Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All Wheel drive better than Rear wheel

FWD with open diff > all.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    Hmm... funny how noone mentioned understeer in AWDs.
    i did..read back
    autozine.org

it is also a lot easier to correct a car's path with RWD than AWD, in case of understeering.

read an article awhile back, on a skidpad, 3 cars (FF,FR,and AWD) have very similar performance (G's). then when the car starts to skid out, they've shown that it's much easier to steer a RWD car back than AWD or FWD. in FWD there's almost no response to correction, and AWD is only slightly better than FWD

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827
    it is also a lot easier to correct a car's path with RWD than AWD, in case of understeering.

read an article awhile back, on a skidpad, 3 cars (FF,FR,and AWD) have very similar performance (G's). then when the car starts to skid out, they've shown that it's much easier to steer a RWD car back than AWD or FWD. in FWD there's almost no response to correction, and AWD is only slightly better than FWD
    to correct an FWD car you only have to lift, if you do that abruptly it will loose its back and you have to correct it like a RWD car.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It's obvious that, in terms of daily driving AWD and even RWD is redundant because of economic reasons for both driver and the companies. Still only exclusive companies manifacture RWD cars. Excluding cold weather and some extremes like living on a mountain or working in a farm...

In professional driving, my guess is, it depends on the conditions where you race(i don't mean amateur or professional tracks? what kind of distinction is it anyways) The surface, the tires, and the weather etc. As some of you stated the same way above.

But there is a certain truth about asphalt surface, even the cars with most powerful engines and most advanced technology ( I mean Formula1, DTM, LeMans, any single seaters etc.) is RWD. I think it's not even open to arguement.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827

It's more related to what car your driving. According to MC2 (Mini magazine), MINI states that up to 300hp and 300Nm, MINI CooperS responds to every movement on the steering wheel on ideal conditions (dry surface, 25 degrees Celcius temperature and approved tires). That means you can correct your path or whatever you call it even it is a FWD

Quote Originally Posted by yalim10
    But there is a certain truth about asphalt surface, even the cars with most powerful engines and most advanced technology ( I mean Formula1, DTM, LeMans, any single seaters etc.) is RWD. I think it's not even open to arguement.
    I'm not sure though, but I think the extra weight and the extra chance to break down, is the main reason. Imagine a F1 car with AWD,wondering where they'd put the axle

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    to correct an FWD car you only have to lift, if you do that abruptly it will loose its back and you have to correct it like a RWD car.
    Not all hatchbacks do this. The clio 197 does it excelenlty as you can dee on autocar podcasts.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    I'm not sure though, but I think the extra weight and the extra chance to break down, is the main reason. Imagine a F1 car with AWD,wondering where they'd put the axle
    so there was the McLaren M9 AWD, the Lotus 56 and of course the Ferguson that started the trend, and actually won an F1 race (in the rain...) The axle was put besides the driver, just like many front engined F1 cars had in the past...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Stop yelling at me.
    oh men! i just love the man to man sensitivity in this forum.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123
    oh men! i just love the man to man sensitivity in this forum.
    Rocke is all about man-to-man sensitivity.

so there was the McLaren M9 AWD, the Lotus 56 and of course the Ferguson that started the trend, and actually won an F1 race (in the rain...) The axle was put besides the driver, just like many front engined F1 cars had in the past...
    Way before my time... My knowledge on that period of f1 is pretty much not-existent The 80's and onward is my time

I'd be pretty interested in any pictures of the solutions they made. Do you have any in your collection ?
    Last edited by drakkie; 02-09-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Deliberately ingoring the Matra MS84 just to upset me
    It was a pig, like the rest of them, but managed a sixth in Canada driven by Servoz-Gavin the only F1 World Championship driver to score a point.
    Moss' win at Oulton was the Gold Cup race for F1 cars
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'd be pretty interested in any pictures of the solutions they made. Do you have any in your collection ?
    There's an excellent book on the devleopment ( and demise ) of the 4WD F1 cars.
    If you want some specifics and pics I can easily scan bits. But not the hundreds of pages to post it all
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ferguson P99 Climax
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Thread Information