Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 78

Thread: EU: Proposed 18% CO2 cut

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    I do realise that there are people on both sides of the story. I've said that all along. Nothing you could show me would condradict the overwhelming consensus of scientists worldwide. It's ridiculous that you would attemp to use this as an argument when you don't take the IPCC seriously.

    I'm embarassed that it's taken me this long to realise that you're hardly reading anything I post.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 02-08-2007 at 04:43 PM.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    True North
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I do realise that there are people on both sides of the story. I've said that all along. Nothing you could show me would condradict the overwhelming consensus of scientists worldwide. It's ridiculous that you would attemp to use this as an argument when you don't take the IPCC seriously.

    I'm embarassed that it's taken me this long to realise that you're hardly reading anything I post.
    I already told you to disregard anything I say.

    Lets end this stupid argument anyway, we kinda spammed up this thread(or at least I did).

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    True North
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    The output of 6 people amongst many other areas
    It's always worth looking up the "about us" stuff on web sites !!
    oh I forgot the "volunteers" as well --- about as reliable scientifically as the local catholic priest
    Umm the petition is signed by 17,000...but anyway back on track...

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    1,163
    I guess that most of you have read about Richard Branson's competition on extracting C02 from the atmosphere.

    Most of the technology focuses on reducing emissions or making them stop altogether through the introduction of fuel cell technology.

    This is the first approach on "deleting" the already emitted CO2 from past generations. Even if it doesn't work out it still is a good idea worth researching.

    Apart from the marketing hype that is undoubtedly behind Branson's move, I really like the parallelisation with the geographical longitude contest many centuries ago (presented in Branson's press release and also the source below). But geographical longitude was known since the 1400's. That's the reason for which the Spanish were able to go to the US. So, Richie next time use better examples, since no one yet has been able to extract CO2 from the atmosphere

    Source:

    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/0...20070209093000
    Last edited by lightweight; 02-09-2007 at 02:25 PM.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    1,163
    Another interesting contribution on the topic is the emission trading scheme.

    The story goes like this: Each company has an output of CO2. If this output is above the legal limit, then the company pays a fine. Companies that are below the legal limit can sell their CO2 "allowance" to another "lawbreaker" company. The buying and selling of CO2 follows the laws of the stock market, allowing escalated prices at periods of time and reduced prices at others.

    The funds gathered are invested in environmental research

    This concept was known for sometime ago, but today I read from the link posted below that the Australian Government has already implemented this.

    Can our friends from the outback give us more information?

    Source:

    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/0...20070209153030
    Last edited by lightweight; 02-09-2007 at 02:25 PM.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,778
    The cynic in me suggests that Branson is doing this to ensure his airline can continue to fly and expand

    Canuck ? 17,000 ?? Wow that's a lot for a web petition ---- NOT
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    True North
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Canuck ? 17,000 ?? Wow that's a lot for a web petition ---- NOT
    Their all scientists and I don't think you sign it online thats just a list.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    I already told you to disregard anything I say.

    Lets end this stupid argument anyway, we kinda spammed up this thread(or at least I did).
    It's not a stupid argument at all. I'm trying to convince you for your sake. If you're inviting people to disregard what you say, you obviously don't have a lot of confidence in what you're saying (for good reason). I am not solving anything to do with climate change by engaging in this debate with you, but hopefully I can get you to understand more of the problem so you can actually be realistic about it.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    True North
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    It's not a stupid argument at all. I'm trying to convince you for your sake. If you're inviting people to disregard what you say, you obviously don't have a lot of confidence in what you're saying (for good reason). I am not solving anything to do with climate change by engaging in this debate with you, but hopefully I can get you to understand more of the problem so you can actually be realistic about it.
    I should just come out and say, no matter what is happening, I don't really care. Mabye I would if it wasn't thrown at me everyday but I'm sick of it.

    Sorry to you for engaging in a half assed "debate" but w/e hopefully your opinion of me isn't as bad as I assume

    One more note: why was it called "global warming" for the better part of 2-3 years then suddenly changed to "climate change?" Perhaps ice storms in Texas did it? Doesn't make them look very credible whether their right or wrong does it?

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    One more note: why was it called "global warming" for the better part of 2-3 years then suddenly changed to "climate change?" Perhaps ice storms in Texas did it? Doesn't make them look very credible whether their right or wrong does it?
    Again, this isn't anyone's fault, it's just your misinterpretation of what happened. Both are correct. Global warming exists because the average overall temperature of the planet is rising. Climate change is just a better term to use because the term "global warming" is misleading for those who don't understand the issue. I'd guess that "climate change" is being used more frequently now because the issue has become much more mainstream, and thus there are more people at risk to confusion.

    My opinion of you is not bad at all. You have the persistance to keep up with the debate, which leads me to believe you at least partially care. Caring is pretty important at this point. If the future brings a lot of awful shit for us to deal with, you're not going to feel very good about being one of those people who didn't care. I'm telling you for everyone's sake. There's no benefit to ignorance; knowledge is understanding.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 02-09-2007 at 03:49 PM.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    True North
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    is misleading for those who don't understand the issue.
    Like me

    There's no benefit to ignorance
    Bliss? Well I care...but not enough to worry about it.

    Also I'd rather see pollution from factories reduced rather then sueing car companies, Damn you California.
    Last edited by The_Canuck; 02-09-2007 at 03:51 PM.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Like me
    I must admit, I'm always impressed when someone actually has the balls to say this.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    True North
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I must admit, I'm always impressed when someone actually has the balls to say this.
    Keyboard Warrior

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,778
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Their all scientists and I don't think you sign it online thats just a list.
    Most of them have degrees.
    Course I had two chemists, a physicist and a geologist on my project teams over the years ..... writing software for distributed monitoring systems. Their criteria is iffy

    Also .... never one to take things at face value dug a little deeper based on the comment above ..... GO look at the breakdown by state and compare the numbers who signed in TEXAS versus other states. Might I suggest the "facts" are typically biased as much in this arena is by lobbyists and "lackeys"

    Always QUESTION the "facts" - even those that seem to agree with an opinion !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,778
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    One more note: why was it called "global warming" for the better part of 2-3 years then suddenly changed to "climate change?" Perhaps ice storms in Texas did it? Doesn't make them look very credible whether their right or wrong does it?
    "dumbing down"
    Says more about the credibility of the audience and the news delivery companies !!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •