Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GTI beats an rx8? prove it

GTI beats an rx8? prove it

this may be a stupid question and if racing threads are not permitted i am truely sorry, but my friend is convinced that his 20th edition VW GTI. Beat a 6spd rx8 by two cars. given that he has an apr chip and a diverter valve, (which brings him from 180 to 215-220hp) seeing as the rx8 has 238hp and has way better handling then the gti (there are not alot of long straight stretches around where he drives) i find this story hard to believe. i suggested that maybe the other driver sucked. (because it doesnt matter what hp you make, if you cant shift, anything will beat you) he then told me that he knew the guy, and he shifts just fine, and he didnt mess up.

is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by RxSpeed
    this may be a stupid question and if racing threads are not permitted i am truely sorry, but my friend is convinced that his 20th edition VW GTI. Beat a 6spd rx8 by two cars. given that he has an apr chip and a diverter valve, (which brings him from 180 to 215-220hp) seeing as the rx8 has 238hp and has way better handling then the gti (there are not alot of long straight stretches around where he drives) i find this story hard to believe. i suggested that maybe the other driver sucked. (because it doesnt matter what hp you make, if you cant shift, anything will beat you) he then told me that he knew the guy, and he shifts just fine, and he didnt mess up.

is this possible?
    Anything like this is possible, with such an extensive amount of variables. However, keep in mind that in general, I'd say around 80% of the time when people brag about street racing, it's a complete and utter lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Anything like this is possible, with such an extensive amount of variables. However, keep in mind that in general, I'd say around 80% of the time when people brag about street racing, it's a complete and utter lie.
    very true, but if someone told you this, would you call bs?

Personally I wouldn't call BS, as Egg Nog already pointed out there are way to many variables that factor in. These cars are very closely matched the RX having the edge in HP but the VW in torque.

In a street race anything can happen, a slight advantage at the light, the other driver shifting a few RPM too soon, one of the engines running a bit cooler than the other, and the all important "testicular factor" who has the cajones to keep their foot into it longer.

The only way to offer up real proof is to meet up at a dragstrip, that timeslip is proof to anyone that on that day - with everything else being equal - you were the faster car, the next run might tell a different story, but when you win you win and no one(?) ever brags about losing.

BTW: I do not condone street-racing - been there, done that and will carry the mental scars forever. Keep it on the track, where the only person you may endanger is yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by RxSpeed
    very true, but if someone told you this, would you call bs?
    Yes, I would, but I suppose it would depend on the person. There's people that I know that would never lie to me about stuff like that, and there's also people (who drive Gold Riced-out civics) that spew BS constantly. Anyway, it seems pretty doubtful that those modifications would yield 40hp. Regardless, with any decent driver, I'm sure the RX-8 could've won, but who knows? It may have been a bare-bones RX-8 with an automatic tranny and a horrible driver.

I can't really make too much of a judgement, because I don't know the person you're talking about. I suppose that's your call

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    Personally I wouldn't call BS, as Egg Nog already pointed out there are way to many variables that factor in. These cars are very closely matched the RX having the edge in HP but the VW in torque.

In a street race anything can happen, a slight advantage at the light, the other driver shifting a few RPM too soon, one of the engines running a bit cooler than the other, and the all important "testicular factor" who has the cajones to keep their foot into it longer.

The only way to offer up real proof is to meet up at a dragstrip, that timeslip is proof to anyone that on that day - with everything else being equal - you were the faster car, the next run might tell a different story, but when you win you win and no one(?) ever brags about losing.

BTW: I do not condone street-racing - been there, done that and will carry the mental scars forever. Keep it on the track, where the only person you may endanger is yourself.
    yeah i know where your coming from with mental scars, the last time i raced the kid im talking about he crashed, and im convinced it should have been me.
    here are some pictures of what run through my mind everytime im at the line...
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/dom...45.html#cutid1

Cool

A GTi Golf MK4 beating an RX8, that’s BS not possible in straight line the VW is a little heavy and has less power, as for handling I don’t know the GTi Golf since the beginning has been know for is super handling. The Mk4 Golf GTi should never be compared to a RX8, they are two different car that are in different classes. Really the Golf that should have been compared with the RX8 is the R32, and I think the R32 would win.

Quote Originally Posted by SPN:DOC
    A GTi Golf MK4 beating an RX8, that’s BS not possible in straight line the VW is a little heavy and has less power, as for handling I don’t know the GTi Golf since the beginning has been know for is super handling. The Mk4 Golf GTi should never be compared to a RX8, they are two different car that are in different classes. Really the Golf that should have been compared with the RX8 is the R32, and I think the R32 would win.
    I think you should re-read this thread.

I hate it when people talk about street races. As Nog says, most of the time people are feeding you a hairy load of crap, and as No One said, street racing is dangerous and irresponsible, and when things go bad they tend to in the worst possible way. Actually No One, kudos on that post. There are a lot of young guys on this page who don't drive yet, or have only just started, and positive reinforcement like yours may serve to make them more safety conscious, and therefore better drivers.
    That depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is - US President Bill Clinton

Well i have grown up going to the drag strip andf the race track and very strongly dislike street racing and like the idea of racing with iofficials paramedics fire crew and other such things. But im aggreing fully here when people say NoOne Sharing his experiances can only make the younger people here realise it just isnt cool.

Being a recent owner of a semi-fast car, I haven't had the experience of the street race...and, after what happened to my friend's Civic SI about 2 weeks ago I don't think I ever will be. Its hard when you have some redneck in a IROC-Z revving his ragged out old engine at looking at you, but so far I've kept discretion in mind. Plus i love my Eclipse (97, 46,000 miles, $6500, can't beat it) and I don't want all the asthetic mods and customizations i'm putting into it to go to waste.

Anyway, back to the story: I have a friend with a highly tuned Civic SI (It runs around 13.5 at the track), complete with turbo, cold air injection, and all that junk. Anyway, some kid in a souped-up Neon was trying to get him to race him on the highway here. Of course, being "the best driver he knows", he has to do it. I get out of the car and sit and watch...his Civic completely smoked that Neon, but then ended up blowing a tire, rolling onto the roof, skidding on the concrete median (Yes, on the carbon fiber roof he just spent over a grand getting) and running into a traffic light post.

Fortunately he only broke his finger and got a couple stitches...but this just proves that street racing, whether you WIN or not, is the most idiotic waste of beautiful racing machinery and, more importantly, life...period.

[QUOTE=Jungleroom_x] (Yes, on the carbon fiber roof he just spent over a grand getting)[QUOTE] Carbon fibre roof for only 1k on somthing doesnt stack up there.

Carbon fibre roof for only 1k on somthing doesnt stack up there.
    Falcon, in all fairness, he said over a grand
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 02-15-2004 at 02:40 PM.

Falcon, in all fairness, he said over a grand
    Wasn't my roof. Honestly have never looked into a carbon fiber roof, for my car or anyone elses. All I know is he said it cost him, "over a grand, easy."

So uh, falcon...or mr. price guide, how much is a carbon fiber roof for a 1996 Civic Si?

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom_x
    Wasn't my roof. Honestly have never looked into a carbon fiber roof, for my car or anyone elses. All I know is he said it cost him, "over a grand, easy."
    He was probably telling a lie.

Thread Information