Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel consumption problem

Fuel consumption problem

I seem to be getting stupidly low figures for consumption regarding my engine. The 1.1 on the 206 should be able to get around 55-60mpg, but recently I've been getting around 31- and that's not driving like a total nutter. I generally shift around 3,000rpm, and keep speed as constant as possible. A friend of mine gets 450 miles to a tank (same size) for his 1994 1.4 8v Astra, another friend gets about 270 miles to a tank for his MX-5. But my car seems to have an inability to get above 330 miles to a tank. Any help would be appreciated...

Is it still running ok? No spark leads loose? No fuel leaks? Slipping clutch, bald tyres?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Same sort of thing here, I haven't been able to calculate MPG for my car as my parents frequently borrow it (it's the biggest car in the family) but I don't seem to be able to get very far on a tank.

I drive a 2004 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4i16v Twinport SXi 3-door with a close ratio gearbox (standard on the SXi) and should, according to manufacturer figures be able to achieve ~47 mpg. I suspect it's nowhere near. I often change at around 2,500 rpm (which is low for a petrol), unless I'm in the mood for some "Evo" style driving. I have noticed though that my car idles at just 600rpm. Don't know whether that's good or bad, but it's doing about ~3,600rpm at 70 in 5th on the motorway.

On a positive note, the brochure quotes a 10.5 0-60 and 112 mph max. I've had 115mph with just over 1,000 revs left before the redline.

Oh yeah, if this helps, my car's stats: 994kgs, 1389cc 4-cyl inline 16v (Twinport injection model). 89BHP @5,600rpm and 92lb/ft at 3,800 rpm. 5-speed close ratio 'box.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    On a positive note, the brochure quotes a 10.5 0-60 and 112 mph max. I've had 115mph with just over 1,000 revs left
    Don't get too excited about that, probably an innaccurate speedo. Basically no speedos are 100% accurate, and this gets exaggerated at high speed
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Don't get too excited about that, probably an innaccurate speedo. Basically no speedos are 100% accurate, and this gets exaggerated at high speed
    Well, the good part was the 1krpm left still to exploit. It was still pulling well with the revs at about 5,200 rpm, which is still below peak power. It was the road conditions and the fact my exit was coming up that forced me to back-off.

On a positive note, the brochure quotes a 10.5 0-60 and 112 mph max. I've had 115mph with just over 1,000 revs left before the redline.

Oh yeah, if this helps, my car's stats: 994kgs, 1389cc 4-cyl inline 16v (Twinport injection model). 89BHP @5,600rpm and 92lb/ft at 3,800 rpm. 5-speed close ratio 'box.
    Mother of God, and I thought der Uberwagen was slow... I've got more at the wheels than you do at the crank. Wanna race?

IWAARS, how many miles are on the car, when was the last time the fuel and air filters, plugs and wires were changed? Try changing where you fill up, and reset the ECU (disconnect the battery for a minute or two; there may be a relearn procedure for the throttle body and different sensors that you'd have to do after that, but most of the time that's just letting the car sit at idle for a few minutes). Modern engine computers learn driving styles (and the fuel to a certain degree) and resetting them, especially if you or someone else who drives it tends to have a heavy foot, may get you better mileage.

This is all assuming you're not driving like a moron and the CEL isn't on.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Mother of God, and I thought der Uberwagen was slow... I've got more at the wheels than you do at the crank. Wanna race?
    I'll race if you're on foot!

On a serious note, this is what happens in a country where the government ensure the cost of motoring takes the piss. If the car were insured under my name, my insurance would be £1,600 / $3,120.64 for one year!

That car is considered expensive and fast compared to most 18 year old's motors. Ask IWAARS6 for his performance figures. In fact compared to rivals, the Corsa 1.4 is amongst the fastest, joinging the Punto and Clio. The Fiesta and Polo are much slower. (12 odd seconds 0-60 for the Fiesta)

What engine's in "Der Uberwagen"? Figures?

When the price of fuel and other motoring costs in the states reaches what it is here, you'll all be quick to adopt 4-cyl diesels like we do in Europe. We just don't have the choice .

Your fuel prices (no matter how much you bitch about them) still take the piss out of ours, which are over twice as much. How many people would still be driving Yukons and F150s if the price of unleaded doubled?

ABA's (2.0L 8v) put out 115hp/122lb-ft stock. I found a dyno of stock wheel numbers. http://techtonicstuning.com/images/dyno/Dyno02.JPG

My new GTI will probably run me close to $3000 a year on insurance. But that's a 200whp turbo beast, so I think I'll deal with it.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

ABA's (2.0L 8v) put out 115hp/122lb-ft stock. I found a dyno of stock wheel numbers. http://techtonicstuning.com/images/dyno/Dyno02.JPG
    Yeah, you're comparing your 2.0 to my 1.4, if I'm only 25bhp behind the stock 2.0 GTi engine that's not too bad now is it, considering that my car's a standard supermini?

