Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol Vs. Whiskey

scotch, irish, canadian, bourbon. doesn't matter. its all tasty.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

oh and different petrols have different additives and methods employed to get to the required RON ratings. THIS one I expected you woudl have known given your current acitivies So you will find different aromatics and mix of light and heavy petroleum. In general it only requres a small percentage of final-stage additives to create these alternatives. ( BP Grangemouth is our local and produces petrol for MANY companies .... the difference being the additives Mate worked there for 20 years and I've had "the tour" !!
    #
    Just for your information: Even though it is believed that an increase by 1 RON produces 1% more engine efficiency, A current affairs program had for identical camrys and filled them up with Premium/Standard Unleaded/5% ethanol/10% ethanol.

They ran the camrys under the same conditions and speeds. The premium fuelled car ran out first. The Standard unleaded car ran out 30km later, The 5% ethanol car drove a further 40km and the 10% ethanol car ran out 30km after the 5% one did. So Premium and being more dense and producing more power is correct? Because in the tests it was the worst.

Anyway, changing the RON or octane rating is mainly used for higher compression ratio engines to stop them detonating allowing you to increase the engine's ignition timing.

It was proved by our motoring association (NRMA) that so called better quality fuels don't deliver more mileage and/or efficiency in there test with the late model camrys. So the Grangemouth fuel provided the poorest taste.
    Last edited by revetec; 02-12-2007 at 12:25 AM.

I can give you a list of excellent REAL single malts to expose your palette to the full range of the best
    I hope you consider my personal favorite: Laphroaig, to be worthy of that list
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by revetec View Post
    Just for your information: Even though it is believed that an increase by 1 RON produces 1% more engine efficiency, A current affairs program had for identical camrys and filled them up with Premium/Standard Unleaded/5% ethanol/10% ethanol.

They ran the camrys under the same conditions and speeds. The premium fuelled car ran out first. The Standard unleaded car ran out 30km later, The 5% ethanol car drove a further 40km and the 10% ethanol car ran out 30km after the 5% one did. So Premium and being more dense and producing more power is correct? Because in the tests it was the worst.

Anyway, changing the RON or octane rating is mainly used for higher compression ratio engines to stop them detonating allowing you to increase the engine's ignition timing.

It was proved by our motoring association (NRMA) that so called better quality fuels don't deliver more mileage and/or efficiency in there test with the late model camrys. So the Grangemouth fuel provided the poorest taste.
    did they re-map the ECUs to deal with the Ethanol. On the MINI they have had a lot of problems with a loss of power and fuel economy after the ethanol switch. the readings from the O2 sensor are significantly different, and the ECU doesn't have the programming to recognize the difference. so it ends up dumping too much gas into the cylinder causing the lower mileage, and it ends up bogging down the engine. so i have found that i get better power and mileage if i go to midgrade. lower octane, but also less ethanol, so better all around.

I quoted from the dictonary...where are you quoting from? .....The Scottish Whisky Bible?
    For some reason I'd trust the "Scottish Whisky Bible" in this case, they might be biased but the odds are they'd know what they're talking about.
    Top range Whiskies such as Johnny Walker
    After reading this I smiled through the rest of the post, it was hard to take it seriously.
    By the way......I love French Champagne myself.
    Saying French Champagne hurts my eyes, just like someone would say Italian Ferrari etc like there was alternatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    scotch, irish, canadian, bourbon. doesn't matter. its all tasty.
    A matter of taste. Well, you can't make Irish Coffee without Irish Whiskey. (not that I'm too fond of it anyway) I've heard that there are some really good Canadian and Japanese whiskies, strongly holding on to the Scottish tradition and roots, but I've yet to taste them in person. And well, Bourbon is cheap. Besides if you're mixing whisky/whiskey based drinks, using the finer single malts would just feel plain wrong.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

How good is the ECU at remapping for different fuels ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    I hope you consider my personal favorite: Laphroaig, to be worthy of that list
    ONe of mine too.
    Lovely strong peaty taste, not everyones preference.
    Try the "quarter cask" if you can find it ..... the sweetnes and smoothness is enhanced AND the peaty kick is stronger. I swear it keeps switching flavours in your mouth
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

They were all identical cars. The average bloke isn't going to remap everytime they fill up at the tank.

thats true, but the ecu can know to remap itself. the mini's doesn't, so the ethanol just makes it worse.

I know how ECUs compensate. Normally the knock sensor allows the timing to increase due to higher octane fuel. But the Premium fuel which you would think would be less likely to detonate so the timing would increase. You would think that the economy would be better, but it wasn't. Note: the Camrys did have Knock sensors.

They were all identical cars. The average bloke isn't going to remap everytime they fill up at the tank.
    yeah most don't have a spare laptop and interface
    No I meant the auto remapping that most ECUs can do within a small range.
    WIth a smart ECU and sensors it would be possible to ensure optimisation.

I know how ECUs compensate. Normally the knock sensor allows the timing to increase due to higher octane fuel. But the Premium fuel which you would think would be less likely to detonate so the timing would increase. You would think that the economy would be better, but it wasn't. Note: the Camrys did have Knock sensors.
    Engines that use petrol direct injection (FSI,GDI,bmw DI etc) actively vary injection timing/duration depending on how the fuel behaves under compression, therefore taking advantage of higher octanes...dont they?
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Engines that use petrol direct injection (FSI,GDI,bmw DI etc) actively vary injection timing/duration depending on how the fuel behaves under compression, therefore taking advantage of higher octanes...dont they?
    So why did the Premium fuel do the worst mileage?

Has there been similar tests anywhere else showing the difference in mileage from fuel to fuel? Can anyone post results if any?

So why did the Premium fuel do the worst mileage?
    Because it gave better performance
    Has there been similar tests anywhere else showing the difference in mileage from fuel to fuel? Can anyone post results if any?
    Optimax used to cite it improved because of the detergent additive cleaning the vavlves, stems and bores. Not sure of any full figures test tho' But British Advertising Standards is one of the strongest, so someday must have
    I notice that the reaplcement V-power really pushes the cleaning aspect of things !!! http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...s_ga_1608.html

Because it gave better performance
    If it did, then you can close the accelerator slightly more and you would expect better mileage.

Thread Information