View Poll Results: What basic design should we go for?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • NA, V

5 50.00%
  • NA, W

0 0%
  • FI, V

2 20.00%
  • FI, W

3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP Supercar II: Engine Department.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post

Says who? The women buying the shoes or the sugar daddy handing out the money
    oh you caught me

I'm both...
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    If the V12's crank sees no input torque how does it output torque?
    The crankshaft of the V12 will see both torque input and output from different cylinders but at the crank (flywheel) the V12 is putting out positive torque constantly because at least one cylinder will be in it's power stroke at any given crank angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Why will they be too low?

Does this affect Porsche and Subaru?
    Most engine compartments are relatively open from the bottom. They can be shielded by other parts but normally they are pretty open. The last thing you want is for something to hit the cylinders or cylinder heads. Also because the pistons are layed out flat the exhaust has to go underneth the bank of cylinders meaning that you can't mount it too low because then the exhaust scrapes. Also things like cambelts and other vulnerable things are brought closer to the ground where they run a higher risk of being damaged.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    Most engine compartments are relatively open from the bottom. They can be shielded by other parts but normally they are pretty open. The last thing you want is for something to hit the cylinders or cylinder heads. Also because the pistons are layed out flat the exhaust has to go underneth the bank of cylinders meaning that you can't mount it too low because then the exhaust scrapes. Also things like cambelts and other vulnerable things are brought closer to the ground where they run a higher risk of being damaged.
    Why couldn't a thin aluminum sheet be used as a shield? Bolt it on under the engine. Why couldn't the exhaust exit from above the engine? I'm just curious, so, don't go off on me.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    Why couldn't a thin aluminum sheet be used as a shield? Bolt it on under the engine. Why couldn't the exhaust exit from above the engine? I'm just curious, so, don't go off on me.
    I guess that if you move the exaust up.. then the intake goes down... you rather have a steel pipe close to the ground or a series of carburators/injectors. Exagerating obviusly...
    Last edited by ruim20; 02-13-2007 at 06:27 PM.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    I guess that if you move the exaust up.. then the intake goes down... you rather have a steel pipe close to the graund of a series of carburators/injectors. Exagerating obviusly...
    Why is it impossible to have both on one side?

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    Why is it impossible to have both on one side?
    not a good idea! the exhaust heats the intake air reducing the charge density. then theres the cylinder head heat flow. And with 4 vpc it makes it even harder - especially for a high flow engine.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    not a good idea! the exhaust heats the intake air reducing the charge density. then theres the cylinder head heat flow. And with 4 vpc it makes it even harder - especially for a high flow engine.
    Just putting it out there. It sounded like a good solution, but obviously isn't.

sorry if i seemed sharp..i actually admire you more because your questioning ideas. better than just not doing it cos no-one else does.
    autozine.org

The last thing you want is for something to hit the cylinders or cylinder heads.
    In a mid/rear engine configuration there is LOTS of bodywork ahead of hte engine to provide protection.
    You're thinking front location and even then sensible placement fo the anti-roll bar can provide protection.
    Also because the pistons are layed out flat the exhaust has to go underneth the bank of cylinders
    No it doesn't.
    The exhaust can come out the top or the sides if you are clever - esp if using rotary valves
    Think you're not bothering to consider this because of lack of knowledge and understanding. THink out of the box -- a boxer NA flat 12 with top entry inlet using roof/side inlets to provide "natural" Forced Induction for higher speeds when the higher power is beneficial. ( Chapman approach - make everything do at least 2 jobs )
    Exhaust could exit out the sides of the heads -- or out the top and let the inlet come in the side. or even both in and out on the top ( but has hot exhaust closer to charged inlet, so not ideal BUT, could use airflow and wrap to reduce the effect. Short stroke can keep the engine narrow to give lots of space at the sides for piping !
    Also things like cambelts and other vulnerable things are brought closer to the ground where they run a higher risk of being damaged.
    erm, that's what casing are for
    It's a GT I thought was asked for not a rally car !!!!
    If it bothers, it's easy to add a c/f or duralumin "sump guard" just liek teh WRC cars run........
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-13-2007 at 05:46 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Too Many Chefs in the Kitchen?
    autozine.org

For a flat configuration we could build up to about 5L into a flat 6... ...with 6 cylinders you could again get almost 5L out of it... ...A 6L V12
    Am I missing something important here?

Why are you comparing a 5-litre 6 cylinder flat/straight arrangement with a 6-litre V12?

If it was a 180° V12, then surely it would be, mechanically, identical to a 72° V12.

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Too Many Chefs in the Kitchen?
    None qualified !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

This may not be the appropriate place, but I was wondering what are the advantages of fuel injection over natural aspiration and vice versa if it applies.

Fuel injection and natural aspiration aren't related. Natural aspiration refers to engines without turbo- or superchargers. Fuel injection is the way the fuel/air mix enters the cylinders, replacing carbuerration.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Do you mean over carby fed? Natural Aspiration is the alternative to forced induction, not fuel injection. Fuel injection though regulates the fuel alot closer and accurately, is more economical and more reliable.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information