My new GTI will probably run me close to $3000 a year on insurance. But that's a 200whp turbo beast, so I think I'll deal with it.
    So you pay $3,000 for a 200WHP Golf GTi whilst I have to pay even more for a Corsa with less than half the power? Proving my point about the cost of motoring here.

Yeah, you're comparing your 2.0 to my 1.4, if I'm only 25bhp behind the stock 2.0 GTi engine that's not too bad now is it, considering that my car's a standard supermini?
    Your car weighs a lot less. Quitcherbitchin'.

So you pay $3,000 for a 200WHP Golf GTi whilst I have to pay even more for a Corsa with less than half the power? Proving my point about the cost of motoring here.
    Not my fault that Europe sucks.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Not my fault that Europe sucks.
    or alternatively your economy currently sucks in world terms.
    When it was $1.20 to the pound Clivey's bill comparison would have looked a LOT cheaper than $3000.
    The current chronic weakness of the dollar is making things overseas seem very expensive.
    But look on the bright side, it's cheap for us to buy US stuff. Within 30 days I will officially be a US landlord ... gotta take advantage of that weak $$ Anyone wanting long or short term rent in Orlanda drop me a line .... 0.5% discount for UCPers

But on the other side, insurance in the UK for under 25s has grown dramatically over the years as more and more "young folks" are able to afford and run the really fast cars and smash them up. So they now take the view that a new driver is almost certainly going to have an accident and penalise them financially in premiums. This is currently in front of the EU commision as unfair
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    I seem to be getting stupidly low figures for consumption regarding my engine. The 1.1 on the 206 should be able to get around 55-60mpg, but recently I've been getting around 31- and that's not driving like a total nutter. I generally shift around 3,000rpm, and keep speed as constant as possible. A friend of mine gets 450 miles to a tank (same size) for his 1994 1.4 8v Astra, another friend gets about 270 miles to a tank for his MX-5. But my car seems to have an inability to get above 330 miles to a tank. Any help would be appreciated...
    do you do lots of town driving? lots of short journeys? both very bad for fuel economy...

also quoted mpg figures are practically unmatchable in real world driving, from a 1.1 206 i reckons you'd get 45 tops
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    also quoted mpg figures are practically unmatchable in real world driving, from a 1.1 206 i reckons you'd get 45 tops
    That's true. Theoretically the Mini's average fuel consumption is about 8,5l/100km. I reckon realistically that the average fuel consumption is about 10l/100km.

By the way I once managed to see a 730km range in the car's computer display. That's about 455 miles. How can you do a 100miles less on every tank with your 206, Sam?

I was doing about 90km/h downhill in a Swiss motorway when I got that reading but that's a secret...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

IWAARS, how many miles are on the car, when was the last time the fuel and air filters, plugs and wires were changed? Try changing where you fill up, and reset the ECU (disconnect the battery for a minute or two; there may be a relearn procedure for the throttle body and different sensors that you'd have to do after that, but most of the time that's just letting the car sit at idle for a few minutes). Modern engine computers learn driving styles (and the fuel to a certain degree) and resetting them, especially if you or someone else who drives it tends to have a heavy foot, may get you better mileage.

This is all assuming you're not driving like a moron and the CEL isn't on.
    OK, we bought the car in August from a very dodgy dealer. Basically, we bought the car, and a week later our 3-month guarantee was up because he had upped sticks and ****ed off. Apparently has about 39,000 miles (not bad for a 7-year-old car), but the steering wheel wear and the fact that the old gaiter for the gearbox was worn to a nubbin could betray signs of clocking. I don't know about the fuel/air filters being changed, or the spark plugs.

I've been to about 5 different places for petrol, and there have been no notable exceptions in a change of consumption.

I had the ECU reset by my mechanic back when we had the engine management trouble.

And I don't drive that fast. On average, I'll really hammer it around 2 times a month, max.

My journey is around 8 miles each way to college, so it's not exactly hugely short journeys. I don't use the car for much else, except for the work run (which is exactly 1 minute and 32 seconds...). This may be the true cause for messing with the consumption.

Apart from that, I'm contemplating taking it to Superchips and getting the ECU remapped (w00t, chipped 1.1!!!111!!1eleven!!!one!11! O_o)

We'll see what happens...

That short drive to work is definitely not helping. Has it been cold out recently too? Cold starts and short trips where the engine can't heat up are the hardest things on motors and fuel economy.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thread Information