Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini AWD in 2008

Mini AWD in 2008

Mini will be launching several variations of the popular small car over the next five years, including the possibility of cars fitted with a new AWD system being developed for the upcoming Clubman/Countryman. German magazine Auto Motor und Sport has published the statement, “an all-wheel drive system will be available in 2008 for all models,” at the end of an article about the new stretched Mini in its latest issue.

It would make sense that if an AWD system was developed for the R56 based Clubman, it could be transferred to Mini’s other models but we’re still not sure of this. During a recent interview with several Mini executives, fan site Motoring File were told “there will be an important new production every year for the next four to five years.” This could mean AWD models or even the possibility of a performance division.

Source:

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/m...ng-awd-option/

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/...-mini-in-2008/
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Pointless, in my opinion.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I happen to like this idea...I think it'd keep more SUV's out of the wrong hands (soccer moms on cell phones). If I'm not doing off-roading, I'd much rather have a smaller car for the inclement weather than an SUV. AWD handles inclement weather better than 4x4, too. Leave SUV's to the big boys, and please give us straight axles back instead of the independent front and rear sissification they're all getting now
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Pointless, in my opinion.
    i agree. it can only add more wieght to the already portly mini.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    i agree. it can only add more wieght to the already portly mini.
    And reduce the boot to none at all, increase the fuel consumption, reduce the perfomance...

The Mini already already is good handling car, leave it as is.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    and please give us straight axles back instead of the independent front and rear sissification they're all getting now
    a multi-link suspension allows better ride and handling. why do you want torsion beams, thats what the UK civic is criticised for.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    a multi-link suspension allows better ride and handling. why do you want torsion beams, thats what the UK civic is criticised for.
    I think he was refering to SUVs.
    Visca Catalunya!

I happen to like this idea...I think it'd keep more SUV's out of the wrong hands (soccer moms on cell phones). If I'm not doing off-roading, I'd much rather have a smaller car for the inclement weather than an SUV. AWD handles inclement weather better than 4x4, too. Leave SUV's to the big boys, and please give us straight axles back instead of the independent front and rear sissification they're all getting now
    ok gotcha - sorry. I sort of agree too. The dedicated choice is live coil sprung axles. The disco/rrs platform has pretty cever double wishbones all round - It was the only way it could compete with the competition.
    autozine.org

Leave SUV's to the big boys, and please give us straight axles back instead of the independent front and rear sissification they're all getting now
    The kind of all-independant sissification as seen in military vehicles like (Oz Army) ASLAVs & Bushmasters, the Hummer H1, Pingauzer, Haflinger, Austin Champ etc?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by nota
    The kind of all-independant sissification as seen in military vehicles like (Oz Army) ASLAVs & Bushmasters, the Hummer H1, Pingauzer, Haflinger, Austin Champ etc?
    You're quite right, it can work, and those vehicles prove it. But: most automakers aren't going to bother to put that kind of effort into it. Look at what Chevy or Ford is putting on its 4x4's these days...not the stuff of legend. At least Ford's old Twin I-Beam front was a decent compromise, but you still see a lot of guys building these with solid axle swaps.
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-08-2007 at 04:30 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I know what you mean jcp, was just enjoying having a cheap random shot at ya mate

I've had a couple of Effo's (F-series) myself, both I-Beam and non so I'm not unpartial to 'em either. Twin I-Beam was a novel compromise but I think I've already mentioned to you of the tendancy in certain conditions for them to pop their coil springs clean out of the chassis this happened to a mate of mine at 70mph

[/back to awd Minis]

An AWD mini would make an awesome rally car... if a bit small.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    An AWD mini would make an awesome rally car... if a bit small.
    Only if it had controllable diffs.
    Remember that an AWD tends to understeer on the rough stuff.
    And with such a short wheelbase it's debatable whether you could successfully flick it on entry for fast exit.
    Think 6R4 with the engine in the wrong place --- unless they are going to do a Clio rip-off hmmmmmmm I like it already

Would be interesting to see how they would deliver it.
    I've always wondered if anyone was taking Yamaha's solution fro 2WD off-road motorbike and apply it to cars
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I've always wondered if anyone was taking Yamaha's solution fro 2WD off-road motorbike and apply it to cars
    What was the Yamaha solution?

Actually, they're thinking about a new Moke. Take a look at the new Motortrend, Future Shock. I think it looks horrible.

Thread Information