Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prodrive chief assures dealers over FPV's future

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    Alloy would be the go for the Boss engine and a stroke of about 3.5 inches so the thing will rev to 6500 instead of throwing a piston through the side.
    Youve actually pretty much described the 4.6, which IIRC has a square bore/stroke of about 3.55 inches...
    I am the Stig

think the 351 were the same stroke as well with a 4 inch bore, one of the sweetest V8's ever, they certainly never lacked torque and revved well.
    What would a 351 be like with alloy block, 4 valve heads and modern injection and engine management

Heres a list of the ford crate engines with basic specs
    http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/charts/217.pdf
    Last edited by charged; 02-07-2007 at 06:16 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Probably going to see in a few years, pretty sure a 5.8L version is part of the new Hurricane/BOSS V8 program coming out of the states. Ofcourse, its going to be a continuation of the 4.6/5.4 and not the equivalent of a modified 351 though.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    think the 351 were the same stroke as well with a 4 inch bore, one of the sweetest V8's ever, they certainly never lacked torque and revved well.
    What would a 351 be like with alloy block, 4 valve heads and modern injection and engine management
    The current AMC mag (with the linamint XU-1 cover) has a feature on locally assembled De Tomasos via Ken Matthews, which has some info on why final Cleveland engine manufacture continued on after the engine was dropped as an OE Ford option

Also included is this:
    Matthews put together a business case to take over Australian Cleveland V8 manufacture, believing there was a big enough market in marine and stationary applications, US performance and racing circles and De Tomaso supplies to keep it alive. To his dismay, he was too late. Ford informed him that all the Aussie Cleveland castings, tools and dies had been broken up only the day before!
    Other bits of interest include that Ford supplied Clevelands wholesale to Matthews for $1900, compared to the $11,000 asked from Holden for their EFI group A Holden V8. Also of "certain special-build Federal government cars from the post 1984 all-six cylinder XF/ZL Fairlane/FE LTD era that had also been fitted with Cleveland engines (without any mention of this on their build plates)". And for you boating types, Ford supplied 351s for .. "a particular 'Mercruiser' inboard-outboard marine unit revered in certain boat circles"

I like the Terra FPV pic, As i always been a fan of the Terra anyway.

I know holden can go to a lighter IRS set-up lighter materials etc, So then why can't the blade control be lighter also, If only in the FPV models.

Its a massive engineering effort, as youve basically got to redo all of the durability testing to ensure the new materials stand up to the abuse they'll get.
    I am the Stig

But this is something they could easily have been doing over the past 4-6 years for the Orion. It would be good if FPV and HSV had lighter cars then what ford and holden have in there stables.

Ahh but what if FPV started developing something to come out for 2008 back in 2002, just for Ford to make a major change around 2004? If it was a definite known that the IRS was going to remain unchanged, then they couldve started planning well in advance. Even some small geometry changes could throw the plan into chaos.
    I am the Stig

Then there communication would be bad, Unless Ford does it for FPV and hands it on as plan b?. We could do this and that but we will give that to you FPV first.

Thread Information