Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All Wheel drive better than Rear wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Tihomir
    All race cars are not RWD, Rally cars are almost exclusively AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    unless you plan on going off road, AWD is in a lot of cases a redundant
    thanks captain obvious
    And all the examples you submitted are on the upper high edge of automotive technology, where acceleration is one of the features that is necessary.
    the examples are also a lot about handling too.
    For any level of driving below the profesional circuit, AWD is king.
    define professional circuit. in amateur track days and sprints most of the people drive RWD sports cars, AWD is definately the minority, and definately not near the front of th epack either.... hell, i drive a fwd in autocross.
    AWD is king.
    less skilled drivers may find AWD king, yes.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

But what about the AWD systems that have a 20-80 power distribution. Those seem like the best of both worlds. They have the regular RWD feel, while being able to shift to a power distribution more suitable for fine handling.
    Such a rear bisaed 4WD system is pointless in my opinion. You've got all the disadvantages of 4WD (higer fuel consumption, high transmission loses) with none of the advantages (traction)...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Sure, tires play a major point in handling, but comparing handling between AWD and RWD, AWD has the upper hand. And as someone stated earlier in this thread, RWD is only good for drifting, oh and for a faster acceleration.

EDIT: The AWD in almost any form serves to further the handling of the car, often to a level unatainable by Traction Cotrol.
    Last edited by Tihomir; 02-09-2007 at 12:21 AM.

Sure, tires play a major point in handling, but comparing handling between AWD and RWD, AWD has the upper hand. And as someone stated earlier in this thread, RWD is only good for drifting, oh and for a faster acceleration.

EDIT: The AWD in almost any form serves to further the handling of the car, often to a level unatainable by Traction Cotrol.
    AWD losses in transmission are larger than RWD. SO if you compare cars with smae power then the AWD is slower.
    In cornering an RWD will corner in most cases on good surface faster.
    THe benefit AWD is that it is easier to be "fast" than in a comparable RWD.
    Hence lots of wannabees buy AWD Scoobies and Evos
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

car bias aside...i think Matra is correct. It takes me back to the M3 vs S4 argument. There is also a difference in car personalities. I notivce that Rwd appears in cars designed from the start to be drivers cars. Awd cars generally arise out of mutli-purpose chassis (except pure bread offroaders). Ie audis, lancer, many C-segment hatchs - they all existed with Fwd then had a prop thrown to the rear axle to make it 4wd. Trouble is these cars still have the problems of a front heavy car - understeer (this is corrected in some cars by clever suspension or electronic intervention - but ultimately removes you from a true relationship with the road). Therefore unless Awd is talking you off road or your happy with your unflexible racing line, Awd is digging itself a hole to match its rwd competition. if some quattro etc.. fanboys are going to disagree please say why
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    AWD losses in transmission are larger than RWD. SO if you compare cars with smae power then the AWD is slower.
    In cornering an RWD will corner in most cases on good surface faster.
    THe benefit AWD is that it is easier to be "fast" than in a comparable RWD.
    Hence lots of wannabees buy AWD Scoobies and Evos
    Not to forget AWD systems cost a lot more to manufacture. This is the real reason why there are not too many around at the moment.

Plus dont forget all the extra work for those poor designers, they'll loose all their coffee breaks

Tihomir is a AWD fan boy...basically if your a true petrol head you will always prefer RWD simply because its faster, the driver is in control and most importantly its much lighter.. whereas if you live in the alps you will always prefer AWD...
    Last edited by Clique; 02-09-2007 at 04:49 AM.
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

RWD is always better in Richmond, we don't get enough bad weather to really need AWD. I think AWD is dead weight if your engine doesn't have an absurd amount of power. So basically the Veyrons in the world are the only ones that truly need AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    RWD is always better in Richmond, we don't get enough bad weather to really need AWD. I think AWD is dead weight if your engine doesn't have an absurd amount of power. So basically the Veyrons in the world are the only ones that truly need AWD.
    in that case fwd is fine here as long as the weather is fine. it represents the most efficient way to economise and maximise passenger space. Its an institution in budget Europe.
    autozine.org

I personally like AWD for it's safety. The main draw-backs have been mentioned already.

RWD is better when it comes down to it.

AWD is safer.

Still doesn't mean that I am not going to keep asking my friend to let me drive his EVO IX
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Hmm... funny how noone mentioned understeer in AWDs.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I know the creator of this thread very well come to think of it. He's sleeping 5 feet away from me.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I know the creator of this thread very well come to think of it. He's sleeping 5 feet away from me.
    He made you sleep on the couch again didn't he?
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    He made you sleep on the couch again didn't he?
    Easy cowboy, don't get any ideas.

Tihomir is actually my roomate at school. He told/tells me that AWD is better than RWD when it comes up in conversation, so I told him to post it up here.. for the hell of it.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

AWD does add weight, as does RWD over FWD, but it does have its advantages. The main one being traction; you can mash the accelerator at any time and AWD will claw its way through, especially noticeable in tight corners while climbing. Seems a ham-fisted way to go fast, but in a more powerful car transfering power with four instead of two wheels makes for a lot less intrusive TCS (Traction Control System). For the most part TCS would be enough to make RWD behave in low traction conditions.

The Veyron, Gallardo, and 911 Turbo all tame massive horsepower with AWD. For cars with less power where harnessing the power is the main goal, the advantage is confidence in incliment whether.

The AWD disadvantages; vague steering, added weight, increased fuel consumption, and added maintenance (if limited to diff oil changes).

Overall, I prefer RWD for its simpler setup and purer driving experience. It's the better system for sports cars, if based on steering feel alone. Still, for a do-it-all vehicle, AWD provides an extra margin or safety.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information