggestion would be a high revving 4-4.5 litre v8 in the vein of the latest maserati quattroporte
    Its odd that you say you like NA for what basically amounts to top end power when that is what FI engines do soo well?

And then you say you want a 4-4.5 liter V8 capable of highrevs???

Listen: in a GT with a high total weight and the basic general idea that they are supposed to be confortable cruising around town and blasting around whenever you like a 4.5L V8 tuned for power at high revs just doesn't cut it.

I believe that the final descision for whether or not the engine is FI or NA should fall on the Engine department and be in agreement with the Complete car guys.

I personally want an engine that acts like the bigger brother of the 335i. With some new tech to add some extra spice. I also would love it if it could, at high revs, sound more like the bigger brother of the M3.

Basically I want the pulling power of a strong diesel from the get go, but with the refinement of a DI petrol engine, that has excellent but still refined mid range power and then only at the top does it go absolutely balistic. Preferrably the switch shouldn't be as loppy as Vtec just smooth transition.

I believe that to achieve that would be easier by running the engine FI. It would simplify alot of the tuning of almost all the running systems.

I hope no body has a thing against FI engines only because they are FI...?

I would like to point out that I don't dislike NA engines and that my opinion on this matter is mostly to do with my opinion that FI can do the job in hand better. If we where designing something else then maybe NA would be the best option but for all aspects I don't see any downsides in using FI.
    Last edited by hightower99; 02-10-2007 at 01:04 PM.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

ht, *I* (!) have to say ...... "there is no I in team"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

In my management studies i heard of the difficulties with "virtual teams". Now i can see them plainly.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    ht, *I* (!) have to say ...... "there is no I in team"

Hahaha yeah but the isn't a U in TEAM either

(just kidding)
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Hahaha yeah but the isn't a U in TEAM either

(just kidding)
    seriuosly....we need a new position..team leader and coordiantor
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    seriuosly....we need a new position..team leader and coordiantor
    Best way to kill real innovation

Adapt to facilitate open, positive interactions with peers and users ... MUCH more effective

or

alternatively

JFDI
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It all sounds terribly conventional to me.

Has anyone mentioned something that isn't pistons motivated by either petroleum or diesel fuel?

Is there nothing better?

I'm not too sure of where this idea that having the "team" hermetically seal themselves off from the rest of the world comes from.

LvM: "And now I, Lüffesprunt von Manfred, head of new product development, at this, the unveiling of the new BMW 3 series, shall pass you over to Manfred von Lüffesprunt, head of engine development, to tell you about what engines will be powering the car. I'm sure you'll all be as excited as I to know what those engines will be!"

Why not draw inspiration from outside the tedious conventions of the automotive industry, and stick in a pair of these bad boys:

Isotta Fraschini L1306 TS
    Straight Six
    Twin Turbo
    588kW/800hp @ 2600 rpm
    11,309cc
    Consumption: 230g/kWh
    Dry weight: 980kg
    Dimensions: 1753 x 770 x 1037

Or get one of those naval gas turbines that will literally run on anything you care to fill it with?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best way to kill real innovation

Adapt to facilitate open, positive interactions with peers and users ... MUCH more effective

or

alternatively

JFDI

You still need some kind of single point of coordination that knows what everyone is or should be doing. Engineers shouldn’t manage anymore than mangers should engineer.

It would be nice if everyone just met openly and positively and could interact rationally, but realistically that doesn’t happen. Everyone has there own opinion and some times the only way to get to JFDI, is to have a single person make the decision (whether right or wrong).

IMO I don’t think the forum as it is, is effective. When an idea is agreed upon it should be documented somewhere that is easy for everyone to find (i.e the first post). A function ideal for a manager or coordinator. One should not have to read through the whole thread to figure where the current state of design is at. The thread could be there as a record of the thought process. Without sufficient information management a project like this cannot succeed.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor
    You still need some kind of single point of coordination that knows what everyone is or should be doing. Engineers shouldn’t manage anymore than mangers should engineer.
    A very "british" approach.

Read on why HP grew to be the worlds foremost instrumentation company and computing and why everyoen copied their style -- until they lost the recipe

See 99% of the Japanese productivity techniques.

ALL engineers should be managing and all managers need to knwo enough to take the decision when two optiosn are "equal" and carry the can for it.

IMO I don’t think the forum as it is, is effective. When an idea is agreed upon it should be documented somewhere that is easy for everyone to find (i.e the first post). A function ideal for a manager or coordinator.
    Old-style thinking.
    A PROCESS is needed that everyoen uses to record options and reach decision.
    A PERSON will always put their own influence on it. Next time in a meeting ask WHY the person with the pen chose to take the notes/minutes
    Without sufficient information management a project like this cannot succeed.
    Spot on and "management" does not need managers it only needs processes and records

Old-style thinking.
    A PROCESS is needed that everyoen uses to record options and reach decision.
    A PERSON will always put their own influence on it. Next time in a meeting ask WHY the person with the pen chose to take the notes/minutes
    When I said "forum" I meant specifically the layout of an “internet forum” , not an “open forum of information”.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

We could just use a flux capacitator.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I'm with Conventry here, something diferent! A radial... i don't know, something that would set our car apart, let's make it unique! for me v8s, v10s, v12s are more than common now, let's do something exotic! 10 turbo v10 or something like that. 6 turbo v12... a diesel, the engine has to be another thing made to be looked at and be amazed by it.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Isotta Fraschini L1306 TS...

Or get one of those naval gas turbines that will literally run on anything you care to fill it with?
    IF makes some interesting engines, although their reliability is rather questionable. The US navy uses their engines in one of our platforms, and they are a continual problem.

and typical marine gas turbine engines are rather finicky about what fuel they use. they need very high purity and no sediment. combine that with a long time to spool up, and they make pretty awful engines for road use. if you were to combine it with a hybrid system, with electric motors to power it at low speeds, then maybe, but then there is the weight penalty of the batteries, in addition to the amount of fuel you would need to power the GTE. they arent even related to efficient.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

yes the M3 does sound better but that is mostly because the M3 has a big V8
    Interesting description of a 3.x litre inline 6.......

If you want truly variable valve lift and timing then the solenoid option is the only real way to go.

If they require higher voltages to operate then running the rest of the car at 48 or so volts can have other advantages as well.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Thread Information