Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lotus Esprit Successor Spied

Lotus Esprit Successor Spied

These are the most recent pics of the Esprit successor.

Sources say that the engine is a BMW-sourced V-8 displacing in the range of 4.4-to-4.8 liters. The car is expected to spawn an open-top variant at some point, but at launch there will be the coupe only. It will cost in the region of $125,000.

If VW acquires Proton, then it could feature a high-revving RS4 dry-sumped V8.

It wouldn't affect R8 sales, as the R8 is a pure GT, while the Esprit successor is more like a GT3 competitor (Dr Wendelin reads the post and cancels the RS4 Esprit project )

http://news.windingroad.com/countrie...-lotus-esprit/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lightweight; 02-07-2007 at 10:53 AM.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

It's great to see those flying buttresses survive into the 21st century.

I'm excited about this car. With either the Audi or BMW V8, it's sure to have plenty of go for the money.

I'd almost given up on a new Esprit, but here's encouragement.
    I'm erudite ;-)

It's too early to say but so far it looks good, especially the back. Those exhausts remeber me of the late Detomaso Pantera.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Like Ferrer, it's hard to say it now w/ the camo and spied model, but I like it.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

All I can comment on is that I think it should have a high-output four pot. That's just me, and everyone seems to disagree.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

The UK Car magazine had some renderings of the car, which were really nice. It looked a bit like the Gallardo.

I am rather optimistic about the car.I really like the idea of a new Lotus. I am worried though about its weight. The Exige is almost 1000 kg, so I think that 1200 kg for the Esprit successor would be pretty unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    All I can comment on is that I think it should have a high-output four pot. That's just me, and everyone seems to disagree.
    There would be a problem called Exige...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    The UK Car magazine had some renderings of the car, which were really nice. It looked a bit like the Gallardo.

I am rather optimistic about the car.I really like the idea of a new Lotus. I am worried though about its weight. The Exige is almost 1000 kg, so I think that 1200 kg for the Esprit successor would be pretty unrealistic.
    For a Lotus, it was always a heavy car. It can be heavy and be an Esprit, and it may well be heavy. There's not much to go on...

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

The original Esprits took that route, when the sportscar map was rather different.

Nowadays, even if they fitted a turbo-4, the engine output would be around 300 hp (or it would be a NVH nightmare).

Using a I4 would reduce costs, but then you can't sell a GT3-911 Turbo-R8 competitor with a 4-pot. Why buy a 4-pot when you can have something WAY better for a bit more cash?

But your idea has some basis. I guess that Lotus could create a third model line (based on its VVA chassis architecture) and sell a Cayman competitor with a V6 or a turbo-4.

Now that would be a nice car!!

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    The original Esprits took that route, when the sportscar map was rather different.

Nowadays, even if they fitted a turbo-4, the engine output would be around 300 hp (or it would be a NVH nightmare).

Using a I4 would reduce costs, but then you can't sell a GT3-911 Turbo-R8 competitor with a 4-pot. Why buy a 4-pot when you can have something WAY better for a bit more cash?

But your idea has some basis. I guess that Lotus could create a third model line (based on its VVA chassis architecture) and sell a Cayman competitor with a V6 or a turbo-4.

Now that would be a nice car!!
    In my mind, a streetable Lotus needs a 4. It's just an opinion. I fear change, and don't think the V8 belongs in a road-going Lotus. If it performs like the GT3 or R8, then it's good enough and it doesn't need to have as many cylinders.

In my mind, a streetable Lotus needs a 4. It's just an opinion. I fear change, and don't think the V8 belongs in a road-going Lotus. If it performs like the GT3 or R8, then it's good enough and it doesn't need to have as many cylinders.
    I insist, the thing you're looking for is the Exige (or perhaps the Europa). I doubt there's enough room in the market for another sligthly different four cylinder Lotus. It wouldn't make economical sense for them.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I insist, the thing you're looking for is the Exige (or perhaps the Europa). I doubt there's enough room in the market for another sligthly different four cylinder Lotus. It wouldn't make economical sense for them.
    The Europa is a disgrace-lacks the character of a real Europa-and the Exige is quite hideous. I am thouroghly disapointed with Lotus. It would be nice to see a worthy competor to the Elise, Exige, an Europa, especially if it were a bit cheaper.

The Europa is a disgrace-lacks the character of a real Europa-and the Exige is quite hideous. I am thouroghly disapointed with Lotus. It would be nice to see a worthy competor to the Elise, Exige, an Europa, especially if it were a bit cheaper.
    I'm not saying they are worthy products. Perhaps the best Lotus could do is scrap all their current four cylinder range and redesign it into something actually appealing to someone other than handling freaks.
    Visca Catalunya!

In my mind [...] it doesn't need to have as many cylinders.
    The target group of these vehicles wants more cylinders, so for Lotus it does matter. That's why they put a V8 in it. Americans love V8's.

4-pots are not a marketable option for sportscars. I try to find the most expensive 4-pot car. Is it the SLK200 Kompressor? Maybe the TT?. It's about 50,000 Euros.

It wouldn't be a smart move for Lotus to sell a 100,000 + Euros 4-pot

I understand where you come from. You aim for lightweight and simplicity. Maybe an Elise is the car you are looking for.

After all the Elise nowadays is pretty similar to the Esprit of the 70's and 80's in terms of spec. Around 1000 kg and 200 hp.
    In fact the Elise is even faster!

A twin turbo V6 like in a Noble M400 would be an interesting engine...

Thread Information