Thread: Big Brother starts affecting cars

Big Brother starts affecting cars

It has been discussed for many years, but it seems that it is becoming a reality.
    BMW develops a prototype system that allows communication between a car and a satellite.

The car is "online" and can download songs, streaming radio, updates for the navigation system, weather reports and generally any type of digitally transfered data.

What worries me the most is that after a few years, the satellite will be able to monitor a car's speed and issue speeding tickets real time.

I understand that from a society's perspective, this is for the best, as it reduces road deaths to a minimum. But, I feel like I would be better of without it

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/0...19-502-ak-0000
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    It has been discussed for many years, but it seems that it is becoming a reality.
    BMW develops a prototype system that allows communication between a car and a satellite.

The car is "online" and can download songs, streaming radio, updates for the navigation system, weather reports and generally any type of digitally transfered data.

What worries me the most is that after a few years, the satellite will be able to monitor a car's speed and issue speeding tickets real time.

I understand that from a society's perspective, this is for the best, as it reduces road deaths to a minimum. But, I feel like I would be better of without it

Please BMW please stop with the technology...

Despite the technological advance, I'd prefer not to have this in any car I'm bound to own.
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

So basically BMW has invented the $60,000 wireless iPod.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    A bit expensive... for an iPod...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    It's the iCar, I guess...

But since there's no privacy, forget the i. Maybe it should be called the weCar, because we can all learn where someone went with his cars with the help of satellites.

Of course Microsoft would sue the weCar because it sounds like the Wii
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Monitoring speed doesn't bother me - we have racetracks and autobahns for those who have the need to travel really quickly.
    Far more worrying is the potential of the system to track our movements - that has consequences for one of the pillars of most western societies. That is the right to move about freely and unimpeded could be compromised.
    And that's not something I'd be happy about.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

It's the iCar, I guess...

But since there's no privacy, forget the i. Maybe it should be called the weCar, because we can all learn where someone went with his cars with the help of satellites.

Of course Microsoft would sue the weCar because it sounds like the Wii

I can see it now.

Z0MFG D4 Ub3r L33t H4x0r h4x mY B1mm3R!!!!!
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Monitoring speed doesn't bother me - we have racetracks and autobahns for those who have the need to travel really quickly.Far more worrying is the potential of the system to track our movements - that has consequences for one of the pillars of most western societies. That is the right to move about freely and unimpeded could be compromised.
    And that's not something I'd be happy about.
    I disagree. I frequently exceed the legal limit based on my state of alertness, road conditions, and traffic density(or lack there of). In other words. I wake up early, and I wake up ready for the day. I speed an fairly nice interstate, at 6am. No one else is on the road at that time. I would say that if I can exceed that limit and not endanger others, it's fine for me to do so.

Safe speed is a highly relative concept. A person(a cop) needs to make the final call.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Whoever thought this was a good idea deserves to die a horrible, horrible death.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

It's not a case of in a few years time, it's possible now, and is being proposed to be brought in in the UK
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    I disagree. I frequently exceed the legal limit based on my state of alertness, road conditions, and traffic density(or lack there of). In other words. I wake up early, and I wake up ready for the day. I speed an fairly nice interstate, at 6am. No one else is on the road at that time. I would say that if I can exceed that limit and not endanger others, it's fine for me to do so.

Safe speed is a highly relative concept. A person(a cop) needs to make the final call.
    Its not the legal limit per say I'm talking about - that's abitary and country dependent. A safe speed is always open to some interpretation. However lets not forget we share the roads with others - from the completely incompetent to the highly skilled. There has to be some sort of limit.
    However, whatever the speed limit, if one breaks it and get caught one gets a fine. If one doesn't want to pay a fine, one shouldn't break the posted limits.
    I personally still maintain, the biggest problem with the technology is its ability to track individual movement. That is a far more worrying trend and philosophically, I'm opposed to government's tracking my movements and restricting my right to freedom of movement. The ability to use the technology to issue speeding fines is a side issue against the really important philosophical issue this technology raises.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 02-07-2007 at 03:43 PM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

I saw a demonstration where they read the time off a guys watch lying on the beach from a satellite. Big brother is watching!

I got on google earth and zoomed into my home. I can see my van.

Last edited by revetec; 02-06-2007 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revetec
    I saw a demonstration where they read the time off a guys watch lying on the beach from a satellite. Big brother is watching!

I got on google earth and zoomed into my home. I can see my van.

In my town, it is a bit more sharp. You can actually see my dad working outside on a bike

Thread Information