Thread: Lotus In-Car Active Acousting Tailoring

Lotus In-Car Active Acousting Tailoring

The Lotus Engineering developed ICAAT system refers to technologies that aim at reducing NVH levels in the cabin.

The ICAAT is an integral system that combines three sub-systems, each one having different targets.

1. Engine Order Cancellation

Most engines emit low-frequency noises (50-250 Hz). This noise can be "cancelled" (not heard by human ear) if an appropriate frequency sound is used as a countermeasure. Lotus Engineering has developed a system that can emit noise through the sound system of the vehicle.

2. Road Noise Cancellation

This technology aims at reducing noise deriving from the friction between road and tyre. Again this noise is a low frequency one. The noise cancellation is again achieved via the sound system of the car. The system has achieved reducing 8-12dB.

3. Sound Synthesis

By using the sound system of the car, the system can alter the aural quality of the engine noise. A 4-pot can be made to sound like a V6 a V8 a V10 or a V12, at the touch of a button. In fact you can make your car sound like it's something else, like a Star Wars fighter.

Conclusion

Looks like a good idea for the next Elise. No weight penalty in order to get a V12 for the price of a 4-pot. Perception rules

Source:

www.just-auto.com/proactive-s3fg4.asp
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

why pay megabucks when you can achieve the same thing cheaply..

How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    why pay megabucks when you can achieve the same thing cheaply..
    Good point, but I want to hear the V10 behind my back

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    Good point, but I want to hear the V10 behind my back
    just make sure you're always followed by one then

I remember hearing about the engine noise thing before, ages ago. It struck me then as a very sad thing to have fitted to your, already quite nice, sports car

It struck me then as a very sad thing to have fitted to your, already quite nice, sports car
    Come on! Why it's a sad thing? It doesn't add weight! It's just a software add-on to your car, that enhances the experience.

Besides, the technology is not aimed only at sportscars, but on mainstream cars also. The reduction of NVH will sell Camrys and Benzes like hotcakes

Come on! Why it's a sad thing? It doesn't add weight! It's just a software add-on to your car, that enhances the experience.
    If you don't have the proper italian singing V12 it doesn't enhance the experience for me.
    Besides, the technology is not aimed only at sportscars, but on mainstream cars also. The reduction of NVH will sell Camrys and Benzes like hotcakes
    I reckon that will increase the number of speeding tickets.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

maybe for road noise/luxury applications... but to try to make your car sound like something else through the stereo is just pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    maybe for road noise/luxury applications... but to try to make your car sound like something else through the stereo is just pathetic.
    It's far more sophisticated than a music track playing through the CD.

The noise output responds in real time with the external acoustical stimuli, in order to make it sound right.

The plan is not to distinguish that it's not the actual engine you are listening to.

I don't see what's the problem if the final product can make the consumer's perception believe that it's a V12

This could be really good, as you could potentially reduce the amount of sound-deadening material needed in a car, reducing weight
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Go and play Play Station XBOX or something else to hear that noise if you want to hear artificial sound...

I heard this demonstrated about 15-20 years ago !!!!
    AS teh Lotus engineer drove along they switched the engine sound from 4-pot to V8. It was superb.
    Stricter noise emission limits are coming in EU ( and I presume the RoW at some time ).
    So cars are going to become soulless quiet transport - especially electrics
    A great way to return the aural enjoyment that they will miss.
    FOr me the smart sound-cancellation is a secondary
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I have been to a noise and vibration course. I was told that you don't want to cancel noises out, rather than even them out so not one stands out.

Here is some examples:
    If you cancel engine noise and road noise out, then windage and interior creeks and rattles stand out.

Get rid of rattles and wind noise then transmission noises are heard.

Cancel everything out and every time a car goes past you with a similar rev range or exhaust note, the sounds clash giving a resonance.

I was told that a balance of noise at an acceptable level to the occupants is best.

This is what was taught at the course. It kind of makes sense. Anyone elses thoughts on this?

its a sad (as in geeky) thing because despite your car sounding like a v8/12 it won't go like one, or feel like one, or respond like one. You'll be some lonely man in a corsa listening to the sound of your fake engine.

give me a decent stereo and some good honest music anyday.

its a sad (as in geeky) thing because despite your car sounding like a v8/12 it won't go like one, or feel like one, or respond like one. You'll be some lonely man in a corsa listening to the sound of your fake engine.
    Well given that Lotus' first research on this then the answer to that is NO.
    It was in recognition that modern noise emission standards forced manufacturers to remove the distinctive sounds of their vehicles and add additional muffling in the exhaust and intakes.
    So for a Ferrari, Lotus, Maserati, Lambo, etc etc to continue to evoke aural pleasure then this was suggested.

However, no doubt the chavs would get a hold of it and yes, Corsa's would turn up with them But no reasons not to want it ... after all K&N and free-flowing exhaust helps a performance car deliver. No reason not to want them just because idiots will apply them in different ways

There is no better sound than the symphony of a Ferrari or the bass-beat of a Viper
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information