Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prius and other Hybrids

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But my god it's ugly and bland...
    It's a gorgeous car, black GS = ultimate mafia ride!
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    It's a gorgeous car, black GS = ultimate mafia ride!
    I think you're wrong there. Black Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG with tinted windows is the ultimate mafia ride...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think this is the Ultimate Mafia ride....Chrysler 300C

I don't think hybrids are that smart.

They are a great money spinner for their manufacturers, no doubt, as they can con people into thinking they are somehow significantly "greener" than any other car, and thankfully for them enough people seem to be stupid enough to fall for it.

It seems like a substandard answer to a question no one really asked.

What have you got, at the end of it, besides a car that has the disadvantages of both conventional ICE, and "electric" power, and few of the advantages?

You are near enough doubling the drive train, and adding all of the electronic control systems and computing power that fuses the two drive trains - weight, cost, complexity all soars. It doesn't sound like a well thought through plan to me.

With the small %age increase in fuel economy and reduction of pollution at source, you are not counteracting all of the extra pollution created by the research, manufacture, shipment, etc of all the extra components needed for the hybrid components.

All you seem to end up with at the moment is an expensive, resource intensive, otherwise average vehicle, the main "claim to fame" of which is that it pollutes less; even that isn't true.

I can see that a hybrid would be better in heavy traffic areas in a big city, turning the engine off when stationary etc. but outside big cities they make little sense. i.e Would be mad to buy one here in Canberra, I can go 25km at 60-80kmh without having to stop once, and this is along busy arterial roads as well.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I rode in a Hybrid once, a first-gen Prius. It was pretty solidly built, bigger and better riding than you'd think, and pretty smooth and quiet.

It's not the be-all and end-all of vehicles, though. It'd take years to recoup the extra investment in gas savings, and the battery packs hardly make this a conservationist's dream. If you're really, exclusively interested in weaning yourself off oil, though - not an insignificant argument in and of itself - then that would be by far the strongest argument for one.

In the meantime, I think diesels are the best option until something better comes along.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    Personally I think that current hybrid trends and technology have already gotten the boot by the electric car.

Tesla Electric car that is. It has a high performance electric motor (whos torque curve puts anything revetec has made to shame )

0-60 in about 4 seconds
    250 miles per charge
    World beating well-to-wheel efficiency.
    And it is a sports car with great handling and good looks.

Something I could definately drive and be happy about.

250 miles per charge is not practical and feasible; thats why all the OEM's are supporting hybrid becuase it is the true solution to the existing problem. It is a bridging technology for the next 20-30 years until which time hydrogen fuel cell technology may become feasable.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    HAving driven the Prius - a considered purchase over a year ago - it is not bad in teh family-mover sense.
    It has reasonable pull and comfortable drive but some major drawbacks.
    Interior is very cheap and no sense of "well built" - they have worked too hard to reduce weight !
    THe transmission is set up for average 4 adults. So NO TOWING, and when asked about putting heavy items in the boot the salesmen got very cagey
    It used petrol engine !! Consumption and emissions no better overall than the diesels available.
    Very unapealling drive. Nothing badly wrong, but nothing great either.

As I said a reasonable people mover, but no real benefit in being "hybrid" except for tax and charges as JC says -- but add a $1 9v motor driving via an elastic band to a drive shaft or enging pulley as then it truly is hybrid ( typical Clarkson lack of understanding to think jsut hte battery is enough )
    The PRIUS has been designed as an entry level eco car for Toyota. It was a toe in the water program to see how it will work. Now, Toyota have eveyrthing from a Highlander and a Camry available as Hybrids (in USA market anyway).

The interesting point is that Hybrid can also have a serious performance edge. Try driving the GS460 or the RX400H. These cars have great fuel econopmy and unbelievable acceleration (thanks to the torque offered by the electric motors).

Toyota have shown that Hybrid can be fun and economical.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    I don't think hybrids are that smart.

They are a great money spinner for their manufacturers, no doubt, as they can con people into thinking they are somehow significantly "greener" than any other car, and thankfully for them enough people seem to be stupid enough to fall for it.

It seems like a substandard answer to a question no one really asked.

What have you got, at the end of it, besides a car that has the disadvantages of both conventional ICE, and "electric" power, and few of the advantages?

You are near enough doubling the drive train, and adding all of the electronic control systems and computing power that fuses the two drive trains - weight, cost, complexity all soars. It doesn't sound like a well thought through plan to me.
    With the small %age increase in fuel economy and reduction of pollution at source, you are not counteracting all of the extra pollution created by the research, manufacture, shipment, etc of all the extra components needed for the hybrid components.

All you seem to end up with at the moment is an expensive, resource intensive, otherwise average vehicle, the main "claim to fame" of which is that it pollutes less; even that isn't true.
    If you are right then everyone from Porsche to Merecedes Benz and GM must be wrong cause they have jumped on the band wagon; keep in mind that once the volume intensity of hyrbids increase the cost pe runit will decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by revetec View Post
    Oh Hightower...

So now you are going to compare engines with motors?

You may not know but Revetec has 50% marketing rights to a hybrid system technology. The electric wheel hub motors are 97% efficient and 98% efficient as used as a generator.

I actually ran seminars on our Hybrid system at the Automechanica show in China. It is fully tested and has been in production for many years in another transportation industry and it has been fitted to a Lotus for continued testing.
    This is a very interesting development Brad; your engine is already so far more advanced then a typical ICE that is tied up with Hybrid systems. Imagine having your CCE connnected to a hybrid platform, your fuel economy would be a serious threat to Toyota's Synergy drive technology, plus with the weight advantage of your engine and packaging... Giddy up

Also, if you developed a diesel hybrid set-up (such as Citroen's system) your engine would cater for both markets..

That is great news!!!

Thread Information